Old 06-29-2011, 03:12 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Default gnu linux update question

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 11:04 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/29/2011 10:51 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:

> >> Usually ordinary users are prohibited from accessing /proc/<whatever>
> >> from what I remember. That is why root works and joe-blow does not.
> >>
> >> James McKenzie
> >>
> > I'm totally fine with it - but seems to work for some - curiosity now.
> >
> > I wonder if those for whom it works are in group wheel or something -
> > perhaps as my firstboot failed when systemd got its knickers in a twist
> > with the luks passwords and firstboot and i915 graphics somehow first
> > boot was a black screen .. dont recall now if f15 or f16 puts first user
> > in wheel group - and if that matters at all.
> >

> I took a quick read of the python script....
>
> It would seem that if one is not running as root it will check the PIDs
> of the user invoking the command to see if any of those processes need
> to be restarted.

Only if invoked with the '-u' option.

> I ran it as a user running KDE....and it took several seconds to
> complete....lots of PIDs for that user.
>
> I ran it as a user that had ssh'd in. Completed very fast....only a
> couple of PIDs.
>
> Of course an ordinary user can access many /proc/<whatever> ....
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo being one of many....

Not relevant. Only /proc/[0-9]* are considered.

poc

Old 06-29-2011, 03:18 AM
James McKenzie

On 6/28/11 8:04 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/29/2011 10:51 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>> Usually ordinary users are prohibited from accessing /proc/<whatever>
>>> from what I remember. That is why root works and joe-blow does not.
>>>
>>> James McKenzie
>>>
>> I'm totally fine with it - but seems to work for some - curiosity now.
>>
>> I wonder if those for whom it works are in group wheel or something -
>> perhaps as my firstboot failed when systemd got its knickers in a twist
>> with the luks passwords and firstboot and i915 graphics somehow first
>> boot was a black screen .. dont recall now if f15 or f16 puts first user
>> in wheel group - and if that matters at all.
>>

> I took a quick read of the python script....
>
> It would seem that if one is not running as root it will check the PIDs
> of the user invoking the command to see if any of those processes need
> to be restarted.
>
> I ran it as a user running KDE....and it took several seconds to
> complete....lots of PIDs for that user.
>
> I ran it as a user that had ssh'd in. Completed very fast....only a
> couple of PIDs.
>
> Of course an ordinary user can access many /proc/<whatever> ....
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo being one of many....
I was referring to /proc/<pid whatever> when that user did not 'own' the
process. I'm under the impression that this is/was part of the security
'features' of Fedora Linux. I don't have a RH box to look at and verify.

Of course, I have been known to be incorrect and if I am in this case,
something else is happening then.

James

Old 06-29-2011, 03:21 AM
Ed Greshko

> Only if invoked with the '-u' option.

I said it was a "quick read"... :-)

But, it is interesting that it runs fast under the KDE's user and quick
on the ssh user. Neither of which is in the wheel group.

>> I ran it as a user running KDE....and it took several seconds to
>> complete....lots of PIDs for that user.
>>
>> I ran it as a user that had ssh'd in. Completed very fast....only a
>> couple of PIDs.
>>
>> Of course an ordinary user can access many /proc/<whatever> ....
>>
>> cat /proc/cpuinfo being one of many....
> Not relevant. Only /proc/[0-9]* are considered.

I should have clarified. My statement was in the context of
/proc/<whatever> and not in what the script is looking at. But, as you
say, even many of those are world readable.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/29/2011 11:18 AM, James McKenzie wrote:
> I was referring to /proc/<pid whatever> when that user did not 'own' the
> process. I'm under the impression that this is/was part of the security
> 'features' of Fedora Linux. I don't have a RH box to look at and verify.

Right.... Understand now....

But, as poc has indicated, many of those owned even by root are readable.