Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Joe Zeff

Default problem in installation of software fedora 15

On 06/27/2011 06:26 PM, JD wrote:
> Are you aware that on F15, build of gedit from source
> requires:

[snip]

Isn't the configure script supposed to check to see if everything's
there? Wouldn't it stop with an error if something were missing? I ask
because the OP said that when he ran ./configure it completed without
error. And, for that matter, if there weren't any errors, where was the
Makefile it was supposed to create?

Old 06-28-2011, 03:10 AM
Genes MailLists

On 06/27/2011 09:26 PM, Shailesh Srivastava wrote:
> I want to install using ./configure ,make, make install instead of yum

Why? What is your goal?

> I am trying to install gedit (tar.bz2) using following command
> 1) tar xvjf package name (run successfully )
> 2)cd package (run successfully )
> 3) ./configure (run successfully )
> 4) make ( error : "" make: *** No targets specified and no makefile
> found. Stop."")
> plzzzzz help me

Honestly - if you don't know how to deal with make and makefiles - why
are you insistent on doing this instead of following the wonderful
advice people here are giving you -

i.e. yum install gedit.

I mean - seriously - if you cannot fly - don't try pilot the plane -
get a cup of coffee and relax in the cabin .. and yum install gedit.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:44 AM
JD

On 06/27/2011 07:42 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 06:26 PM, JD wrote:
>> Are you aware that on F15, build of gedit from source
>> requires:
> [snip]
>
> Isn't the configure script supposed to check to see if everything's
> there? Wouldn't it stop with an error if something were missing? I ask
> because the OP said that when he ran ./configure it completed without
> error. And, for that matter, if there weren't any errors, where was the
> Makefile it was supposed to create?
In short - yes and no - depending on how the configure script was
written/generated.

So, you did not answer Ed's question.
Where did you get the tarball?
And my question, why do you not get the source
rpm from the F15 repos?
If you get the source rpm from the F15 repos, you will be able to do:

rpmbuild -bp gedit.spec

If you have all the necessary deps (as I stated in the previous post),
the command should succeed.
Then, if you want to build using your kludgey and unnecessary
way of manually running
./configure
and make
you will be able to
cd ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/gedit-{your-version}
and run ./configure and make.

Some packages do not want you to run make this way.
They require that you create an empty build dir and cd into
the build dir and then run
{PATH-TO-GEDIT-SOURCE-DIR}/configure
and then run make in the build dir.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 AM
JD

On 06/27/2011 08:10 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 09:26 PM, Shailesh Srivastava wrote:
>> I want to install using ./configure ,make, make install instead of yum
> Why? What is your goal?
>
>> I am trying to install gedit (tar.bz2) using following command
>> 1) tar xvjf package name (run successfully )
>> 2)cd package (run successfully )
>> 3) ./configure (run successfully )
>> 4) make ( error : "" make: *** No targets specified and no makefile
>> found. Stop."")
>> plzzzzz help me
>>
> Honestly - if you don't know how to deal with make and makefiles - why
> are you insistent on doing this instead of following the wonderful
> advice people here are giving you -
>
> i.e. yum install gedit.
>
> I mean - seriously - if you cannot fly - don't try pilot the plane -
> get a cup of coffee and relax in the cabin .. and yum install gedit.
Wonder if the OP is a newb to Linux package building
and is trying to learn something.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:57 AM
Joe Zeff

On 06/27/2011 08:44 PM, JD wrote:
> Some packages do not want you to run make this way.
> They require that you create an empty build dir and cd into
> the build dir and then run
> {PATH-TO-GEDIT-SOURCE-DIR}/configure
> and then run make in the build dir.

Now there's a thought. Was there a README file in the tarball?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:10 AM
JD

On 06/27/2011 08:57 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 08:44 PM, JD wrote:
>> Some packages do not want you to run make this way.
>> They require that you create an empty build dir and cd into
>> the build dir and then run
>> {PATH-TO-GEDIT-SOURCE-DIR}/configure
>> and then run make in the build dir.
> Now there's a thought. Was there a README file in the tarball?
Actually the README does state
./configure # run the `configure' script
make # build gedit

But the errors the OP encountered are more than likely caused
by missing dependencies. That is why I alerted the OP about the
list of dependencies.

I had made the comment due to my exposure to other packages' way of
building,
and prior to looking at the README file.

At any rate, creating a build dir outside the source tree and running
the configure and make in the build dir serves to keep the source tree
pristine (if there is such thing

Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 AM
suvayu ali

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Shailesh Srivastava
<shailesh23jan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to install using *./configure ,make, make install *instead of yum

This is madness! Since you insist, to get the build dependencies do:

# yum-builddep gedit

--
Suvayu

Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Steve Searle

Around 03:28am on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 (UK time), Reindl Harald scrawled:

> sorry i can not resist, but i have never heard such a foolish statement
> like "i want to break my package-managment"

You haven't been exposed to many foolish statements then.

For what its worth, there are a couple of programs that are installed by
yum as default in Fedora that I always select to not install and then
manually install myself. My reasons for doing this include keeping my
hand in at manual installation and making sure I have the latest version
(not that they change often).

I also install a number of programs I have written that way, too.

If someone wants to do this, I think that it is a good way of learning a
bit more about *computers* and certainly not something to be disparaged.
Some of us enjoy messing about with our PCs.

Having said all that, OP: where did you get your tarfile from?

Steve

--

Website: www.stevesearle.com
Twitter: @ReddishShift

09:23:33 up 13 days, 19:13, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.05, 0.01

Old 06-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 21:26 -0400, Shailesh Srivastava wrote:
> I want to install using ./configure ,make, make install instead of yum
>
> I am trying to install gedit (tar.bz2) using following command
> 1) tar xvjf package name (run successfully )
> 2)cd package (run successfully )
> 3) ./configure (run successfully )
> 4) make ( error : "" make: *** No targets specified and no makefile
> found. Stop."")
> plzzzzz help me
Two questions:
1. Why do you want to compile gedit rather than use the precompiled rpm?

2. After you run ./configure is a makefile generated?" Or are some
arguments to ./configure needed?