Old 06-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Lawrence E Graves

Default Support of 6g HHDs

Does or will Linux have software to support the new 6g hard drives and
motherboards that have 6g ports on them?
--
Lawrence E Graves <lgraves@risingstarmbc.com>
All things are workable but don't all things work.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Gilboa Davara

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 06:14 -0600, Lawrence E Graves wrote:
> Does or will Linux have software to support the new 6g hard drives and
> motherboards that have 6g ports on them?

I assume that you mean SATA III / 6Gbit?
The answer is: As long as your SATA chipset is supported, yes - but
you'll have to be more specific (about your motherboard make and
version).

- Gilboa

Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Bill Davidsen

Lawrence E Graves wrote:
> Does or will Linux have software to support the new 6g hard drives and
> motherboards that have 6g ports on them?

WFM. I added a pair of 2TB drives on the last spare SATA posrt I had, and 6Gbit
seems to work ok, although there's no promise that your devices will drive it a
lot faster. If I can ever justify the cost I would like to use an SSD for my
system drive, and I'll go 6Gbit when/if I go at all. Not sure it will make a big
difference, but the price delta is likely to be even smaller by the time I do it.

Your answer is YES, it works now, fc14 and later at least, haven't tried with
anything older. Oh, and 4k hardware sectors work as well, although I haven't
benchmarked anything, the drives work, I set one up for someone the other day.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>