Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Default gnu linux update question

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> needs-restarting

Never heard of it. I will definitely man it and add it to my repertory of
knowledge.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> The upshot is that if a process has a file open, and that file is
> replaced by a different one (using unlink and creat) then the process
> will continue to use the old file and all its attributes. When the
> process closes the file, or terminates, the reference disappears and the
> system then recovers the space.

I make use of this when I save youtube movies. Flash deletes the file as soon
as it is downloaded, but as long as the flash/nspluginwrapper processes are
still running, the deleted file can be captured and copied to another location.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

> Then you should know to run needs-restarting when it has finished to check
> for this yourself.

Thanks for the info. Finally, after so many years, I *do* understand how it is
meant that it is not required to reboot.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Genes MailLists

> After updating, I always run needs-restarting to see what running
> processes are affected. I'm surprised more people don't seem to know
> about this program.

Does this work as regular user for you? For me - selinux makes it crash.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 13:49 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/28/2011 12:22 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>

> > After updating, I always run needs-restarting to see what running
> > processes are affected. I'm surprised more people don't seem to know
> > about this program.
> >

> Does this work as regular user for you? For me - selinux makes it crash.

I haven't had any trouble with it, and I have SElinux enabled and
enforcing.

poc

Old 06-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/28/2011 08:59 AM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Could someone explain how reboots are not needed in Linux for updates to
> _take_, given the evidence to the contrary.

If I'm not mistaken (and I could be) mesa is part of the graphics
subsystem. If so, simply suspending your computer and coming back would
not unload the old version and load the new. Logging out and back in,
however, would.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:46 PM
mike cloaked

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:

>> After updating, I always run needs-restarting to see what running
>> processes are affected. I'm surprised more people don't seem to know
>> about this program.
>>

> *Does this work as regular user for you? For me - *selinux makes it crash.

Right now nothing needs restarting as normal user for me - however running
$ needs-restarting -u
$ needs-restarting
$ needs-restarting -h
$ Usage:
needs-restarting: Report a list of process ids of programs that started
running before they or some component they use were updated.

-h, --help show this help message and exit
-u, --useronly show processes for my userid only
$

So no selinux problems for me - this is in f14 32 bit.

Or does it cause problems if there is a process that needs restarting?

--
mike c

Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/28/2011 09:21 AM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Andrew Haley wrote:
>
>> How could it be otherwise?
>
> If a file has been deleted, the proper thing would be for the running process
> to read the new copy into memory.

And how, pray tell, would the running process know that? In Unix and
Linux a file doesn't completely go away until the last program using it
closes the (otherwise deleted) file. Programs trying to open the file
will either get the new version, if there is one, or create a new copy
if it wasn't replaced. AFAIK, this has always been true, and what the
OP was complaining about is just the way things are. I can well
understand why the OP is Not Happy with the situation, but there's not
much that can be done about it.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Joe Zeff

> After updating, I always run needs-restarting to see what running
> processes are affected. I'm surprised more people don't seem to know
> about this program.

I do daily updates via yumex. Long ago I learned that the included
Update Manager was very good at finding updates but would always insist
that I wasn't on-line when it came to doing the update. I'd never heard
of needs-restarting before, so Thanx! BTW, having run it today, I
gather that no output means that you're OK?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Genes MailLists

On 06/28/2011 02:46 PM, mike cloaked wrote:>

> So no selinux problems for me - this is in f14 32 bit.
>
> Or does it cause problems if there is a process that needs restarting?

Its 64 bit - and sealert is broken as well because of the libreport
"thing" ... I have run fixfiles restore ...