FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Shailesh Srivastava
 
Default problem in installation of software fedora 15

I am trying to install gedit (tar.bz2) using following command
1) tar xvjf package name (run successfully )
2)cd package (run successfully )
3) ./configure (run successfully )
4) make ( error : "" make: *** No targets specified and no makefile
found. Stop."")
plzzzzz help me
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Reindl Harald
 
Default problem in installation of software fedora 15

why in the world dou you not simply type "yum install gedit"
instead installing devel-tools and make your system dirty
with non packaged stuff?

Am 27.06.2011 19:35, schrieb Shailesh Srivastava:
> I am trying to install gedit (tar.bz2) using following command
> 1) tar xvjf package name (run successfully )
> 2)cd package (run successfully )
> 3) ./configure (run successfully )
> 4) make ( error : "" make: *** No targets specified and no makefile
> found. Stop."")
> plzzzzz help me

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 PM
suvayu ali
 
Default problem in installation of software fedora 15

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
> why in the world dou you not simply type "yum install gedit"
> instead installing devel-tools and make your system dirty
> with non packaged stuff?

To add to what Reindl said, this should be the steps you should follow
when installing applications:

1. $ yum search <name>
2. If you find something, then simply
# yum install <package_name>
3. If not, search for community maintained repositories on rpmfusion or
fedorapeople or some such similar resource. A search engine like
Google or Yahoo helps.
4. When all of the above fails, build an rpm from source (unless it is a
complex application to package).
5. If building a package is difficult, then and only then install from
source.

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 PM
edik landave
 
Default problem in installation of software fedora 15

gedit its a common package that you sure will find on the repositories:

yum search gedit

yum install gedit
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Shailesh Srivastava
 
Default problem in installation of software fedora 15

I want to install using ./configure ,make, make install instead of yum

On 6/27/11, edik landave <elwanka@gmail.com> wrote:
> gedit its a common package that you sure will find on the repositories:
>
> yum search gedit
>
> yum install gedit
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default problem in installation of software fedora 15

On 06/28/2011 08:48 AM, Shailesh Srivastava wrote:
> I want to install using ./configure ,make, make install instead of yum
>

OK, it is certainly up to you.

>From where did you download the tar file? That may help in getting you
the answer you want.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 AM
Shailesh Srivastava
 
Default problem in installation of software fedora 15

I want to install using ./configure ,make, make install instead of yum

I am trying to install gedit (tar.bz2) using following command
1) tar xvjf package name (run successfully )
2)cd package (run successfully )
3) ./configure (run successfully )
4) make ( error : "" make: *** No targets specified and no makefile
found. Stop."")
plzzzzz help me

On 6/27/11, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
> On 06/28/2011 08:48 AM, Shailesh Srivastava wrote:
>> I want to install using ./configure ,make, make install instead of yum
>>
>
> OK, it is certainly up to you.
>
> >From where did you download the tar file? That may help in getting you
> the answer you want.
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 AM
JD
 
Default problem in installation of software fedora 15

On 06/27/2011 05:48 PM, Shailesh Srivastava wrote:
> I want to install using ./configure ,make, make install instead of yum
>
> On 6/27/11, edik landave<elwanka@gmail.com> wrote:
>> gedit its a common package that you sure will find on the repositories:
>>
>> yum search gedit
>>
>> yum install gedit
>> --
>> users mailing list
>> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
>> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>>
Are you aware that on F15, build of gedit from source
requires:
BuildRequires: gnome-common
BuildRequires: glib2-devel >= 2.25.15
BuildRequires: gtk3-devel
BuildRequires: GConf2-devel
BuildRequires: libSM-devel
BuildRequires: desktop-file-utils >= 0.9
BuildRequires: enchant-devel >= 1.2.0
BuildRequires: iso-codes-devel >= 0.35
BuildRequires: libattr-devel
BuildRequires: gtksourceview3-devel >= 3.0.0
BuildRequires: scrollkeeper gettext
BuildRequires: python-devel
BuildRequires: pygobject2-devel
BuildRequires: gnome-doc-utils >= 0.3.2
BuildRequires: libpeas-devel >= 0.7.3
BuildRequires: gsettings-desktop-schemas-devel
BuildRequires: which
BuildRequires: autoconf, automake, libtool
BuildRequires: intltool
BuildRequires: gobject-introspection-devel

Requires: pygobject2 >= 2.27
# the run-command plugin uses zenity
Requires: zenity
Requires: gsettings-desktop-schemas



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default problem in installation of software fedora 15

On 06/28/2011 09:26 AM, Shailesh Srivastava wrote:
> I want to install using ./configure ,make, make install instead of yum
>
> I am trying to install gedit (tar.bz2) using following command
> 1) tar xvjf package name (run successfully )
> 2)cd package (run successfully )
> 3) ./configure (run successfully )
> 4) make ( error : "" make: *** No targets specified and no makefile
> found. Stop."")
> plzzzzz help me

Yes. But where did you get the tar file with the gedit source code?


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-28-2011, 02:28 AM
Reindl Harald
 
Default problem in installation of software fedora 15

so look at the build-dependencies of the SPEC-File from Fedora

sorry i can not resist, but i have never heard such a foolish statement
like "i want to break my package-managment"

Am 28.06.2011 02:48, schrieb Shailesh Srivastava:
> I want to install using ./configure ,make, make install instead of yum
>
> On 6/27/11, edik landave <elwanka@gmail.com> wrote:
>> gedit its a common package that you sure will find on the repositories:
>>
>> yum search gedit
>>
>> yum install gedit
>> --
>> users mailing list
>> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
>> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:10 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org