Old 06-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Neil Bird

Default GNOME Shell - colour me deeply unimpressed

I'm already deeply suspicious of GNOME Shell, and while I'm willing to
give it a go, I'm certainly not upgrading my Fedora 14 boxes until I know I
can get on with it.

However, we must have tried 4 boxes or more now (not including VMs, and
all with different graphics cards, inc. a high-end nVidia) with the F15 live
disc, and every single one of them comes up in "fall-back" mode, so I've
actually yet to see GNOME Shell working at all. Not an auspicious start.

Is there a way of forcing GNOME Shell to start in "normal" mode, so I can
at least try it? Otherwise, it's going out the window.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature

Old 06-21-2011, 12:17 PM
"Roelof 'Ben' Kusters"

Hi Neil,

The basic video driver that comes with the GNOME Shell doesn't work well
on any video card, afaik. It did well on my netbook - without impressive
video card - but on the desktop - with highend video card - I first had to
go through the steps of the Fedora Forum on how to install the NVidia
drivers. Once they were installed though, the video card does everything I
expected it to do...

I really hope you give it a try. It's very addictive.

--
Greetz,

Roelof Kusters
aka Ben

The internet isn't a highway, it's a swamp: the more you surf, the more it
draws you in.

Make 1000 euros in minutes! Sell my house: http://www.bentrein.com/house

Old 06-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Neil Bird

Around about 21/06/11 13:17, Roelof 'Ben' Kusters typed ...
> .. I first had to
> go through the steps of the Fedora Forum on how to install the NVidia
> drivers. Once they were installed though, the video card does everything I
> expected it to do...

I use the nVidia drivers on both my main work and home boxes. That
unfortunately doesn't help with getting the liv CD to work so's I can “try
before I buy”.

> I really hope you give it a try. It's very addictive.

That certainly was the intention. Just no luck yet :-/

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature