Old 06-30-2011, 09:38 PM

Default Wine fonts makes html rendering on firefox and chrome much worse

Hi there,

Please someone help me find out how to solve this problem: for some weeks I have been experiencing problems with fonts on Firefox and Chrome when acessing two different webmail systems. At first I though the problem was caused by remi RPMs I used to install Firefox 4 on Fedora 14. I installed Fedora 15 and everything was fine for a while, and then fonts became strange again. When firefox started having font problems, Google Chrome started also.

The problem was: Bold fonts and regular fonts look almost the same. Bold fonts had a wider average character width, but were not thicker.

So I got another computer, installed Fedora 15 from scratch, and compared the results. Everything fine. Updated all packages, including rpmfusion ones. Also fine.

Then I noticed the new system was missing some packages I use, I guess they come from rpmfusion: gnome-mplayer and wine. After installing those, the font problem in Firefox and Chrome was back again.

But this time I saved the output of rpm -qa at each step, then I compared the latest working state with the one that wasn't. I noticed there are a number of wine-*-fonts packages, and removed then (I also had to remove wine itself). Problem solved!

Can anyone explain why either wine itself (or wine fonts) interfere with web browser page rendering?

And how can I re-install wine without messing up with web page fonts?

[]s, Fernando Lozano