FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Alexander Volovics
 
Default systemctl shows 'errors'

Investigating systemctl I came across the following:

systemctl list-units --type=service --all |grep error

dbus-org.bluez.service error inactive dead dbus-org.bluez.service
livesys-late.service error inactive dead livesys-late.service
openct.service error inactive dead openct.service

The number of services listed with LOAD = error is not constant.
Sometimes I have seen more.

Is this 'standard' behaviour or something that needs correcting?

Alexander


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-12-2011, 10:43 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"
 
Default systemctl shows 'errors'

Alexander Volovics wrote:

> Investigating systemctl I came across the following:
>
> systemctl list-units --type=service --all |grep error
>
> dbus-org.bluez.service error inactive dead dbus-org.bluez.service
> livesys-late.service error inactive dead livesys-late.service
> openct.service error inactive dead openct.service
>
> The number of services listed with LOAD = error is not constant.
> Sometimes I have seen more.
>
> Is this 'standard' behaviour or something that needs correcting?

Yes, this is okay. The '--all' switch makes a lot of units appear that you
need not be concerned about unless you're debugging a systemd unit
configuration file.

They are listed because another service configured them as an ordering
dependency, which means it wants to start before or after one of the above
services start, if it exists. It does not actually require them to be
present.

Incidentally, 'error' means that systemd had a problem loading or parsing a
unit file. 'failed' indicates that it tried to start a service, but the
service itself has a problem. So, for normal troubleshooting, this command
is probably more useful:

$ systemctl list-units | grep failed

>
> Alexander
>
>

-T.C.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Alexander Volovics
 
Default systemctl shows 'errors'

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 03:43:36AM -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

> Alexander Volovics wrote:
> > Investigating systemctl I came across the following:
> > systemctl list-units --type=service --all |grep error
> > dbus-org.bluez.service error inactive dead dbus-org.bluez.service
> > livesys-late.service error inactive dead livesys-late.service
> > openct.service error inactive dead openct.service
> > The number of services listed with LOAD = error is not constant.
> > Sometimes I have seen more.
> > Is this 'standard' behaviour or something that needs correcting?

> Yes, this is okay. The '--all' switch makes a lot of units appear that you
> need not be concerned about unless you're debugging a systemd unit
> configuration file.
> They are listed because another service configured them as an ordering
> dependency, which means it wants to start before or after one of the above
> services start, if it exists. It does not actually require them to be
> present.
> Incidentally, 'error' means that systemd had a problem loading or parsing a
> unit file. 'failed' indicates that it tried to start a service, but the
> service itself has a problem. So, for normal troubleshooting, this command
> is probably more useful:
> $ systemctl list-units | grep failed

Thanks for the explanation.

Alexander

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org