Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Antonio Olivares

Default No sound after update today -

--- On Wed, 7/13/11, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:

> From: Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net>
> Subject: No sound after update today -
> To: "Fedora list" <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date: Wednesday, July 13, 2011, 7:03 AM
> * * * * I ran yum
> update earlier and now I have no sound. I haven't
> * * * * found anything that restores it
> in alsamixer or p/a vol.
> * * * * control. Alsamixer [F5 for All]
> only displays two controls,
> * * * * normally there are others that
> require unmuting?
>
> * * * * I have Thunderbird mail set up
> for voice announcements for
> * * * * various e-mail sources and have
> come to rely on sound for that
> * * * * so it's a bit of a panic.
>
> * * * * This is: Linux box6
> 2.6.38.8-35.fc15.i686 #1 SMP Wed Jul 6
> * * * * 14:46:26 UTC 2011 i686 i686
> i386 GNU/Linux
>
> * * * * Any suggestions?
>
> * * * * Bob
>
> * * * * --
>
> --
Try directly with alsa:

$ alsamixer -c 0

If not proceed to check if pulseaudio is running?

Regards,

Antonio

Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Antonio Olivares

Old 07-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Bob Goodwin writes:

I ran yum update earlier and now I have no sound. I haven't
found anything that restores it in alsamixer or p/a vol.
control. Alsamixer [F5 for All] only displays two controls,
normally there are others that require unmuting?

I have Thunderbird mail set up for voice announcements for
various e-mail sources and have come to rely on sound for that
so it's a bit of a panic.

This is: Linux box6 2.6.38.8-35.fc15.i686 #1 SMP Wed Jul 6
14:46:26 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Any suggestions?

Boot with the previous kernel, and see if that fixes it.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 13/07/11 10:44, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Bob Goodwin writes:
>
>> I ran yum update earlier and now I have no sound. I haven't
>> found anything that restores it in alsamixer or p/a vol.
>> control. Alsamixer [F5 for All] only displays two controls,
>> normally there are others that require unmuting?
>>
>> I have Thunderbird mail set up for voice announcements for
>> various e-mail sources and have come to rely on sound for that
>> so it's a bit of a panic.
>>
>> This is: Linux box6 2.6.38.8-35.fc15.i686 #1 SMP Wed Jul 6
>> 14:46:26 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Boot with the previous kernel, and see if that fixes it.

Thanks Sam, that fixed it, or at least got around the problem. I
can't recall having a problem due to a new kernel, usually
everything continues to work. But I should have tried first ...

Hopefully whatever the problem will be corrected.

Bob

Old 07-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Bob Goodwin

Old 07-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Genes MailLists

On 07/13/2011 11:00 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

>> Boot with the previous kernel, and see if that fixes it.
>>

> Thanks Sam, that fixed it, or at least got around the problem. I
> can't recall having a problem due to a new kernel, usually
> everything continues to work. But I should have tried first ...
>
> Hopefully whatever the problem will be corrected.
>
> Bob

Was it rebooting that fixed it - or rebooting with an older kernel?
Can you try rebooting with newer kernel?

gene

Old 07-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Genes MailLists

Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 13/07/11 11:28, Genes MailLists wrote:

> Was it rebooting that fixed it - or rebooting with an older kernel?
> Can you try rebooting with newer kernel?
>
> gene

A good question and that only adds to the confusion. To begin
with, rebooting is a painful process and takes about a minute
and a half to get to the point where I can log in and startx.

I shut down then tried booting with the new kernel. No sound.

Then booted with the previous kernel. No Sound.

Shut down and booted again with previous kernel. Sound restored.

I always reboot after a yum update to flush out any problems
like that at my convenience rather than wait. That's what
happened this morning when I found there was no sound. It took a
while to realize I wasn't hearing the incoming message signals.

I'll try the new kernel again later, perhaps rebooting it a
second time made a difference? I prefer to think not but will
try just for laughs.

Bob

Old 07-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Genes MailLists

On 07/13/2011 12:51 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 13/07/11 11:28, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>
>> Was it rebooting that fixed it - or rebooting with an older kernel?
>> Can you try rebooting with newer kernel?
>>
>> gene
>
> A good question and that only adds to the confusion. To begin
> with, rebooting is a painful process and takes about a minute
> and a half to get to the point where I can log in and startx.

mmm ...
Was that boot time comparable on F14 or faster?

that kinda sounds like possibly something is not starting right - is
there anything in /var/log/messages?