Old 06-26-2011, 06:41 AM
Joe Zeff

Default where is gnomebreakpad

On 06/25/2011 11:28 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Now, would you like to get back our regularly scheduled programming or
> do you really need to have the last word.

I'm not looking to have the last word, but you do keep asking questions.
If you'll stop asking, I'll have nothing to answer, will I?

Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/26/2011 02:41 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> I'm not looking to have the last word, but you do keep asking questions.
> If you'll stop asking, I'll have nothing to answer, will I?

Good point... Although I feel the second question, and maybe even the
first one, in my last message was rhetorical.

So, last one....

Are we done now?

Old 06-26-2011, 07:33 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 13:40 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Yet, I guess it is good to know that as long as people make
> grammatical
> errors and spellings mistakes as long as they don't correct themselves
> you'll keep quiet about it.
----
sort of a cowardly way to make a point - single out those who have
already admitted their error and pounce on it, sort of like kicking
someone when they are already down.

Personally I fail to see any distinctive difference whether
self-admitted or not, grammatical policing is a hostile activity
bordering on, if not completely bombastic behavior.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/26/2011 03:33 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 13:40 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Yet, I guess it is good to know that as long as people make
>> grammatical
>> errors and spellings mistakes as long as they don't correct themselves
>> you'll keep quiet about it.
> ----
> sort of a cowardly way to make a point - single out those who have
> already admitted their error and pounce on it, sort of like kicking
> someone when they are already down.

I must have missed the part where he admitted an error in judgment.

> Personally I fail to see any distinctive difference whether
> self-admitted or not, grammatical policing is a hostile activity
> bordering on, if not completely bombastic behavior.

For the most part, I would second that opinion.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Gary Waters

On 06/25/2011 09:46 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> Which is why I don't normally comment on such things. Instead, if I see
> that the message came from someplace where English is at best a second
> language, I cut them extra slack.

Extra slack? LOL! How many bloody languages do you speak/write?
Personally, I spend every single day of my life juggling English and
French. I hate SpellNazis for either side, primarily because they tend
to be ethnocentric at best and bigots at worst... if not outright
xenophobic. If people can make ends meet and actually achieve
"comprehension," who the hell cares how well they spell??

Your attitude will not only alienate non-anglophone speakers/writers who
are struggling on this list, but people with learning disabilities such
as Dyslexia. My wife has dyslexia. She sits there at her keyboard with a
bloody dictionary when she makes facebook posts because the SpellNazis
have almost driven her underground.

GW

Old 06-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/26/2011 12:33 AM, Craig White wrote:
> Personally I fail to see any distinctive difference whether
> self-admitted or not, grammatical policing is a hostile activity
> bordering on, if not completely bombastic behavior.

Which is why I didn't do it, even though Ed Greshko keeps falsely
accusing me of it.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/26/2011 06:22 AM, Gary Waters wrote:
> On 06/25/2011 09:46 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> Which is why I don't normally comment on such things. Instead, if I see
>> that the message came from someplace where English is at best a second
>> language, I cut them extra slack.
>
> Extra slack? LOL!

Yes, extra slack. I expect that most people on this list who grew up
speaking English will be fairly proficient. I've spent years working
with people who only know a little English (I live near LA; most of them
are Hispanic.) and I'm used to their phonetic spelling.

> Your attitude will not only alienate non-anglophone speakers/writers who
> are struggling on this list, but people with learning disabilities such
> as Dyslexia. My wife has dyslexia.

I used to be in a DND game with a dyslexic GM. I was his "co-GM,"
reading the manuals for him so that he'd know what the monsters powers
were and how the spells worked. And, I'm quite familiar with his
non-standard spelling, such as "sord" for "sword," because he doesn't
*hear* the W. No problem; he's doing the best he can.

Don't fall prey to Ed's Big Lie: I never corrected his grammar, spelling
or syntax. I never acted as a Grammar Nazi. All I did was point out
that proofreading his email would help avoid him from making errors in
the future after *he corrected his own mistake.* Calling me a Grammar
Nazi IS A LIE!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Carroll Grigsby

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 08:10:15 -0700
Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:

> On 06/26/2011 12:33 AM, Craig White wrote:
> > Personally I fail to see any distinctive difference whether
> > self-admitted or not, grammatical policing is a hostile activity
> > bordering on, if not completely bombastic behavior.
>
> Which is why I didn't do it, even though Ed Greshko keeps falsely
> accusing me of it.

Enough. Grow up.
-- cmg

Old 06-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/26/2011 08:22 AM, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 08:10:15 -0700
> Joe Zeff<joe@zeff.us> wrote:
>
>> On 06/26/2011 12:33 AM, Craig White wrote:
>>> Personally I fail to see any distinctive difference whether
>>> self-admitted or not, grammatical policing is a hostile activity
>>> bordering on, if not completely bombastic behavior.
>>
>> Which is why I didn't do it, even though Ed Greshko keeps falsely
>> accusing me of it.
>

> Enough. Grow up.

I tried to drop the subject last night, but I'm not going to let these
false accusations stand without defending myself. As long as people are
calling me a Grammar Nazi, I'll continue calling them liars. As soon as
they admit they were wrong (even tacitly, by dropping the subject) I'll
have nothing to respond to. The one acting like a child is the
mud-slinger, not the one continually wiping it off his face.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Gary Waters

On 06/26/2011 11:18 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> Don't fall prey to Ed's Big Lie: I never corrected his grammar, spelling
> or syntax. I never acted as a Grammar Nazi. All I did was point out
> that proofreading his email

I read the thread from the beginning. Ed's reaction was the same as my
own. I simply did not get involved until I saw the rather pretentious
post about cutting people "extra slack." It's a friggin mailing list,
not a run at the pulitzer prize for literature.

You might consider "proofreading" your "brainfarts" before typing them
out and hitting send. You might also invoke a little role-taking. Say to
yourself, "will this line of thought incur the wrath of the lesser
troglodytes" before you type it out and hit send. That way the rest of
use will not rise upright off our knuckles and start beating our chests
in a display of anger.