Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Adrian Sevcenco

Default f15 :: how to activate the network to start at boot

Hi! So .. overall fedora (and fedora 15) is an extraordinary distro from
the point of view of KDE integration (of which i am completely dependent
for work (development) as for personal tasks(multimedia))
From some other points .. its a pain ..
For example ... NetworkManager is a piece of !@#$ it doenst see any
wireless even if tools like Wireless Assistant or WiFi Radar (2.0.s08)
see a lot of APs .. in order to make my wireless to work i have to
remove the NetworkManager packets .. now wireless is working and with
WiFi Radar i can connect over wireless ..
Now the problem is that over the wire the network service is not
starting automatically and after the boot i have to start the service by
hand ...
The exact question is : how is done in systemd (other piece of ..
wisdom) to automatically start a service? it seems tha chkconfig is not
working ... and ALSO THE SYSTEM-CONFIG-SERVICES IS NOT WORKING!!!!!!!
I apologize for my tone, but frustration is great when so great
opposites (greatly done distro) and some not-thought-enough-through
choices are colliding head to head ..
Thank you,
Adrian

Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM
edik landave

Take it easy, it's just a common thing, as root run:

chkconfig network on

service network start

The first one will make sure that the network service starts every
time you boot the machine && the second will start it immediately if
you haven't done so.

A few years ago I myself get rid of Network Manager & used only the
iwconfig tool ( I wrote down a little script) to connect to my home &&
work. Right now is more reliable so I don't know what could be your
scenario.

Regarding system-config-services don't worry about it. Use chkconfig
it's simple, faster && more reliable. Just read man 8 chkconfig and
you'll get it in no time.

Regards,

Edik

Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Adrian Sevcenco

On 06/28/11 17:38, edik landave wrote:
> Take it easy, it's just a common thing, as root run:
>
> chkconfig network on
>
> service network start
>
> The first one will make sure that the network service starts every
> time you boot the machine && the second will start it immediately if
> you haven't done so.
thanks .. i usually use this commands but for some reason i was under
the impression that chkconfig is not workable anymore as his settings
are going to be overwritten anyway by systemd
so, at least for network, chkconfig worked

thanks,
adrian