FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Georgios Petasis
 
Default gnome does not start under realvnc...

Hi all,

I upgraded yesterday from Fedora 14 -> 15, and now I am having problems
with my desktop:
Gnome does not start under RealVnc (Enterprise edition, 4.6.1).

What I get is a big image, and a message "oh no! something has gone
wrong", with a prompt to logout and try again.
Looking at the xsession errors, the only crucial that I see is that
metacity re-spawns too quickly.
And indeed, trying to run metacity under a terminal, results in an
immediate crash.

Any ideas? How can I fix this?

My server is a remote one, always reached through VNC, so I have no
alternatives for the time being...

George
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Georgios Petasis
 
Default gnome does not start under realvnc...

Στις 21/6/2011 11:19, ο/η Georgios Petasis *γραψε:
> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded yesterday from Fedora 14 -> 15, and now I am having problems
> with my desktop:
> Gnome does not start under RealVnc (Enterprise edition, 4.6.1).
>
> What I get is a big image, and a message "oh no! something has gone
> wrong", with a prompt to logout and try again.
> Looking at the xsession errors, the only crucial that I see is that
> metacity re-spawns too quickly.
> And indeed, trying to run metacity under a terminal, results in an
> immediate crash.
>
> Any ideas? How can I fix this?
>
> My server is a remote one, always reached through VNC, so I have no
> alternatives for the time being...
>
> George
I get the following trace:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
compute_above_tab_keycode (xdisplay=0x80e5c00) at
core/above-tab-keycode.c:80
80 geometry = keyboard->geom;
(gdb) where
#0 compute_above_tab_keycode (xdisplay=0x80e5c00)
at core/above-tab-keycode.c:80
#1 meta_display_get_above_tab_keycode (display=0x813a400)
at core/above-tab-keycode.c:235
#2 0x0806fa4b in keysym_to_keycode (keysym=<optimized out>,
display=0x813a400)
at core/keybindings.c:262
#3 reload_keycodes (display=0x813a400) at core/keybindings.c:283
#4 0x0807096e in meta_display_init_keys (display=0x813a400)
at core/keybindings.c:628
#5 0x08063880 in meta_display_open () at core/display.c:385
#6 0x08053b53 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff594) at core/main.c:581

Any ideas?

George


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default gnome does not start under realvnc...

On 06/21/2011 04:19 PM, Georgios Petasis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded yesterday from Fedora 14 -> 15, and now I am having problems
> with my desktop:
> Gnome does not start under RealVnc (Enterprise edition, 4.6.1).
>
> What I get is a big image, and a message "oh no! something has gone
> wrong", with a prompt to logout and try again.
> Looking at the xsession errors, the only crucial that I see is that
> metacity re-spawns too quickly.
> And indeed, trying to run metacity under a terminal, results in an
> immediate crash.
>
> Any ideas? How can I fix this?
>
> My server is a remote one, always reached through VNC, so I have no
> alternatives for the time being...
>
>

I too have a system that was updated from F14 to F15.

It didn't have tigervnc-server installed on it. So, I just installed it
and connected to it via the RealVNC app for Android on my Android
Tablet. I had no problem.

Of course the GNOME session is "fallback" mode and not GNOME shell.

Would you consider trying the tigervnc-server instead of RealVnc server?



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Georgios Petasis
 
Default gnome does not start under realvnc...

Στις 21/6/2011 14:58, ο/η Ed Greshko *γραψε:
> On 06/21/2011 04:19 PM, Georgios Petasis wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I upgraded yesterday from Fedora 14 -> 15, and now I am having problems
>> with my desktop:
>> Gnome does not start under RealVnc (Enterprise edition, 4.6.1).
>>
>> What I get is a big image, and a message "oh no! something has gone
>> wrong", with a prompt to logout and try again.
>> Looking at the xsession errors, the only crucial that I see is that
>> metacity re-spawns too quickly.
>> And indeed, trying to run metacity under a terminal, results in an
>> immediate crash.
>>
>> Any ideas? How can I fix this?
>>
>> My server is a remote one, always reached through VNC, so I have no
>> alternatives for the time being...
>>
>>
> I too have a system that was updated from F14 to F15.
>
> It didn't have tigervnc-server installed on it. So, I just installed it
> and connected to it via the RealVNC app for Android on my Android
> Tablet. I had no problem.
>
> Of course the GNOME session is "fallback" mode and not GNOME shell.
>
> Would you consider trying the tigervnc-server instead of RealVnc server
I wish I could use tigervnc. I use windows for accessing the server, and
I like the scaling the RealVNC client does. And I also like encryption
and file transfer. Does tiger vnc supports these features?

Can the RealVNC client support encryption when connected to a tigervnc
server?

George
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Georgios Petasis
 
Default gnome does not start under realvnc...

Στις 21/6/2011 17:21, ο/η Georgios Petasis *γραψε:
> Στις 21/6/2011 14:58, ο/η Ed Greshko *γραψε:
>> On 06/21/2011 04:19 PM, Georgios Petasis wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I upgraded yesterday from Fedora 14 -> 15, and now I am having problems
>>> with my desktop:
>>> Gnome does not start under RealVnc (Enterprise edition, 4.6.1).
>>>
>>> What I get is a big image, and a message "oh no! something has gone
>>> wrong", with a prompt to logout and try again.
>>> Looking at the xsession errors, the only crucial that I see is that
>>> metacity re-spawns too quickly.
>>> And indeed, trying to run metacity under a terminal, results in an
>>> immediate crash.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? How can I fix this?
>>>
>>> My server is a remote one, always reached through VNC, so I have no
>>> alternatives for the time being...
>>>
>>>
>> I too have a system that was updated from F14 to F15.
>>
>> It didn't have tigervnc-server installed on it. So, I just installed it
>> and connected to it via the RealVNC app for Android on my Android
>> Tablet. I had no problem.
>>
>> Of course the GNOME session is "fallback" mode and not GNOME shell.
>>
>> Would you consider trying the tigervnc-server instead of RealVnc server
> I wish I could use tigervnc. I use windows for accessing the server, and
> I like the scaling the RealVNC client does. And I also like encryption
> and file transfer. Does tiger vnc supports these features?
>
> Can the RealVNC client support encryption when connected to a tigervnc
> server?
>
> George

I think that my crash is related with this bug:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=649370

George
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Ed Greshko
 
Default gnome does not start under realvnc...

On 06/21/2011 10:50 PM, Georgios Petasis wrote:
> I think that my crash is related with this bug:
>
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=649370

Indeed it does....

On your question of encryption.... I always ran vnc over an ssh
tunnel. So, I never thought about that.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Georgios Petasis
 
Default gnome does not start under realvnc...

Στις 21/6/2011 18:10, ο/η Ed Greshko *γραψε:
> On 06/21/2011 10:50 PM, Georgios Petasis wrote:
>> I think that my crash is related with this bug:
>>
>> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=649370
> Indeed it does....
>
> On your question of encryption.... I always ran vnc over an ssh
> tunnel. So, I never thought about that.

What are my alternatives with window managers?
Since metacity is crashing, what other window manager is available in
fedora to run it, and get at least a wm running on this happy, black
background with the prompt to logout?

George
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Olav Vitters
 
Default gnome does not start under realvnc...

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:22:08AM +0300, Georgios Petasis wrote:
> I get the following trace:

Please file a bug for that.
--
Regards,
Olav
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Ed Greshko
 
Default gnome does not start under realvnc...

On 06/21/2011 11:23 PM, Georgios Petasis wrote:
> Στις 21/6/2011 18:10, ο/η Ed Greshko *γραψε:
>> On 06/21/2011 10:50 PM, Georgios Petasis wrote:
>>> I think that my crash is related with this bug:
>>>
>>> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=649370
>> Indeed it does....
>>
>> On your question of encryption.... I always ran vnc over an ssh
>> tunnel. So, I never thought about that.
> What are my alternatives with window managers?
> Since metacity is crashing, what other window manager is available in
> fedora to run it, and get at least a wm running on this happy, black
> background with the prompt to logout?
>
>

I was experimenting with this today with vncserver. I don't know if
RealVnc does things differently, but this is worth the try....

With vncserver you have ~/.vnc/xstartup which will exec
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc. Which, in turn, exec /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients.
Because I was lazy and couldn't figure out why variables weren't being
passed/detected properly I made a brute force change to
/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients.

I changed...

if [ -n "$GSESSION" ]; then
# by default, we run GNOME.
exec "$GSESSION"

to...

if [ -n "$GSESSION" ]; then
# by default, we run GNOME.
exec "$STARTKDE"

This gave me a KDE session. (I prefer KDE, always have...)




--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:54 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org