FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Tom H
 
Default New Fedora DVD 64 Install replaced my previous GRUB2 info! (Dual Boot)

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Nat Gross <nat101l@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Windows 7 Ultra system with ONE 1-TB hard drive. Purchased that way.
> When the last Ubuntu (11.4 I think) was released I installed it on the
> system in order to practice KDE 4.6 when not using Windows, while
> waiting for Fedora 15. So, until my Fedora 15 install on this machine,
> Windows 7 was my primary system, KUbuntu secondary but with enough
> tweaking that I don't want to wipe it until completely comfortable
> with Fedora 15.
> So, today I installed Fedora 15 from DVD. I made sure that it did not
> use any of the used partitions and setup a new set of partitions for
> Fedora 15.
> Fedora installed ok and boots up, but to my horror F15 did not append
> itself to the Grub2 list (installed by Ubuntu). So neither Windows 7
> nor Ubuntu is available on the bootloader list.

You've installed Fedora's grub1 to the disk's MBR or to Fedora's
root/boot partition.

The simplest (although not the most elegant) is probably to chainload
Kubuntu's grub2 configuration from Fedora's grub1.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Tom H
 
Default New Fedora DVD 64 Install replaced my previous GRUB2 info! (Dual Boot)

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Nat Gross <nat101l@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Windows 7 Ultra system with ONE 1-TB hard drive. Purchased that way.
> When the last Ubuntu (11.4 I think) was released I installed it on the
> system in order to practice KDE 4.6 when not using Windows, while
> waiting for Fedora 15. So, until my Fedora 15 install on this machine,
> Windows 7 was my primary system, KUbuntu secondary but with enough
> tweaking that I don't want to wipe it until completely comfortable
> with Fedora 15.
> So, today I installed Fedora 15 from DVD. I made sure that it did not
> use any of the used partitions and setup a new set of partitions for
> Fedora 15.
> Fedora installed ok and boots up, but to my horror F15 did not append
> itself to the Grub2 list (installed by Ubuntu). So neither Windows 7
> nor Ubuntu is available on the bootloader list.

You've installed Fedora's grub1 to the disk's MBR or to Fedora's
root/boot partition.

The simplest (although not the most elegant) is probably to chainload
Kubuntu's grub2 configuration from Fedora's grub1.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Nat Gross
 
Default New Fedora DVD 64 Install replaced my previous GRUB2 info! (Dual Boot)

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Nat Gross <nat101l@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know that things just look bleak right now, someone please help me
> see all my operating systems upon boot.
>
> Ok, the details:
> Windows 7 Ultra system with ONE 1-TB hard drive. Purchased that way.
> When the last Ubuntu (11.4 I think) was released I installed it on the
> system in order to practice KDE 4.6 when not using Windows, while
> waiting for Fedora 15. So, until my Fedora 15 install on this machine,
> Windows 7 was my primary system, KUbuntu secondary but with enough
> tweaking that I don't want to wipe it until completely comfortable
> with Fedora 15.
> So, today I installed Fedora 15 from DVD. I made sure that it did not
> use any of the used partitions and setup a new set of partitions for
> Fedora 15.
> Fedora installed ok and boots up, but to my horror F15 did not append
> itself to the Grub2 list (installed by Ubuntu). So neither Windows 7
> nor Ubuntu is available on the bootloader list.
>
> This should be minor for those well versed with Grub2, but I am at a
> loss and a bit frightened.
>
> Thank you much,
> -nat

UPDATE ON THE SITUATION:
I have since re-installed Fedora 15, this time telling it to erase all
other LINUX partitions, but it still boots directly into F15.
I told it to install Grub on the mbr.
Ok, now to answer some points some good posters made to my original post.

> What made you think it would "append itself" to some other OS's bootloader config file?
> the latter can be used to chainload Fedora's GRUB from your existing GRUB2
...
> You've installed Fedora's grub1 to the disk's MBR or to Fedora's root/boot partition.

Woops. That's what I get for assuming. Since newer distros use Grub2,
I assumed that F15 which is even newer would too.
And Grub2 is more friendly between distros. KDE with Grub2 now allows
you reboot from any distro into any other.
So naturally if Grub2 would find Grub2 already installed it would (it
should!) handle it um.. politely.
Of course, GRUB knows nothing of Grub2, hence the overwrite.

Anyhow, what is the quickest safest way getting F15/Grub to see my Win 7 system?
Also, can I use the working Fedora to install/use Grub2 at this point?

Thank you much.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Nat Gross
 
Default New Fedora DVD 64 Install replaced my previous GRUB2 info! (Dual Boot)

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 11:09 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
>> O
>> UPDATE ON THE SITUATION:
>> I have since re-installed Fedora 15, this time telling it to erase all
>> other LINUX partitions, but it still boots directly into F15.
>> I told it to install Grub on the mbr.
>
> When you installed and got to the grub section, did you pay attention to
> what the screen was showing you and telling you what the drives were
> assigned to and which it considered to be 1st and 2nd? *It may have
> listed the F15 drive first instead of 2nd or 3rd or whatever.
>
>
> --
> Mike Chambers

It's a one-drive system and Win-7 was the first os [factory] installed.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Nat Gross
 
Default New Fedora DVD 64 Install replaced my previous GRUB2 info! (Dual Boot)

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 12:28 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.net> wrote:
>> > On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 11:09 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
>> >> O
>> >> UPDATE ON THE SITUATION:
>> >> I have since re-installed Fedora 15, this time telling it to erase all
>> >> other LINUX partitions, but it still boots directly into F15.
>> >> I told it to install Grub on the mbr.
>> >
>> > When you installed and got to the grub section, did you pay attention to
>> > what the screen was showing you and telling you what the drives were
>> > assigned to and which it considered to be 1st and 2nd? *It may have
>> > listed the F15 drive first instead of 2nd or 3rd or whatever.
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mike Chambers
>>
>> It's a one-drive system and Win-7 was the first os [factory] installed.
>
> Ok, it may be setup that way, but what exactly was detected as the first
> partition on the grub selection screen? *I've had it where F15 was the
> first one shown instead of the Windows partition and had to edit it and
> make the change to show it correctly. *It may be correct and no errors
> there, just making sure that part was watched just in case.

Honestly. I didn't make a note of it. I simply don't know.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Nat Gross
 
Default New Fedora DVD 64 Install replaced my previous GRUB2 info! (Dual Boot)

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Nat Gross <nat101l@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know that things just look bleak right now, someone please help me
> see all my operating systems upon boot.
>
> Ok, the details:
> Windows 7 Ultra system with ONE 1-TB hard drive. Purchased that way.
> When the last Ubuntu (11.4 I think) was released I installed it on the
> system in order to practice KDE 4.6 when not using Windows, while
> waiting for Fedora 15. So, until my Fedora 15 install on this machine,
> Windows 7 was my primary system, KUbuntu secondary but with enough
> tweaking that I don't want to wipe it until completely comfortable
> with Fedora 15.
> So, today I installed Fedora 15 from DVD. I made sure that it did not
> use any of the used partitions and setup a new set of partitions for
> Fedora 15.
> Fedora installed ok and boots up, but to my horror F15 did not append
> itself to the Grub2 list (installed by Ubuntu). So neither Windows 7
> nor Ubuntu is available on the bootloader list.
>
> This should be minor for those well versed with Grub2, but I am at a
> loss and a bit frightened.
>
> Thank you much,
> -nat
>

NEW UPDATE: A-OK!
After I did a software update (57 pkg's) and rebooted, I thought I saw
the Grub menu for a fleeting moment.
I rebooted again, this time constantly tapping the keyboard. Lo and
behold, there was Grub with option "Other", which booted Win 7 just
fine. Oh, and the default, F15 was about to load. The timeout was on 0
seconds. Kinda tough to get quicker than that!

Thank you all.
nat
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:55 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org