-   -   XDMCP Remote login (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/551729-xdmcp-remote-login.html)

Doug Kuvaas 07-12-2011 09:30 PM

XDMCP Remote login

OK, I have a couple Dell Optiplex 980s that I am trying to get set up for a specialized application. *What I want to be able to do worked in Fedora 8 and earlier, but it has been broken since Fedora 9. *

PC1 I want to set up so it queries another (HP-UX) machine for a graphical CDE login to that system. *I have some success starting X manually using X -query <remotehost> -from <localhost>, but I have not been able to get the computer to boot up and display the CDE login. *

So far I have tried a fresh Fedora 15 install with no window managers installed, and after adding the remote host to /etc/hosts and /etc/X0.hosts, as well as generating an xorg.conf file using Xorg :0 -configure, I am able to get a CDE login using X -query <remotehost>*

PC2, I want to set up to act like a "dumb terminal", in other words, all I want it to do is show the blank root window and a cursor unless I am sending an application to it from the HP-UX machine. *I can get the blank root window that I am after using just X :0 -br -terminate, however I am not getting a cursor.

PC2 is actually PC1 right now as I am just trying to establish the procedure to get both done.*
I do not need any kind of display manager to be installed, though they do come in handy for some of the setup.

xorg.conf:
Section "ServerLayout" Identifier * * "X.org Configured" Screen * * *0 *"Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice * *"Mouse0" "CorePointer" InputDevice * *"Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection
Section "Files" ModulePath * "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules" FontPath * * "catalogue:/etc/X11/fontpath.d"
FontPath * * "built-ins" FontPath * * "tcp/192.168.1.56:7000"
EndSection
Section "Module" Load *"glx" Load *"extmod"
Load *"record" Load *"dbe" Load *"dri2"
Load *"dri"EndSection
Section "InputDevice" Identifier *"Keyboard0"
Driver * * *"kbd"EndSection
Section "InputDevice" Identifier *"Mouse0"
Driver * * *"mouse" Option * *"Protocol" "auto"
Option * *"Device" "/dev/input/mice" Option * *"ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection
Section "Monitor" Identifier * "Monitor0" VendorName * "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName * *"Monitor Model"EndSection
Section "Screen" Identifier "Screen0"
Device * * "Card0" Monitor * *"Monitor0" SubSection "Display"
Viewport * 0 0 Depth * * 1 EndSubSection
SubSection "Display" Viewport * 0 0 Depth * * 4
EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Viewport * 0 0
Depth * * 8 EndSubSectionEndSection
Installation was a standard vanilla "Graphical" installation with no window managers selected, and some of the development options selected. Kernel is 2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.x86_64

The X11 application that these PCs will be running requires 8 bit color depth and a resolution of 1280x1024.

Alain Spineux 07-13-2011 09:06 AM

XDMCP Remote login

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM, Doug Kuvaas <doug.kuvaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I have a couple Dell Optiplex 980s that I am trying to get set up for a
> specialized application. *What I want to be able to do worked in Fedora 8
> and earlier, but it has been broken since Fedora 9.
> PC1 I want to set up so it queries another (HP-UX) machine for a graphical
> CDE login to that system. *I have some success starting X manually using X
> -query <remotehost> -from <localhost>, but I have not been able to get the
> computer to boot up and display the CDE login.
> So far I have tried a fresh Fedora 15 install with no window managers
> installed, and after adding the remote host to /etc/hosts and /etc/X0.hosts,
> as well as generating an xorg.conf file using Xorg :0 -configure, I am able
> to get a CDE login using X -query <remotehost>

maybe try to add this to your /etc/gdm/custom.conf file

[xdmcp]
Enable=true (or 1 in some distributions)

> PC2, I want to set up to act like a "dumb terminal", in other words, all I
> want it to do is show the blank root window and a cursor unless I am sending
> an application to it from the HP-UX machine. *I can get the blank root
> window that I am after using just X :0 -br -terminate, however I am not
> getting a cursor.

X don't display cursor anymore , use -retro

> PC2 is actually PC1 right now as I am just trying to establish the procedure
> to get both done.
> I do not need any kind of display manager to be installed, though they do
> come in handy for some of the setup.
> xorg.conf:
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier * * "X.org Configured"
> Screen * * *0 *"Screen0" 0 0
> InputDevice * *"Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> InputDevice * *"Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
> Section "Files"
> ModulePath * "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
> FontPath * * "catalogue:/etc/X11/fontpath.d"
> FontPath * * "built-ins"
> FontPath * * "tcp/192.168.1.56:7000"
> EndSection
> Section "Module"
> Load *"glx"
> Load *"extmod"
> Load *"record"
> Load *"dbe"
> Load *"dri2"
> Load *"dri"
> EndSection
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier *"Keyboard0"
> Driver * * *"kbd"
> EndSection
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier *"Mouse0"
> Driver * * *"mouse"
> Option * *"Protocol" "auto"
> Option * *"Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option * *"ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
> EndSection
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier * "Monitor0"
> VendorName * "Monitor Vendor"
> ModelName * *"Monitor Model"
> EndSection
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen0"
> Device * * "Card0"
> Monitor * *"Monitor0"
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport * 0 0
> Depth * * 1
> EndSubSection
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport * 0 0
> Depth * * 4
> EndSubSection
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport * 0 0
> Depth * * 8
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
> Installation was a standard vanilla "Graphical" installation with no window
> managers selected, and some of the development options selected. Kernel is
> 2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.x86_64
> The X11 application that these PCs will be running requires 8 bit color
> depth and a resolution of 1280x1024.

Alain Spineux * * * * * * * * * | *aspineux gmail com
Monitor your iT & Backups | *http://www.magikmon.com
Free Backup front-end * * * | http://www.magikmon.com/mksbackup
Your email 100% available | *http://www.emailgency.com

Doug Kuvaas 07-13-2011 06:43 PM

XDMCP Remote login

All right, my woes for this beast are down to one. *For some reason, if I try to run X directly in 8 bit color mode, I get only greyscale output. *Because the legacy application I am running doesn't work properly with higher color depths (printing of displays doesn't work), I cannot run at a higher color depth easily without re-writing the application I am running. *

Command is Xorg :0 -terminate -br +bs -depth 8
The display driver is intel I830
Anyone have any ideas?

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" 07-14-2011 02:09 PM

XDMCP Remote login

Doug Kuvaas 07-14-2011 02:46 PM

XDMCP Remote login

I have not looked into using XNest, but it might be worth checking out.
Is it set up in a similar manner as Xorg? *These computers will have touchscreens for control and that is the one issue that I have that has the highest priority. *If I can't get the color depth thing figured out, it may be easier to re-write the portion of the application that requires 8-bit color depth than continuing to fight with the video card.

Thanks

On 07/13/2011 01:43 PM, Doug Kuvaas wrote:

> All right, my woes for this beast are down to one. *For some reason,

> if I try to run X directly in 8 bit color mode, I get only greyscale

> output. *Because the legacy application I am running doesn't work

> properly with higher color depths (printing of displays doesn't

> work), I cannot run at a higher color depth easily without

> re-writing the application I am running.

> Command is Xorg :0 -terminate -br +bs -depth 8

> The display driver is intel I830

> Anyone have any ideas?

I am coming in late on this, but have you thought of using xnest?

You could give the application its own X server running inside your

normal X server. It handles lower resolutions/colors then the main

server.

Mikkel

- --

*Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" 07-14-2011 06:03 PM

XDMCP Remote login

Doug Kuvaas 07-19-2011 10:14 PM

XDMCP Remote login

On 07/13/2011 01:43 PM, Doug Kuvaas wrote:

> All right, my woes for this beast are down to one. *For some reason,

> if I try to run X directly in 8 bit color mode, I get only greyscale

> output. *Because the legacy application I am running doesn't work

> properly with higher color depths (printing of displays doesn't

> work), I cannot run at a higher color depth easily without

> re-writing the application I am running.

> Command is Xorg :0 -terminate -br +bs -depth 8

> The display driver is intel I830

> Anyone have any ideas?

I am coming in late on this, but have you thought of using xnest?

You could give the application its own X server running inside your

normal X server. It handles lower resolutions/colors then the main

server.

Mikkel

- --

*Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,

OK, so Xephyr (another Nested X server) does address the color depth issue we were seeing. *However, our application also does not like displaying graphics on screens other than :0. *Is there w way to start up Fedora/Gnome so that it uses a different screen number for X?

Patrick Lists 07-19-2011 10:28 PM

XDMCP Remote login

On 07/20/2011 12:14 AM, Doug Kuvaas wrote:
> OK, so Xephyr (another Nested X server) does address the color depth
> issue we were seeing. However, our application also does not like
> displaying graphics on screens other than :0. Is there w way to start
> up Fedora/Gnome so that it uses a different screen number for X?

This would start X on screen 1:

$ startx -- :1

For more info:

$ man startx

Regards,
Patrick

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" 07-20-2011 12:39 AM

XDMCP Remote login

Doug Kuvaas 07-20-2011 01:38 PM

XDMCP Remote login

On 07/19/2011 05:14 PM, Doug Kuvaas wrote:

> OK, so Xephyr (another Nested X server) does address the color depth

> issue we were seeing. *However, our application also does not like

> displaying graphics on screens other than :0. *Is there w way to

> start up Fedora/Gnome so that it uses a different screen number for X?

Well, if you were using xdm as the display manager, you could edit

/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and change

:0 local /usr/bin/X :0

:1 local /usr/bin/X :1

I do not know it kdm or gdm uses that config file, or have their

own. I know they did use it way back when I needed to add an extra X

server or two. But I have not worked with this lately. I am sure

there are tools to configure them now. Someone else here is sure to

know, and post the info...

Mikkel

- --

*Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,

That has been the problem I've been running into with newer versions of Fedora. *Xorg and company have been moving towards a "work out of the box" philosophy and have done away with a lot of the config files in favor of dynamically generating these so things just work, and a simple hardware change does not break the OS as often. *I've been trying to find where Xorg is actually run, so I can get it to run the way I want.*

Now that I have played with Xephyr a little bit, I have found that I actually prefer this configuration for the way we are using these computers, as opposed to just starting X with no window manager or just querying a remote host.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Doug