Old 06-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Lamar Owen

Default backup copy of F14 boots, but can't login

On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 07:44:32 AM Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> > Either backup with an SELinux context preserving tool (such as star or dump or a disk clone) or run fixfiles ('fixfiles relabel' or 'touch /.autorelabel' and reboot)).
> Easier is to just run
>
> restorecon -R -v /home

If only /home needs relabeling, that is true.

However, if /home is backed up without the correct contexts, the rest of the system likely has context problems.....

Old 06-28-2011, 06:41 PM
jackson byers

thanks for all of the responsesto Tim: sticky bits on /tmp are setto Ed Greshko: *I do not see 'authentication failure', the login screen just recycles
to Kam Leo, others: * I can't get *runlevel 3 to take effect:

Working from my mainf14,I changed the */etc/inittab in the f14backup,*[root@f14 ~]# cd /media/rootusb2_[root@f14 rootusb2_]# cat etc/inittab...id:3:initdefault:
[root@f14 rootusb2_]#*
rebooted to the backupf14, same response,acts like still in X blue screen, *login *screen just recycles, no change at all.

To Lamar Owen, Dan Walsh:I feel like a perpetual newbie re selinux.Not sure how to proceed,*because I can't get past the login screen in *backupf14 .Anything I can do re selinux, working from my mainf14?

Jack

Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 PM
jackson byers

per Lamar Owenfrom my mainf14, put in .autolabel *into my backupf14 /[root@f14 rootusb2_]# ls -la*...-rw-r--r--. * 1 root root * * 0 Jun 28 12:14 .autorelabel

then rebooted to backup14it took its time doing relabel (20min?)then rebooted automatically, but to mainf14,so I rebooted manually to backupf14,andthis time didnt get stuck in login recycle!
but was left with a spinning circle pointer lasted 5min?maybe more of the relabel process?
[byers@f14 df12mail]$ mount/dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw)that's my backupf14 */

I am sending this email from my backupf14.
Still something not right:*why wasnt i put in runlevel 3?[root@f14 ~]# cat /etc/inittab...
id:3:initdefault:[root@f14 ~]#
will report back after I try one or more reboots
Jack

Old 06-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Ed Greshko

On 06/29/2011 02:41 AM, jackson byers wrote:
> thanks for all of the responses
> to Tim: sticky bits on /tmp are set
> to Ed Greshko: I do not see 'authentication failure', the login
> screen just recycles
>
> to Kam Leo, others: I can't get runlevel 3 to take effect:
>

>From the login screen can you do a "Ctrl + Alt + F2" and get a virtual
terminal?

If so, can you login as yourself, root?

If that works, can you edit your grub.conf to make sure it starts in
level 3? And then try startx? Or, can you look the /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and other log files to see if you can spot the problem?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 06-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 PM
jackson byers

. Daniel Walsh wrote
>Are you booting with selinux=0 or enforcing=0?
*No*
[byers@f14 ~]$ cat /etc/selinux/config...*
SELINUX=enforcing*...SELINUXTYPE=targeted*

Dan,you are responding to my initial responseto you and Lamar Owen, where I was freaking out
over having to deal with selinux.
Since then I have followed Lamar's advice," touch /.autorelabel, reboot",and *that fixed my main problem, my backupF14 now
is no longer caught in that endless login recycle.See my later replies in this thread.
I had first tried your advice"restorecon -R -v /home"
without effect,*allthough that was done from my mainF14operating on the mounted *backupF14 /home.I have no idea if that should make a difference or not.
If the latter is not an issue,
it then appears to me that Lamar's response to your adviceis correct:> from: Lamar Owen*
>> restorecon -R -v /home
>If only /home needs relabeling, that is true.

>However, if /home is backed up without the correct contexts,> the rest of the system likely has context problems.....
With regard to*" backed up without the correct contexts"
*I *have no doubt that was the case, because I was unaware*of any need for, or how to implement, *"correct contexts" .I used an rsync-based backup tool (rbu, Vincent Stemen)
on all dirs under /,*leaving out */proc, /sys, */mnt, /media, /opt
thanks for response
Jack