Old 02-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Michael Klinosky

Default fun with RPMs

I've been trying to fix a repository issue on a F8 machine. I was given
a 'teach you how to fish' version of the process; I made some progress,
but now I'm stumped. The advice was to find the RPM for this release,
and find the /etc/yum.repos.d file.

I *think* that I found the RPM; on the dvd, in the directory 'Packages'
is "rpm-4.4.2.2-3.fc8.i386.rpm" - is that the file I need? (For a
download, it's .../os/Packages.)

I opened it with the archive manager. My problem is that I can't find
that repos file.

What's the story?

Old 02-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Michael Klinosky wrote:

I've been trying to fix a repository issue on a F8 machine. I was given
a 'teach you how to fish' version of the process; I made some progress,
but now I'm stumped. The advice was to find the RPM for this release,
and find the /etc/yum.repos.d file.

I *think* that I found the RPM; on the dvd, in the directory 'Packages'
is "rpm-4.4.2.2-3.fc8.i386.rpm" - is that the file I need? (For a
download, it's .../os/Packages.)

I opened it with the archive manager. My problem is that I can't find
that repos file.

What's the story?

The repository files are not part of the RPM package. Usually it is part
of some <foo>-release package where foo is the name of the repository.
In Fedora, it is in the fedora-release RPM package.

Rahul

Old 02-14-2008, 01:26 AM
Ed Greshko

Michael Klinosky wrote:

I've been trying to fix a repository issue on a F8 machine. I was given
a 'teach you how to fish' version of the process; I made some progress,
but now I'm stumped. The advice was to find the RPM for this release,
and find the /etc/yum.repos.d file.

I *think* that I found the RPM; on the dvd, in the directory 'Packages'
is "rpm-4.4.2.2-3.fc8.i386.rpm" - is that the file I need? (For a
download, it's .../os/Packages.)

I opened it with the archive manager. My problem is that I can't find
that repos file.

What's the story?

I think it would be helpful if you try to describe the "repository issue"
you are trying to fix. At least I don't know what you really mean by "find
the RPM for this release".

Old 02-14-2008, 04:38 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 21:04:37 -0500,
Michael Klinosky <mpk2@enter.net> wrote:
> I've been trying to fix a repository issue on a F8 machine. I was given
> a 'teach you how to fish' version of the process; I made some progress,
> but now I'm stumped. The advice was to find the RPM for this release,
> and find the /etc/yum.repos.d file.
>
> I *think* that I found the RPM; on the dvd, in the directory 'Packages'
> is "rpm-4.4.2.2-3.fc8.i386.rpm" - is that the file I need? (For a
> download, it's .../os/Packages.)
>
> I opened it with the archive manager. My problem is that I can't find
> that repos file.
>
> What's the story?

The repo definition files should be in the release rpm. For example the one
for rawhide is fedora-release-8.90-3.noarch.rpm . These install repo
defition config files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ . You can edit those by hand
if you want to point them at local mirrors or the like.