FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-27-2011, 04:43 AM
Hiisi
 
Default External USB-drive and F15

Hi, folks!
Recently I have been granted with external usb-drive. It's 3TB FA
GoFlex Desk of Seagate:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/desktop-hard-drive/
I've formatted it as ext4 and plugged into machine running F 15. I use
it as apache server directory and as mysql data directory (this
computer serves as internal testing server for web-developers).
Everything works perfect except that I see a lot of errors in dmesg output:
[198659.222949] EXT4-fs error (device sdb1): ext4_find_entry:933:
inode #53477379: comm updatedb: reading directory lblock 0
[198659.222955] EXT4-fs (sdb1): previous I/O error to superblock detected
[198659.222958] EXT4-fs error (device sdb1): ext4_find_entry:933:
inode #53477379: comm updatedb: reading directory lblock 0
[198659.222963] EXT4-fs (sdb1): previous I/O error to superblock detected

and then this:

[199022.120335] EXT4-fs (sdd1): recovery complete
[199022.120916] EXT4-fs (sdd1): mounted filesystem with ordered data
mode. Opts: (null)
[199022.120926] SELinux: initialized (dev sdd1, type ext4), uses xattr
[199103.197445] EXT4-fs (sdb1): previous I/O error to superblock detected
[199103.197465] EXT4-fs error (device sdb1):
__ext4_get_inode_loc:4779: inode #125045501: block 500170959: comm
mysqld: unable to read itable block
[199835.118854] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Sense Key : Recovered Error
[current] [descriptor]
[199835.118859] Descriptor sense data with sense descriptors (in hex):
[199835.118861] 72 01 04 1d 00 00 00 0e 09 0c 00 00 00 00 ee 27
[199835.118866] 00 08 00 80 40 50
[199835.118869] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] ASC=0x4 ASCQ=0x1d
[199835.185354] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Sense Key : Recovered Error
[current] [descriptor]
[199835.185368] Descriptor sense data with sense descriptors (in hex):
[199835.185373] 72 01 04 1d 00 00 00 0e 09 0c 00 00 00 00 00 00
[199835.185391] 00 4f 00 c2 40 50

What's wrong with it? Should I test it somehow? Is it broken and must
be replaced?
Another question here. Could anyone suggest how to prevent disk from
going into sleep mode? When it sits by weekends without work it stops
and after that it takes a few minutes to start it again. By the way, I
put following to /etc/fstab in order drive to be mounted during boot
process:
UUID=632ce2dc-97e5-47ed-9ddf-2217f136e637 /srv ext4 defaults 1 2

TIA
--
Hiisi
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-27-2011, 04:45 AM
JD
 
Default External USB-drive and F15

On 06/26/2011 09:43 PM, Hiisi wrote:
> Hi, folks!
> Recently I have been granted with external usb-drive. It's 3TB FA
> GoFlex Desk of Seagate:
> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/desktop-hard-drive/
> I've formatted it as ext4 and plugged into machine running F 15. I use
> it as apache server directory and as mysql data directory (this
> computer serves as internal testing server for web-developers).
> Everything works perfect except that I see a lot of errors in dmesg output:
> .....SNIP.....
> What's wrong with it? Should I test it somehow? Is it broken and must
> be replaced?
> Another question here. Could anyone suggest how to prevent disk from
> going into sleep mode? When it sits by weekends without work it stops
> and after that it takes a few minutes to start it again. By the way, I
> put following to /etc/fstab in order drive to be mounted during boot
> process:
> UUID=632ce2dc-97e5-47ed-9ddf-2217f136e637 /srv ext4 defaults 1 2
>
> TIA
> --
> Hiisi
How is the external drive connected to your system?

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-27-2011, 04:50 AM
Hiisi
 
Default External USB-drive and F15

On 27 June 2011 08:45, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hiisi
> How is the external drive connected to your system?
>

Oops! Forgot to mention. It's attached on usb-port. Here's
corresponding line from lsusb output:
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bc2:50a1 Seagate RSS LLC
--
Hiisi
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-27-2011, 04:57 AM
JD
 
Default External USB-drive and F15

On 06/26/2011 09:50 PM, Hiisi wrote:
> On 27 June 2011 08:45, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hiisi
>> How is the external drive connected to your system?
>>
> Oops! Forgot to mention. It's attached on usb-port. Here's
> corresponding line from lsusb output:
> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bc2:50a1 Seagate RSS LLC
> --
> Hiisi
I have a 1.5TB dirve with external USB2.0 and eSATA
connection ports (on the external box).
I had tried to get it to reamain stable while using it
on USB ports. I kep losing connection with the drive.
USB is inherenly unreliable.
So, I purchased a pcmcia card with 2 eSATA ports,
and connected to the external box vit it's eSATA port.
I have never had any problems ever since.

Have you thought of putting a USB 3.0 card in your system?
I think the drive you describe comes with USB 3.0 connection, right?

JD

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-27-2011, 05:06 AM
Hiisi
 
Default External USB-drive and F15

On 27 June 2011 08:57, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
<--SNIP-->
>
> Have you thought of putting a USB 3.0 card in your system?
> I think the drive you describe comes with USB 3.0 connection, right?
>
> JD
>
Yes, I already have usb 3.0 port. Should I use it instead USB 2.0? Is
it more reliable? I think I'll simply put the drive inside computer
box and connect it directly to eSATA bus. The drive won't move
anywhere.
Thank you JD. Your hints are sharp as lightening ;- )
--
Hiisi
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-27-2011, 05:28 AM
JD
 
Default External USB-drive and F15

On 06/26/2011 10:06 PM, Hiisi wrote:
> On 27 June 2011 08:57, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> <--SNIP-->
>> Have you thought of putting a USB 3.0 card in your system?
>> I think the drive you describe comes with USB 3.0 connection, right?
>>
>> JD
>>
> Yes, I already have usb 3.0 port. Should I use it instead USB 2.0? Is
> it more reliable? I think I'll simply put the drive inside computer
> box and connect it directly to eSATA bus. The drive won't move
> anywhere.
> Thank you JD. Your hints are sharp as lightening ;- )
> --
> Hiisi
In that case, I would opt for connecting it to the internal eSATA port.
Try it and let it run (i.e. with transactions) for a while and check
for error messages in /var/log/messages. I think that should solve
your problems, assuming there is absolutely nothing wrong with
the drive itself. Be sure to force fsck first before you mount it.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Genes MailLists
 
Default External USB-drive and F15

On 06/27/2011 12:43 AM, Hiisi wrote:
> Hi, folks!
> Recently I have been granted with external usb-drive. It's 3TB FA
> GoFlex Desk of Seagate:
> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/desktop-hard-drive/
>

For what its worth - I had a 2 TB seagate USB - got similar types of
errors - replaced western digital (I have a stack of these I use for
backups)

- no problems at all. I wonder now if the USB chip on some seagtes is
bad - I've only had this with seagate.

My other drives only take a couple of seconds to wake from sleep ...
surprised the seagate takes minutes ... I think the platter spins down
after a while and it is quite fast to awake ..

gene/

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Tim
 
Default External USB-drive and F15

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 08:08 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> My other drives only take a couple of seconds to wake from sleep ...
> surprised the seagate takes minutes ... I think the platter spins down
> after a while and it is quite fast to awake ..

I have a seagate drive that falls asleep when it gets bored. Sometimes
it's quick to wake up (a few seconds), other times it takes ages
(minutes), or may not wake up. I'm wondering if it has three different
sleep levels.

I also find I'm getting errors. The drive can be heard clacking away
*trying* to read, some files sometimes. And I'm also wondering whether
it falls asleep before any drive changes get committed.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 PM
fred smith
 
Default External USB-drive and F15

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:34:26PM +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 08:08 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> > My other drives only take a couple of seconds to wake from sleep ...
> > surprised the seagate takes minutes ... I think the platter spins down
> > after a while and it is quite fast to awake ..
>
> I have a seagate drive that falls asleep when it gets bored. Sometimes
> it's quick to wake up (a few seconds), other times it takes ages
> (minutes), or may not wake up. I'm wondering if it has three different
> sleep levels.
>
> I also find I'm getting errors. The drive can be heard clacking away
> *trying* to read, some files sometimes. And I'm also wondering whether
> it falls asleep before any drive changes get committed.

I also have a seagate USB drive that, once it goes to sleep, can
take a minute or two to come back to life--long enough that I start
getting i/o errors. OTOH, my cheap old WD usb drive wakes up quickly
and works fine.

I recall there being a bug in some vendor's USB drives a few years ago
that manifested on Linux, but not Windows, where once it had gone to
sleep it was reluctant to revive on Linux. I don't recall which vendor
it was, though.


--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
"For him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his
glorious presence without fault and with great joy--to the only God our Savior
be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before
all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."
----------------------------- Jude 1:24,25 (niv) -----------------------------
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Hiisi
 
Default External USB-drive and F15

On 27 June 2011 17:04, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
<--SNIP-->
> I have a seagate drive that falls asleep when it gets bored. *Sometimes
> it's quick to wake up (a few seconds), other times it takes ages
> (minutes), or may not wake up. *I'm wondering if it has three different
> sleep levels.

Well, yes. Fortunately you can configure sleep time-out using hdparm
or even turn off power management completely. See man hdparm. I also
find wikipedia page on hdparm very useful. Here it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdparm

>
> I also find I'm getting errors. *The drive can be heard clacking away
> *trying* to read, some files sometimes. *And I'm also wondering whether
> it falls asleep before any drive changes get committed.

If in doubt use sync ;- )

>
> --
> [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686
>
--
Hiisi
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:48 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org