-   -   HP Laserjet 5P in Fedora 14 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/541638-hp-laserjet-5p-fedora-14-a.html)

Mike Williams 06-19-2011 07:39 PM

HP Laserjet 5P in Fedora 14

> On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 17:46 -0500, Manuel Escudero wrote:
>> I've seen that in Fedora you only have to plug in a printer
>> and it usually gets recognized and work, You just have to
>> install these packages:
>>

>> sudo yum -y install hplip hplip-common
>>
>> and if you have a HP scanner:
>>
>> sudo yum -y install libsane-hpaio

When I installed f14 the following packages were included in the installation:
Installing hplip-common-3.10.6-3.fc14.i686
Installing hplip-libs-3.10.6-3.fc14.i686
Installing hpijs-3.10.6-3.fc14.i686
Installing hplip-3.10.6-3.fc14.i686
Installing libsane-hpaio-3.10.6-3.fc14.i686

I did not have to install anything to get the printer working. It was
an HP, but a different model, and has a network interface, so there
are some differences, but there was nothing additional that had to be
installed.

>> It has been working for me like that since
>> F13 with two or three HP printers and All in Ones
>> But now I tried it in F14 with a HP Laserjet 5P
>> and it doesn't work, System does not recognize printer
>> when I plug it in the USB port (it's a Parallell to USB connection)
>>

>> I already tried installing HPLiP from the HP binary
>> and it gave me a GUI, but the printer is still not getting
>> recognized, it's like I never plug it to the PC.

Not sure this was a good idea.

>> What am I doing wrong?

My setup required some additional steps to add some iptables rules,
but the basic thing I did was use:

System/Administration/Printing

click on Add

Then followed the gui through selecting the printer model, etc. It
all went very smoothly and worked the first time.

If you have already tried this and it did not work, it might be worth
using yum to re-install the hp packages - the hp binary may have hosed
something.

If it still isn't working, post what gets written to /var/log/messages
when you plug the printer in.

Mike

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" 06-19-2011 09:01 PM

HP Laserjet 5P in Fedora 14

Manuel Escudero 06-20-2011 12:45 AM

HP Laserjet 5P in Fedora 14

On 06/19/2011 08:45 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 17:46 -0500, Manuel Escudero wrote:

>> Hi!

>> I've seen that in Fedora you only have to plug in a printer

>> and it usually gets recognized and work, You just have to

>> install these packages:

>> sudo yum -y install hplip hplip-common

>> and if you have a HP scanner:

>> sudo yum -y install libsane-hpaio

>> It has been working for me like that since

>> F13 with two or three HP printers and All in Ones

>> But now I tried it in F14 with a HP Laserjet 5P

>> and it doesn't work, System does not recognize printer

>> when I plug it in the USB port (it's a Parallell to USB connection)

>> I already tried installing HPLiP from the HP binary

>> and it gave me a GUI, but the printer is still not getting

>> recognized, it's like I never plug it to the PC.

>> What am I doing wrong?

>> Thanks!

> I don't know what you are doing wrong. But the default installation of

> F15 on my machine has: hplip, hplip-libs, hplip-common and libsane-hpaio

> are all installed.

If I remember correctly, the 5P is a parallel printer. You may have

to use CUPS to install a parallel printer, especially if the

parallel port module and the parallel printer module are not being

loaded. I have not checked lately to see if they are loaded by default.

Mikkel

- --

*Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,

I've been reading and googling and everything else.. it seemsa problem with the cable I'm using. I'll try to use a Parallel Portcable (Male-Female) instead a Paralallel to USB one, I'll keep you

posted, if anyone has other advice it might be helpful
Thanks.
--
<-Manuel Escudero->
Linux User #509052

@Blogger: http://www.blogxenode.tk/ (Xenode Systems Blog)
PGP/GnuPG: E2B4 31CE F2BF 1944 8664* 3E22 88C8 DFC9 4D7C 1B35