Old 06-27-2011, 02:43 PM

Default Gnome Shell and multiple monitors

Hi there,

I have an LGx200 netbook (atom N470, 1366 x 768 Intel GMA 3150, 2GB RAM) which I used with Fedora 14 and compiz with no problems, using an external monitor or projector to show OpenOffice Impress slideshows. It was very nince having the slide full screen on the external monitor and the LCD screen using the presenter view with notes, time, etc.

After installing Fedora 15 (fresh new install) I see Gnome Shell gets lost whenever I try to use an external monitor and NOT using twin display. Once I managed to get gnome starting into the "failback mode", "security mode", "classic mode" or whatever you call it -- without Gnome Shell and everything worked fine for my presentation. But other times I had to use twin display and was not able to use LibreOffice Impress nice features for external monitor.

So I have two questions:

1. How to make gnome shell work fine with an external monitor and NOTusing twin display?

2. Failing (1), how to control whether I start Gnome using the gnome shell or another "classic " window manager / desktop manager ?

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 11:43 -0300, fernando@lozano.eti.br wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have an LGx200 netbook (atom N470, 1366 x 768 Intel GMA 3150, 2GB
> RAM) which I used with Fedora 14 and compiz with no problems, using an
> external monitor or projector to show OpenOffice Impress slideshows.
> It was very nince having the slide full screen on the external monitor
> and the LCD screen using the presenter view with notes, time, etc.
>
> After installing Fedora 15 (fresh new install) I see Gnome Shell gets
> lost whenever I try to use an external monitor and NOT using twin
> display. Once I managed to get gnome starting into the "failback
> mode", "security mode", "classic mode" or whatever you call it --
> without Gnome Shell and everything worked fine for my presentation.
> But other times I had to use twin display and was not able to use
> LibreOffice Impress nice features for external monitor.
>
> So I have two questions:
>
> 1. How to make gnome shell work fine with an external monitor and
> NOTusing twin display?
>
> 2. Failing (1), how to control whether I start Gnome using the gnome
> shell or another "classic " window manager / desktop manager ?
>

> []s, Fernando Lozano

The answer to question 2 is as follows. When you are in the login
screen,, just about to type the passwd there is a window on the screen
that allows you to choose what desktop manager to use.