Old 06-27-2011, 08:41 PM
jackson byers

Default backup copy of F14 boots, but can't login

My backup copy of F14 boots, all looks normal,*boot messages all "OK"
but then I can't login: *after entering my passwordthe screen recycles to the login screen,and continues to do this if I keep trying.

[byers@f14 ~]$ uname -r2.6.35.13-92.fc14.i686.PAE
hints?, advice?
Jack

Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Kam Leo

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM, jackson byers <byersjab@gmail.com> wrote:
> My backup copy of F14 boots, all looks normal,
> *boot messages all "OK"
> but then I can't login: *after entering my password
> the screen recycles to the login screen,
> and continues to do this if I keep trying.
> [byers@f14 ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.35.13-92.fc14.i686.PAE
> hints?, advice?
> Jack

Boot into runlevel 3, log in as root, and reset the user's password.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Tim

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 13:41 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> I can't login: after entering my password
> the screen recycles to the login screen,
> and continues to do this if I keep trying.
>
> [byers@f14 ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.35.13-92.fc14.i686.PAE
>
> hints?, advice?

I've seen this, long ago, when the tmp directory permissions were wrong.
The usual drwxr-xr-x directory defaults don't suit, sticky permissions
were needed.

i.e. drwxrwxrwt 221 root root 20480 2011-06-28 09:23 tmp

You could see if that were still the case.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Lamar Owen

On Monday, June 27, 2011 04:41:43 PM jackson byers wrote:
> My backup copy of F14 boots, all looks normal,
> boot messages all "OK"
>
> but then I can't login: after entering my password
> the screen recycles to the login screen,
> and continues to do this if I keep trying.

Home directories require specific SELinux contexts. If you have SELinux on and enforcing, and you back up /home without backing up the SELinux contexts this will happen. If you go to a text console (Ctrl-Alt-F2 for one), and try to log in there, if this is the problem it should tell you that it can't change the working directory.

Either backup with an SELinux context preserving tool (such as star or dump or a disk clone) or run fixfiles ('fixfiles relabel' or 'touch /.autorelabel' and reboot)).

Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Lamar Owen

Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 06-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Ed Greshko

Kam Leo <kam.leo@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM, jackson byers <byersjab@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> My backup copy of F14 boots, all looks normal,
>> *boot messages all "OK"
>> but then I can't login: *after entering my password
>> the screen recycles to the login screen,
>> and continues to do this if I keep trying.
>> [byers@f14 ~]$ uname -r
>> 2.6.35.13-92.fc14.i686.PAE
>> hints?, advice?
>> Jack
>
>Boot into runlevel 3, log in as root, and reset the user's password.

I wonder about one thing. The OP didn't say if the login screen shows Authentication Failure when it recycles.

I too would boot to run level 3. But I would first try a regular login. If that worked, the I would try startx.

--
Sent from my Android tablet with K-9 Mail.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Ed Greshko

Old 06-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Lamar Owen

On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 07:44:32 AM Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> > Either backup with an SELinux context preserving tool (such as star or dump or a disk clone) or run fixfiles ('fixfiles relabel' or 'touch /.autorelabel' and reboot)).
> Easier is to just run
>
> restorecon -R -v /home

If only /home needs relabeling, that is true.

However, if /home is backed up without the correct contexts, the rest of the system likely has context problems.....