Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Deron Meranda

Default F15 Why does gnome-shell automatically start Adobe acroread updater? (malware?)

> If you just needed fill out forms, evince might have worked for you.

I tried Evince first, but there was some form it was having difficulty
with. And given there is a deadline for tax things, I didn't have a
lot of time to try to figure it out and was kind of forced to try
acroread. What I should have done in retrospect was create a brand
new Unix user account, did my "dirty" things there, and then deleted
it all.

I was just surprised to find that it was somehow auto-installing
things when I didn't ask it to, and when I didn't start the
application myself. I don't like surprises like that.

> You can run programs in a sandbox which will limit what they can do.
> You can use 'man sandbox' to see how to use it.

Thanks for that. It sounds useful.
--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/

Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Deron Meranda

Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/12/2011 04:19 AM, Deron Meranda wrote:
> For some reason, my Gnome 3 shell process has forked off an 'acroread'
> process which I did not start!
>
> It appears to be attempting to install itself or do something in the
> background. This is completely unacceptable, nothing should ever
> attempt to download and run some unauthenticated script and should
> never attempt to install anything without my explicit knowledge and
> permission!
>
> I consider this to be a security breach and failure of the Fedora
> security policies to permit this. In fact there should be a separate
> SELinux context for this commercial app just so it can't do anything
> to my system without my knowledge.
>
> UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
> XXX 2509 2483 0 Jul10 ? 00:00:01 gnome-session
> XXX 2615 2509 1 Jul10 ? 00:12:04 /usr/bin/gnome-shell
> XXX 16717 2615 0 13:46 ? 00:00:08 acroread
> XXX 16769 16717 20 13:46 ? 00:29:25 /bin/sh
> /tmp/acrobat.n9vv0T/AdobeReader/INSTALL --lzma=/home/XXX
> XXX 7662 16769 0 15:40 ? 00:00:00 [INSTALL] <defunct>
>
> Does the Gnome shell have some sort of auto-start or auto-update
> capability in it, that perhaps Adobe has surreptitiously hooked itself
> into. And how do I get it back out?
>

> (The only reason I even have Adobe reader is because Evince can not
> fully handle the US IRS tax forms.)

FWIW, I installed acroread via the yum repo of adobe. There are no
processes being started in GNOME or KDE at login.

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 07-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Richard Shaw

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Deron Meranda <deron.meranda@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you just needed fill out forms, evince might have worked for you.
>
> I tried Evince first, but there was some form it was having difficulty
> with. And given there is a deadline for tax things, I didn't have a
> lot of time to try to figure it out and was kind of forced to try
> acroread. * What I should have done in retrospect was create a brand
> new Unix user account, did my "dirty" things there, and then deleted
> it all.

We'll, it's not trivial (depending on your definition of trivial) but
you can (mis)-use mock to create a chroot environment which is easily
nuked when you're done with it. You have to use Xnest to create an X
session that you can export to your X session but it does work.

I've used this for testing packages I'm troubleshooting on other
releases of Fedora than what I'm running.

Thanks,
Richard