FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default run of alsa-info-sh suceeded.

>
> It would be nice to know which soundcard Frank Chiulli has on his machine,
> that gave a similar problem to you, and if the soundcard was picked up
> automatically when he did the install, or whether he had to run
> system-config-soundcard to configure the card, and only after doing that,
> discovered the badline in /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms.
>
> Aaron. Do you still have to add a "modprobe snd-cs4236" line in /etc/rc.local
> in F8, as you had to do since FC6, as per your earlier post?
>
> I wonder if this is a kernel, or Alsa related problem, as you said it wasn't
> limited to Fedora 6 onwards, but also on Ubuntu 6.06, 7.2, and 7.10,
> therefore the problem with snd-cs4236 does not, on the face of it appear to
> be distro specific. By the way, and IIRC, I thought I read somewhere that
> support for isa soundcards was not as it used to be.
>
> Would you download this script, as below, run it, and post the link to
> pastebin back. It may well provide some usefull info about your machine,
> soundcard, etc.
>
> http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh
>
> It may be usefull to the Alsa development folks, and I'll post the pastebin
> link there, with all the relevant details regarding your isa soundcard, and
> what is necessary to get it to work.
>
> Nice to have the sounds working again eh!
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.
>
Well I got alsa-info.sh to run and the result is posted at:
http://pastebin.ca/903074

The result does nto seem as complete as the result from the f7 run.
Anyway, if anyone can learn anything from this output please share your
thoughts with me.



--
================================================== =====================
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 02-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Nigel Henry
 
Default run of alsa-info-sh suceeded.

On Thursday 14 February 2008 00:42, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > Aaron. Do you still have to add a "modprobe snd-cs4236" line in
> > /etc/rc.local in F8, as you had to do since FC6, as per your earlier
> > post?

> > Would you download this script, as below, run it, and post the link to
> > pastebin back. It may well provide some usefull info about your machine,
> > soundcard, etc.
> >
> > http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh
> >
> > It may be usefull to the Alsa development folks, and I'll post the
> > pastebin link there, with all the relevant details regarding your isa
> > soundcard, and what is necessary to get it to work.
> >
> > Nice to have the sounds working again eh!
> >
> > All the best.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Well I got alsa-info.sh to run and the result is posted at:
> http://pastebin.ca/903074
>
> The result does nto seem as complete as the result from the f7 run.
> Anyway, if anyone can learn anything from this output please share your
> thoughts with me.

Hi Aaron. The output from running the script on F8 is very incomplete. I've
asked the question on the alsa-devel list, as to whether the script works
with ISA cards as it does with PCI cards, but no answer yet.

Tell me though. You say you ran the script on F7. Is that on the same machine
as F8, and the same cs4236 ISA soundcard?

I don't want to drag this out, as you have the sounds working now, but it
would be nice to find out why you have had to add a modprobe snd-cs4236 line
to /etc/rc.local since FC6 for the ISA module to be loaded.

Nigel.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 02-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default run of alsa-info-sh suceeded.

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 21:41 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Thursday 14 February 2008 00:42, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > > Aaron. Do you still have to add a "modprobe snd-cs4236" line in
> > > /etc/rc.local in F8, as you had to do since FC6, as per your earlier
> > > post?
>
> > > Would you download this script, as below, run it, and post the link to
> > > pastebin back. It may well provide some usefull info about your machine,
> > > soundcard, etc.
> > >
> > > http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh
> > >
> > > It may be usefull to the Alsa development folks, and I'll post the
> > > pastebin link there, with all the relevant details regarding your isa
> > > soundcard, and what is necessary to get it to work.
> > >
> > > Nice to have the sounds working again eh!
> > >
> > > All the best.
> > >
> > > Nigel.
> >
> > Well I got alsa-info.sh to run and the result is posted at:
> > http://pastebin.ca/903074
> >
> > The result does nto seem as complete as the result from the f7 run.
> > Anyway, if anyone can learn anything from this output please share your
> > thoughts with me.
>
> Hi Aaron. The output from running the script on F8 is very incomplete. I've
> asked the question on the alsa-devel list, as to whether the script works
> with ISA cards as it does with PCI cards, but no answer yet.
>
> Tell me though. You say you ran the script on F7. Is that on the same machine
> as F8, and the same cs4236 ISA soundcard?
>
> I don't want to drag this out, as you have the sounds working now, but it
> would be nice to find out why you have had to add http://pastebin.ca/904944 a modprobe snd-cs4236 line
> to /etc/rc.local since FC6 for the ISA module to be loaded.
>
> Nigel.
>
As I said I know it is incomplete but I willing to have you draw it out
till we find an answer. The f7 is on a different machine and thee script
output canbe seen at:
http://pastebin.ca/904944

It seems clear that this script works only for pci cards. Let me know
what you find out since this has been a real pain.
--
================================================== =====================
It's better to burn out than it is to rust.
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org