Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 AM

Default frozen gnome 3 desktop

Hi
After upgraded to fedora 15, most are working well. The gnome 3
desktop are weired. It frequently freeze, not responding to mouse or
keyboard. I have to login a virtual term (alt+ctrl+F2) to restart gdm
(init 3; init 5). I checked Xorg.0.log file and output of dmesg, I
can't spot any hint.

Linux 2.6.38.8-32.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 13 19:49:05 UTC 2011
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any one experienced this or where is find a fix? thanks

* *°v°
*/( $ ) Linux Toys
* ^ * ^ *http://linuxishbell.wordpress.com/

Old 06-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Stephen Gallagher

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 16:24 +1000, L wrote:
> Hi
> After upgraded to fedora 15, most are working well. The gnome 3
> desktop are weired. It frequently freeze, not responding to mouse or
> keyboard. I have to login a virtual term (alt+ctrl+F2) to restart gdm
> (init 3; init 5). I checked Xorg.0.log file and output of dmesg, I
> can't spot any hint.
>
> Linux 2.6.38.8-32.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 13 19:49:05 UTC 2011
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Any one experienced this or where is find a fix? thanks

Do you see any messages in /var/log/messages when the freezes happen?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:57 PM

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 16:24 +1000, L wrote:
>> Hi
>> After upgraded to fedora 15, most are working well. The gnome 3
>> desktop are weired. It frequently freeze, not responding to mouse or
>> keyboard. I have to login a virtual term (alt+ctrl+F2) to restart gdm
>> (init 3; init 5). I checked Xorg.0.log file and output of dmesg, I
>> can't spot any hint.
>>
>> Linux *2.6.38.8-32.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 13 19:49:05 UTC 2011
>> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Any one experienced this or where is find a fix? thanks
>

> Do you see any messages in /var/log/messages when the freezes happen?

I didn't check it at the freezing, Here are a few warning around that time

Jun 19 13:16:41 gnome-session[7063]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session:
Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server
:0.#012
Jun 20 18:56:29 gnome-session[8831]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session:
Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server
:0.#012
Jun 23 16:03:50 gnome-session[1777]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session:
Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server
:0.#012
Jun 24 09:52:21 gnome-session[17195]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session:
Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server
:0.#012
Jun 24 15:58:19 gnome-session[24748]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session:

Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

>>> After upgraded to fedora 15, most are working well. The gnome 3
>>> desktop are weired. It frequently freeze, not responding to mouse or
>>> keyboard. I have to login a virtual term (alt+ctrl+F2) to restart gdm
>>> (init 3; init 5). I checked Xorg.0.log file and output of dmesg, I
>>> can't spot any hint.
>>>
>>> Any one experienced this or where is find a fix? thanks

I've done 2 desktop upgrades. One worked fine. One had the problems you
described (frequent freezes), so I had to downgrade it back to F14.

Three server upgrades have gone well, but they don't have gnome3, of course.

Not very helpful, but another data point anyway...

- Mike

Old 06-24-2011, 06:18 PM

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 4:14 AM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak
<mjc@avtechpulse.com> wrote:

> I've done 2 desktop upgrades. One worked fine. One had the problems you
> described (frequent freezes), so I had to downgrade it back to F14.
>
> Three server upgrades have gone well, but they don't have gnome3, of course.
>
> Not very helpful, but another data point anyway...

temperately I use classic gnome instead of gnome 3. It seems working
ok with classic gnome.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:08 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

On 06/24/2011 11:18 AM, L wrote:

>> I've done 2 desktop upgrades. One worked fine. One had the problems you
>> described (frequent freezes), so I had to downgrade it back to F14.
>>
>> Three server upgrades have gone well, but they don't have gnome3, of course.
>>
>> Not very helpful, but another data point anyway...
> temperately I use classic gnome instead of gnome 3. It seems working
> ok with classic gnome
How did you get classic gnome on F15?

Was this done using LiveCD or after installing F15 on the HD
then doing a Gnome downgrade? I would like the details if
that is ok?

I was checking out F15 LiveCD on an older system and Gnome3
popped up an error message saying that it failed, however,
clicking 'Close' on the error popup continues on and I was able to log
in. I can do a few things but then after a time (about 5 minutes or
so), the system completely hangs. So, I did not want to attempt an
install at this point.

F14 works on my old system with 384MB RAM, although it runs slow.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Hiisi

On 24 June 2011 10:24, L <yuanlux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> After upgraded to fedora 15, most are working well. The gnome 3
> desktop are weired. It frequently freeze, not responding to mouse or
> keyboard. I have to login a virtual term (alt+ctrl+F2) to restart gdm
> (init 3; init 5). I checked Xorg.0.log file and output of dmesg, I
> can't spot any hint.

<--SNIP-->

> Any one experienced this or where is find a fix? thanks

Yes, I did. However my system isn't upgraded but a fresh install of
'F15-all-stock' (i.e. no 'third party repositories' and minor gnome
customizations). As it is my working computer I couldn't investigate
the case anyhow deeper than run an eye over logs. In my case the
culprit was 'empathy-messenger'. Whenever new message arrives it
pop-ups in a black rectangle at the right corner of the floating
bottom panel. In a few cases I saw the screen freezed just when bottom
panel appeared over the screen and before black rectangle containing
message was rendered. So, I've switched to pidgin and now everything
works like a charm!
HTH
--
Hiisi

Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 AM

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Hiisi <hiisi@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 24 June 2011 10:24, L <yuanlux@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>> After upgraded to fedora 15, most are working well. The gnome 3
>> desktop are weired. It frequently freeze, not responding to mouse or
>> keyboard. I have to login a virtual term (alt+ctrl+F2) to restart gdm
>> (init 3; init 5). I checked Xorg.0.log file and output of dmesg, I
>> can't spot any hint.
>
> <--SNIP-->
>
>> Any one experienced this or where is find a fix? thanks
>>

> Yes, I did. However my system isn't upgraded but a fresh install of
> 'F15-all-stock' (i.e. no 'third party repositories' and minor gnome
> customizations). As it is my working computer I couldn't investigate
> the case anyhow deeper than run an eye over logs. In my case the
> culprit was 'empathy-messenger'. Whenever new message arrives it
> pop-ups in a black rectangle at the right corner of the floating
> bottom panel. In a few cases I saw the screen freezed just when bottom
> panel appeared over the screen and before black rectangle containing
> message was rendered. So, I've switched to pidgin and now everything
> works like a charm!
> HTH
thanks, I will give pidigin a go. my suspicions were firefox, or VirtualBox。
> --
> Hiisi

Â* Â*°v°
Â*/( $ ) Linux Toys
Â* ^ Â* ^ Â*http://linuxishbell.wordpress.com/

Old 06-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Hiisi

On 27 June 2011 05:56, L <yuanlux@gmail.com> wrote:
<--SNIP-->
> thanks, I will give pidigin a go. my suspicions were firefox, or VirtualBox。
<--SNIP-->

Well, under gnome 3 it lacks damned pop-up windows but I like it for
simplicity and prefer it over empathy since the last was chosen as
default for gnome installations.
--
Hiisi