Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 AM
"Nguyễn Văn Thoại"

Default No Sound in Fedora Core 8

I've upgraded my system from FC4 to FC8 and got no sound.
In FC4, the sound system worked just perfectly. However, in FC8, it doesn't work anymore.
The funny thing is that when I launch the "Soundcard Detection" program, it works (?!)

Has anyone faced this problem before?
Please help
--
Nguyễn Văn Thoại
32/27 Tran Cao Van St

Help me pay my hosting bills.
http://www.dreamhost.com/donate.cgi?id=7516

Old 02-14-2008, 07:50 AM
"Antonio M"

2008/2/14, Nguyễn Văn Thoại <nguyenvanthoai@gmail.com>:
> I've upgraded my system from FC4 to FC8 and got no sound.
> In FC4, the sound system worked just perfectly. However, in FC8, it doesn't
> work anymore.
> The funny thing is that when I launch the "Soundcard Detection" program, it
> works (?!)
> Has anyone faced this problem before?
> Please help
>
> --
> Nguyễn Văn Thoại
> 32/27 Tran Cao Van St
> Danang
> Vietnam
>
> Help me pay my hosting bills.
> http://www.dreamhost.com/donate.cgi?id=7516

what is the detected soundcard???

and did you unmute all sliders in sound control??
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 AM

Problem solved, I´ve activated the sound interface via KDE
MenuMultimediaPulseAudio Volume Control

Old 02-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 09:50 +0100, Antonio M wrote:
> 2008/2/14, Nguyễn Văn Thoại <nguyenvanthoai@gmail.com>:
> > I've upgraded my system from FC4 to FC8 and got no sound.
> > In FC4, the sound system worked just perfectly. However, in FC8, it doesn't
> > work anymore.
> > The funny thing is that when I launch the "Soundcard Detection" program, it
> > works (?!)
> > Has anyone faced this problem before?
> > Please help
> >
> > --
> > Nguyễn Văn Thoại
> > 32/27 Tran Cao Van St
> > Danang
> > Vietnam
> >
> > Help me pay my hosting bills.
> > http://www.dreamhost.com/donate.cgi?id=7516
> > --
> >
> what is the detected soundcard???
>
> and did you unmute all sliders in sound control??
What sound control are you talking about?
-

-

Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 11:17 +0700, Nguyễn Văn Thoại wrote:
> I've upgraded my system from FC4 to FC8 and got no sound.
> In FC4, the sound system worked just perfectly. However, in FC8, it
> doesn't work anymore.
> The funny thing is that when I launch the "Soundcard Detection"
> program, it works (?!)
> Has anyone faced this problem before?
> Please help
I have faced it and have complained about it for a month.

It is hard to know where to start.
Are the drivers for your card loaded? Check with lsmod
Do you have pulseaudio installed?
What sound does not work? Can you play a audio CD?
Have you installed audio codecs?
What audio card are you using?

These are amongthe things wwe need to know to help you.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Timothy Murphy

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> I have faced it and have complained about it for a month.
>
> It is hard to know where to start.
> Are the drivers for your card loaded? Check with lsmod
> Do you have pulseaudio installed?
> What sound does not work? Can you play a audio CD?
> Have you installed audio codecs?
> What audio card are you using?
>
> These are amongthe things wwe need to know to help you.

It would be great to have a wizard who asked these questions
and gave help in response ...

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Old 02-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 15:10 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > I have faced it and have complained about it for a month.
> >
> > It is hard to know where to start.
> > Are the drivers for your card loaded? Check with lsmod
> > Do you have pulseaudio installed?
> > What sound does not work? Can you play a audio CD?
> > Have you installed audio codecs?
> > What audio card are you using?
> >
> > These are amongthe things we need to know to help you.
>
> It would be great to have a wizard who asked these questions
> and gave help in response ...

Yeh, it would,but one can only try to help. I have agonized with this
for a month or more.Maybe I learned something.