Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Michael Hennebry

Default cannot boot to F14

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, jackson byers wrote:

>> I messed up installing F14 and don't know how to fix it.
>> What I had planned to do was reuse a /boot partition and put the rest
>> in a single new partition I had already created for the purpose.
>> I forgot about the /boot partition and I think I told it the
>> wrong thing when it asked where to put the bootloader.confusing "reuse
> /boot partition"
> --meaning trying to reuse f13 /boot partition?

Exactly.
I'd told it to use just one partition.

> your f14 looks like it doesnt have a /boot partition,
> instead a /boot dir under sdb9.
> Is that consistent with f14 /etc/fstab (nothing listed for /boot) ?

Yes.

> That /boot directory also isnt consistent with "reusing f13 /boot partition"

That was the first part of messing up.

> If your entire problem is your messing up where to install the bootloader
> just redo it:
>
> from your f13, with your f14 sdb9 unmounted,
> or booting from a knoppix cd..
>
> I think the following will work:
>
> # grub>
> root (hd1,8)
> setup (hd1,8)
> quit
>
> this should install the bootloader on 1st sector of sdb9
> reboot,
> see if f14 boots

I will report.

Thanks.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, jackson byers wrote:

>> I messed up installing F14 and don't know how to fix it.
>> What I had planned to do was reuse a /boot partition and put the rest
>> in a single new partition I had already created for the purpose.
>> I forgot about the /boot partition and I think I told it the
>> wrong thing when it asked where to put the bootloader.confusing "reuse

> # grub>
> root (hd1,8)
> setup (hd1,8)
> quit
>
> this should install the bootloader on 1st sector of sdb9
> reboot,
> see if f14 boots

Alas, F13.
I suspect that the problem might be that putting a bootloader
in (hd1,8) doesn't make the startup code (BIOS?) use it.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:40 PM
jackson byers

> Alas, F13.
> I suspect that the problem might be that putting a bootloader
> in (hd1,8) doesn't make the startup code (BIOS?) use it.

--
> Michael h
what do you mean? F13 should boot automatically if it is the default.Did you choose the F14 stanza?Did it then fail? what error?

Jack

Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, jackson byers wrote:
>
>>> I messed up installing F14 and don't know how to fix it.
>>> What I had planned to do was reuse a /boot partition and put the rest
>>> in a single new partition I had already created for the purpose.
>>> I forgot about the /boot partition and I think I told it the
>>> wrong thing when it asked where to put the bootloader.confusing "reuse
>
>> # grub>
>> root (hd1,8)
>> setup (hd1,8)
>> quit
>>
>> this should install the bootloader on 1st sector of sdb9
>> reboot,
>> see if f14 boots
>
> Alas, F13.
> I suspect that the problem might be that putting a bootloader
> in (hd1,8) doesn't make the startup code (BIOS?) use it.

I tried adding
title chain14
rootnoverify (hd1,8)
makeactive
chainloader +1
to grub.conf .
When I tried to use it, I got
Error 18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS.

Could the problem with using my boot partition with my
F14 be that my F14 knows something else is /boot ?
Could I fix that by editing my F14's /etc/mtab ?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:11 PM
jackson byers

>> Alas, F13.>> I suspect that the problem might be that putting a bootloader>>in (hd1,8) doesn't make the startup code (BIOS?) use it.

> I tried adding>title chain14> * * * rootnoverify (hd1,8)> * * * makeactive> * * * chainloader +1>to grub.conf .>When I tried to use it, I got
>Error 18 * : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS.
>Could the problem with using my boot partition with my>F14 be that my F14 knows something else is /boot ?
>Could I fix that by editing my F14's /etc/mtab ?
I don't know what your rootnoverify is doing
You first message showed an F14 stanza (no chainloading).
Try calling that; just copy it to your F13 grub.confand then choose it instead of the F13 default
Jack

Old 06-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, jackson byers wrote:

> You first message showed an F14 stanza (no chainloading).
> Try calling that; just copy it to your F13 grub.conf
> and then choose it instead of the F13 default

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

That's *almost* what I did before starting this thread.
I'd thought that I had to copy other files into the boot partition
and remove the /boot portion of file names.
I'd thought the root command just determined what the kernel made / .
Having reread the info entry on root,
I'm still a little fuzzy on what it does.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:11 PM
jackson byers

>> I tried adding>>title chain14>> * * * rootnoverify (hd1,8)>> * * * makeactive>> * * * chainloader +1>> to grub.conf .
>> When I tried to use it, I got>> Error 18 * : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS.
>>Could the problem with using my boot partition with my
>>F14 be that my F14 knows something else is /boot ?>>Could I fix that by editing my F14's /etc/mtab ?
> I don't knoW what your rootnoverify is doing

> You first message showed an F14 stanza (no chainloading)> Try calling that; just copy it to your F13 grub.conf> and then choose it instead of the F13 default

1) what do you mean re*"problem with using my boot partition with my*F14" ??You already said your F14 is _not_ using a boot partition.
2) I have never found it necessary to edit /etc/mtab

3)I have never used rootnoverify on a Linux boot;*I think rootnoverify is primarily used for Windows stanzas*on dual boot configurations.
4) Any result yet from copying f14 stanza to f13 *grub.conf
and then choosing the f14 from the f13 on-screen menu?
Jack

Old 06-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/25/2011 12:11 PM, jackson byers wrote:
> 2) I have never found it necessary to edit /etc/mtab

You should never, under any circumstances edit /etc/mtab. It's a list
of what partitions are currently mounted, where and with what options,
not a configuration file. The file to edit if you want to change how
things get mounted is, of course, /etc/fstab. I would have replied to
the OP with this, but for some reason the problem managed to slip under
my radar until just now.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 11:28 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> I'd thought the root command just determined what the kernel made / .
> Having reread the info entry on root,
> I'm still a little fuzzy on what it does.

In the grub.conf (or menu.lst files, they're the same file), the root
parameter in the

root (hd0,0)

command line sets the root for GRUB (he partition it starts from).
Generally, it's the Linux /boot partition, and there's a sub-directory,
inside it, holding all the GRUB files.

And, the root parameter in the kernel line:

kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda1

tells the Linux kernel where the system root (/) is for the Linux file
system.

On a multi-boot system, you could have a common boot partition (which
can be messy to maintain), or individual boot partitions per OS
installation.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:33 PM
jackson byers

>> *You first message showed an F14 stanza (no chainloading).>> Try calling that; just copy it to your F13 grub.conf>> and then choose it instead of the F13 default

> Thank you. *Thank you. *Thank you.
> That's *almost* what I did before starting this thread.> I'd thought that I had to copy other files into the boot partition
> and remove the /boot portion of file names.> I'd thought the root command just determined what the kernel made / .> Having reread the info entry on root,> I'm still a little fuzzy on what it does.

Very glad I could help.
You should probably read and reread the 'info grub' page.There is also available a pdf version of the grub manual, google for it.

Jack