Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
John Aldrich

Default Google Chrome browser and Kwallet

On Thu June 30 2011, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > Had a similar problem with Chrome just pop up out of the blue. I
> > changed the web browser in systemsettings from "google chrome" to
> > "google-chrome -- password-store=kwallet" and ran like that for a
> > couple days, then gave up and removed the "--passwordstore=..." bit
> > and voila! I am now no longer propmted for my KWallet password.
>
> Thanks, maybe I'll try that on the one that keeps nagging. From your
> description, clearly it is buggy.

May also need to go in and turn on/off "sync". I messed with that bit as
well. Currently disabled, and I don't recall if it was ENabled or DISabled
when I changed that.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Ed Greshko

> On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 06:16 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
>> On Thu June 30 2011, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>> $ google-chrome --help
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> --password-store=<basic|gnome|kwallet>
>>> Set the password store to use. The default is to
>>> automatically detect based on the desktop environment. basic
>>> selects the built in, unencrypted password store. gnome selects
>>> Gnome keyring. kwallet selects (KDE) KWallet. (Note that KWallet may
>>> not work reliably outside KDE.)
>>>
>>> Maybe the autodetection is buggy. I know that on one installation I get
>>> the nagging KDE Wallet window all the time (even when revisiting a page
>>> I've been on before in the same session), while on the other I never see
>>> it. Both are using KDE.
>>>
>> Had a similar problem with Chrome just pop up out of the blue. I changed
>> the web browser in systemsettings from "google chrome" to "google-chrome --
>> password-store=kwallet" and ran like that for a couple days, then gave up
>> and removed the "--passwordstore=..." bit and voila! I am now no longer
>> propmted for my KWallet password.
>>
> Thanks, maybe I'll try that on the one that keeps nagging. From your
> description, clearly it is buggy.

Since I am the only one using this system, I just changed the kwallet
settings. I unchecked "Close when unused for XXXX" and checked "Close
when last application stops using it".

I get one prompt the first time any application uses the wallet and
never get prompted again unless I logout.

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 06-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Ed Greshko wrote:

> Isn't Chrome source code available? I thought it was.

That doesn't help me a lot.

I took 2 years of Computer Science back in the early 80s (learned
pascal, c, assembly language, fortran) and I can still understand short
pieces of code, but when it gets complicated or much longer than this
post, I am lost. And I certainly do not have the time to examine the
code of chrome. I believe it was 28 MB in size.