Old 06-26-2011, 05:21 PM
James McKenzie

Default cannot boot to F14

On 6/24/11 3:55 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:

>>> # grub>
>>> root (hd1,8)
>>> setup (hd1,8)
>>> quit
>>>
>>> this should install the bootloader on 1st sector of sdb9
>>> reboot,
>>> see if f14 boots
>> Alas, F13.
>> I suspect that the problem might be that putting a bootloader
>> in (hd1,8) doesn't make the startup code (BIOS?) use it.
> I tried adding
> title chain14
> rootnoverify (hd1,8)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
> to grub.conf .
> When I tried to use it, I got
> Error 18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS.

You need to get a new(er) BIOS as the physical location where F14 is
located cannot be used for booting by your current BIOS. Nothing can be
done about this by Fedora, it is a physical limitation of your system.
Maybe putting a /boot partition below where your BIOS can boot from
could help (but I don't know if this is possible with your current
system configuration.)

> Could the problem with using my boot partition with my
> F14 be that my F14 knows something else is /boot ?
> Could I fix that by editing my F14's /etc/mtab ?

Neither of these options will help. Again, this is NOT a Fedora issue.
Some BIOS's are old enough that they cannot boot from newer media. And
this is not the first time this has happened in the history of PC
configurations (I remember the old 32MB boot issue...)

James McKenzie

Old 06-27-2011, 02:00 AM
jackson byers

>>>I tried adding>> * * *chainloader +1>>to grub.conf .>>>>* * *makeactiveWhen I tried to use it, I got>>Error 18 * : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS.

>You need to get a new(er) BIOS as the physical location where F14 is located cannot be >used for booting by your current BIOS. *Nothing can be done about this by Fedora, it is a >physical limitation of your system. *Maybe putting a /boot partition below where your BIOS >can boot from could help (but I don't know if this is possible with your current system >configuration.)

>>Could the problem with using my boot partition with my>>Could I fix that by editing my F14's /etc/mtab ?
>Neither of these options will help. *Again, this is NOT a Fedora issue. *Some BIOS's are old >appened in the history of PC configurations (I remember the old 32MB boot issue...)

>James McKenzie
James,You came in late to this thread.
In fact his problem was solved by1)redoing his bootloader **root (hd1,8)
setup (hd1,8)2) copying his f14 stanza to his f13 grub.conf
Your analysis may be correct re error 18,but that was when the OP was still badly floundering.

His last response to me wasthank you * * *thank you * *thank you
which I interpreted meaning he had successfully booted f14.
Jack

Old 06-27-2011, 02:10 AM
James McKenzie

On 6/26/11 7:00 PM, jackson byers wrote:

> >>I tried adding
> >> chainloader +1
> >>to grub.conf .
> >>
> >> makeactiveWhen I tried to use it, I got
> >>Error 18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS.
>
> >You need to get a new(er) BIOS as the physical location where F14 is
> located cannot be >used for booting by your current BIOS. Nothing can
> be done about this by Fedora, it is a >physical limitation of your
> system. Maybe putting a /boot partition below where your BIOS >can
> boot from could help (but I don't know if this is possible with your
> current system >configuration.)
>
> >>Could the problem with using my boot partition with my
> >>Could I fix that by editing my F14's /etc/mtab ?
>
> >Neither of these options will help. Again, this is NOT a Fedora
> issue. Some BIOS's are old >appened in the history of PC
> configurations (I remember the old 32MB boot issue...)
>
> >James McKenzie
>
> James,
> You came in late to this thread.
>
> In fact his problem was solved by
> 1)redoing his bootloader
> root (hd1,8)
> setup (hd1,8)
> 2) copying his f14 stanza to his f13 grub.conf
>
> Your analysis may be correct re error 18,
> but that was when the OP was still badly floundering.

Thank you. I try to stay out of discussions like this, but I've seen
where folks installing 1TB drives cannot boot off of them when the
physical number of cylinders is larger than their BIOS can handle. At
least this problem was solved in a good manner.

James McKenzie