Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Michael Schwendt

Default New Fedora DVD 64 Install replaced my previous GRUB2 info! (Dual Boot)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:06:32 -0400, NG (Nat) wrote:

> I know that things just look bleak right now, someone please help me
> see all my operating systems upon boot.
>
> Ok, the details:
> Windows 7 Ultra system with ONE 1-TB hard drive. Purchased that way.
> When the last Ubuntu (11.4 I think) was released I installed it on the
> system in order to practice KDE 4.6 when not using Windows, while
> waiting for Fedora 15. So, until my Fedora 15 install on this machine,
> Windows 7 was my primary system, KUbuntu secondary but with enough
> tweaking that I don't want to wipe it until completely comfortable
> with Fedora 15.
> So, today I installed Fedora 15 from DVD. I made sure that it did not
> use any of the used partitions and setup a new set of partitions for
> Fedora 15.
> Fedora installed ok and boots up, but to my horror F15 did not append
> itself to the Grub2 list (installed by Ubuntu). So neither Windows 7
> nor Ubuntu is available on the bootloader list.
>
> This should be minor for those well versed with Grub2, but I am at a
> loss and a bit frightened.

What made you think it would "append itself" to some other OS's bootloader
config file?

You've had the option to alter the bootloader installation, to either
install it into the MBR or into the boot sector of a partition. The former
overwrites any existing bootloader in the MBR. Obviously. The latter can
be used to chainload Fedora's GRUB from your existing GRUB2 - you would
append the chainloading commands to your GRUB2 manually, however.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Mike Chambers

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 11:09 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
> UPDATE ON THE SITUATION:
> I have since re-installed Fedora 15, this time telling it to erase all
> other LINUX partitions, but it still boots directly into F15.
> I told it to install Grub on the mbr.

When you installed and got to the grub section, did you pay attention to
what the screen was showing you and telling you what the drives were
assigned to and which it considered to be 1st and 2nd? It may have
listed the F15 drive first instead of 2nd or 3rd or whatever.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best town on Earth!"

Old 07-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Mike Chambers

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 12:28 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 11:09 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
> >> UPDATE ON THE SITUATION:
> >> I have since re-installed Fedora 15, this time telling it to erase all
> >> other LINUX partitions, but it still boots directly into F15.
> >> I told it to install Grub on the mbr.
> >
> > When you installed and got to the grub section, did you pay attention to
> > what the screen was showing you and telling you what the drives were
> > assigned to and which it considered to be 1st and 2nd? It may have
> > listed the F15 drive first instead of 2nd or 3rd or whatever.
> >

> > --
> > Mike Chambers
>
> It's a one-drive system and Win-7 was the first os [factory] installed.

Ok, it may be setup that way, but what exactly was detected as the first
partition on the grub selection screen? I've had it where F15 was the
first one shown instead of the Windows partition and had to edit it and
make the change to show it correctly. It may be correct and no errors
there, just making sure that part was watched just in case.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best town on Earth!"