Old 06-30-2011, 03:12 AM
Petrus de Calguarium

Default Google Chrome browser and Kwallet

I just nstalled Google Chrome to test it. Immediately, it asked to open
Kwallet. I allowed it, and then I thought... Yikes! Should I have done that?

Why does Google chrome need to see the contents of Kwallet even before I have
visited a web site and while all I am doing is configuring it? Is it looking at
other stuff I have stored in my wallet?

Old 06-30-2011, 03:53 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/30/2011 11:12 AM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> I just nstalled Google Chrome to test it. Immediately, it asked to open
> Kwallet. I allowed it, and then I thought... Yikes! Should I have done that?
>
> Why does Google chrome need to see the contents of Kwallet even before I have
> visited a web site and while all I am doing is configuring it? Is it looking at
> other stuff I have stored in my wallet?

I don't think I would assume it is asking for your password in order to
look for anything immediately. It should just as easily be opening it
to check that the structure it uses/needs exists and then create it if
not.

Are you concerned that Chrome maybe doing something evil?

Old 06-30-2011, 04:21 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 11:53 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/30/2011 11:12 AM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> > I just nstalled Google Chrome to test it. Immediately, it asked to open
> > Kwallet. I allowed it, and then I thought... Yikes! Should I have done that?
> >
> > Why does Google chrome need to see the contents of Kwallet even before I have
> > visited a web site and while all I am doing is configuring it? Is it looking at
> > other stuff I have stored in my wallet?
> >

> I don't think I would assume it is asking for your password in order to
> look for anything immediately. It should just as easily be opening it
> to check that the structure it uses/needs exists and then create it if
> not.
>
> Are you concerned that Chrome maybe doing something evil?

$ google-chrome --help

[...]

--password-store=<basic|gnome|kwallet>
Set the password store to use. The default is to automatically detect based on the desktop environment. basic
selects the built in, unencrypted password store. gnome selects Gnome keyring. kwallet selects (KDE) KWallet.
(Note that KWallet may not work reliably outside KDE.)

Maybe the autodetection is buggy. I know that on one installation I get
the nagging KDE Wallet window all the time (even when revisiting a page
I've been on before in the same session), while on the other I never see
it. Both are using KDE.

poc

Old 06-30-2011, 05:14 AM
Petrus de Calguarium

Ed Greshko wrote:

> Are you concerned that Chrome maybe doing something evil?

Yes. even though I do use google services, I don't trust them and I have never
trusted their browser or their addon toolbar, etc. I use firefox and like it,
but I wanted to have a look at chrome, because of its recent rise in
popularity.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:16 AM
Petrus de Calguarium

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> google-chrome --help

good idea. I never thought of running it that way.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:27 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/30/2011 01:14 PM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Are you concerned that Chrome maybe doing something evil?
> Yes. even though I do use google services, I don't trust them and I have never
> trusted their browser or their addon toolbar, etc. I use firefox and like it,
> but I wanted to have a look at chrome, because of its recent rise in
> popularity.

I see.... Well, if your level of trust is that low you may be better
served by running it on a clean, minimal VM instead of on your
"production" system.

Isn't Chrome source code available? I thought it was.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:16 AM
John Aldrich

On Thu June 30 2011, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> $ google-chrome --help
>
> [...]
>
> --password-store=<basic|gnome|kwallet>
> Set the password store to use. The default is to
> automatically detect based on the desktop environment. basic
> selects the built in, unencrypted password store. gnome selects
> Gnome keyring. kwallet selects (KDE) KWallet. (Note that KWallet may
> not work reliably outside KDE.)
>
> Maybe the autodetection is buggy. I know that on one installation I get
> the nagging KDE Wallet window all the time (even when revisiting a page
> I've been on before in the same session), while on the other I never see
> it. Both are using KDE.

Had a similar problem with Chrome just pop up out of the blue. I changed
the web browser in systemsettings from "google chrome" to "google-chrome --
password-store=kwallet" and ran like that for a couple days, then gave up
and removed the "--passwordstore=..." bit and voila! I am now no longer
propmted for my KWallet password.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 06:16 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Thu June 30 2011, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> > $ google-chrome --help
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > --password-store=<basic|gnome|kwallet>
> > Set the password store to use. The default is to
> > automatically detect based on the desktop environment. basic
> > selects the built in, unencrypted password store. gnome selects
> > Gnome keyring. kwallet selects (KDE) KWallet. (Note that KWallet may
> > not work reliably outside KDE.)
> >
> > Maybe the autodetection is buggy. I know that on one installation I get
> > the nagging KDE Wallet window all the time (even when revisiting a page
> > I've been on before in the same session), while on the other I never see
> > it. Both are using KDE.
> >
> Had a similar problem with Chrome just pop up out of the blue. I changed
> the web browser in systemsettings from "google chrome" to "google-chrome --
> password-store=kwallet" and ran like that for a couple days, then gave up
> and removed the "--passwordstore=..." bit and voila! I am now no longer
> propmted for my KWallet password.

Thanks, maybe I'll try that on the one that keeps nagging. From your
description, clearly it is buggy.

poc

Old 06-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
John Aldrich

On Thu June 30 2011, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > Had a similar problem with Chrome just pop up out of the blue. I
> > changed the web browser in systemsettings from "google chrome" to
> > "google-chrome -- password-store=kwallet" and ran like that for a
> > couple days, then gave up and removed the "--passwordstore=..." bit
> > and voila! I am now no longer propmted for my KWallet password.
>
> Thanks, maybe I'll try that on the one that keeps nagging. From your
> description, clearly it is buggy.

May also need to go in and turn on/off "sync". I messed with that bit as
well. Currently disabled, and I don't recall if it was ENabled or DISabled
when I changed that.