Old 06-27-2011, 02:43 PM
"Jouk Jansen"

Default Howto change window colours in GNOME3

L.S.

How can I change the colour scheme of the windows in GNOME3? (I hate the
greyish colours and my eyes are more suited to some other colours) In GNOME2
I could do this with the gnome-appearance-properties, which seems to be
absent in GNOME3. I tried the gnome-tweak-tool, but that one only allows for
different themes, but not the colour schems of the themes.

Jouk

Pax, vel iniusta, utilior est quam iustissimum bellum.
(free after Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 b.Chr.-46 b.Chr.)
Epistularum ad Atticum 7.1.4.3)

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------<

Jouk Jansen

joukj@hrem.nano.tudelft.nl

Technische Universiteit Delft tttttttttt uu uu ddddddd
Kavli Institute of Nanoscience tttttttttt uu uu dd dd
Nationaal centrum voor HREM tt uu uu dd dd
Lorentzweg 1 tt uu uu dd dd
2628 CJ Delft tt uu uu dd dd
Nederland tt uu uu dd dd
tel. 31-15-2782272 tt uuuuuuu ddddddd

Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Jouk Jansen wrote:
> How can I change the colour scheme of the windows in GNOME3? (I hate the
> greyish colours and my eyes are more suited to some other colours) In GNOME2
> I could do this with the gnome-appearance-properties, which seems to be
> absent in GNOME3. I tried the gnome-tweak-tool, but that one only allows for
> different themes, but not the colour schems of the themes.

Themes do not have multiple color packs or schemes. One theme has one
color scheme.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Genes MailLists

On 06/27/2011 10:43 AM, Jouk Jansen wrote:

> How can I change the colour scheme of the windows in GNOME3?

I find these quotes thoughtful -

I make no comment how they apply to users who want change or
developers who make changes :-)

"Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological
criminal." - Albert Einstein

public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 PM
"Darryl L. Pierce"

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:03:15PM -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 10:43 AM, Jouk Jansen wrote:
>
> > How can I change the colour scheme of the windows in GNOME3?
>

> I find these quotes thoughtful -
>
> I make no comment how they apply to users who want change or
> developers who make changes :-)
>
> "Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological
> criminal." - Albert Einstein
>
> "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over
> public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

"What do you care what other people think, Mr. Feynman?" - Mrs. Feynman

Favorite quote of all time. Feynman is a personal hero.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Old 06-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Steven Stern

On 06/27/2011 09:43 AM, Jouk Jansen wrote:
> L.S.
>
> How can I change the colour scheme of the windows in GNOME3? (I hate the
> greyish colours and my eyes are more suited to some other colours) In GNOME2
> I could do this with the gnome-appearance-properties, which seems to be
> absent in GNOME3. I tried the gnome-tweak-tool, but that one only allows for
> different themes, but not the colour schems of the themes.

Sure your .sig is long enough?

Anyhow, I did some searching for a tutorial on how to edit or create a
Gnome3 theme. I haven't found one yet. Anyone reading this have one?

It seems to me the solution would be to clone the current Gnome3 theme
and then start editing the new copy. Use gnome-tweak-tools to switch
back and forth to get an idea of what does what. When you get something
nice, please publish it!

I'm not (yet) annoyed with anything in the current look and feel to
start that process.

-- steve

Old 06-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/27/2011 09:57 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> It seems to me the solution would be to clone the current Gnome3 theme
> and then start editing the new copy.

I can remember when you could either select a complete theme (for
desktop appearance, sounds or whatever) or "mix and match," picking
whatever icon you wanted for each program or folder, let's say, from
whatever theme you wanted. Now, the only way to get that kind of
flexibility is by creating a custom theme of your own and putting the
icons sounds or whatever into it. Does anybody know who decided that
mere users didn't need (or, maybe, want) that kind of freedom of choice?