Old 06-28-2011, 11:42 AM
fedora

Default Back to fedora 13

Installation here:
powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor processors (4
cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon RS 740 chip

After a lost week of trying, googling, trying again, experimenting,
booting... i decided to go back to fedora 13. i need to have an
operational computer, not an experimental one.

1.
Desktop Background: can't create a Gradient: you can only enter one color

2.
VirtualBox, upon suspend/hibernate, gets a TERM signal, upon which all
started VMs ask, whether they should get the Shutdown signal, etc.

3.
Impossible to configure two-click copy-and-paste. Upon selecting some
text, you always have to use right click and then "copy" and again right
click and then "paste". Emulate3Buttons in /etc/X11/xorg.conf does nothing.

4.
You cannot edit the gnome-top panel manually. Drag-and-Drop from the
Preferrred list (dash) is no longer possible, if you have reinstalled
the GNOME Desktop Group.

5.
the shutdown menu, when selected from the username menu on the right top
corner, does not show up in many situations, possibly depending on
whether VirtualBox is running or not?

6.
After installation, it is no longer possible to change the time
presentation in the top panel, e.g. you cannot select "date and time"

7.
After reinstallation of GNOME Desktop Group, the bottom panel/status
panel does no longer show up, and no way to change panel configuration
manually.

8.
With gnome-shell functionality, changing the workspace only takes 4
mouse clicks, whereas it requires 1 single mouse click when using the
bottom workspace selecter (if it where presented)

9.
using compiz window-manager is no longer possible with fedora 15, you
can't bring compiz away from its start-up failure
"GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing"

10.
you cannot edit the launchers presented in the dash, like e.g. to add
geometry parameters to the gnome-terminal-launcher

11.
Firefox 4, sometimes (?), does not execute Javascipt correctly,
parameters from the HTML page are not copied correctly?

12.
The system log /var/log/messages is full of "[drm:drm_edid_block_valid]
*ERROR* EDID checksum is invalid, remainder is 152" and follow-ups,
which apparently are generated every 5 seconds.

13.
you cannot run gnome-shell with the kernel parameter NOMODESET set,
which would avoid the nuisance of number 12.

14.
But in contrast, the NOMODESET kernel parameter is set after
installation: fedora 15 disables itself.

15.
impossible to prevent gnome-screensaver to lock the session after
resuming from suspend/hibernate. The lock/nolock switch in system
settings/screen is changing nothing. Only killing the gnome-screensaver
process altoghether helps.

16.
After once selecting Suspend from the top-right menu Power-down, you
cannot access Hibernate any more. The only choices you got afer that,
are Suspend directly in the top-right menu, and various types of
shutting down from the top-right menu Power Off when pressing ALT. In a
terminal window you may enter pm-hibernate.

17.
Fedora 15 Kickstart installation is broken and can be started only after
applying a patch to the installer

suomi

Old 06-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 13:42 +0200, fedora wrote:
> After a lost week of trying, googling, trying again, experimenting,
> booting... i decided to go back to fedora 13. i need to have an
> operational computer, not an experimental one.

Be aware that as of last week F13 is no longer supported. That means no
updates, even for serious security problems. If that fits your
definition of "operational" than so be it.

poc

Old 06-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Old 06-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Genes MailLists

> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 13:42 +0200, fedora wrote:
>> After a lost week of trying, googling, trying again, experimenting,
>> booting... i decided to go back to fedora 13. i need to have an
>> operational computer, not an experimental one.
>
> Be aware that as of last week F13 is no longer supported. That means no
> updates, even for serious security problems. If that fits your
> definition of "operational" than so be it.
>
> poc

Most people I know who are unhappy with Gnome 3hell have moved to other
DE's - (xfce, kde or lxde).

You may want to try one of those .. it will give you a chance to learn
all about systemd too :-)

gene

Old 06-28-2011, 03:08 PM
fedora

Hi Gene
hey, that sounds like an idea.
Or i may wait for F16, probably some of my problems will be solved therein.

suomi