Old 06-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Gary Waters

Default 5-star Fedora experience

The gOS kiddie linux ( yes, I know I'm gonna get hell for that ) based
on ubuntu 8.4 which was installed on my mother's laptop, gagged on some
update which came in and crashed the x-server. I was already fed up
about listening to complaints about poor performance, pidgin certificate
error messages with her MSN account, and other issues. I decided it was
time to try Fedora again. Previously no fedora releases would work on
her crappy acer notebook because of the obscure SIS graphics chipset.
gOS, now defunct, did work and seemed perfect for a 73 year old granny
who just got her first computer and was too paranoid to use windows for
online banking ( sometimes reading "internet for dummies" is NOT a good
thing. :-)

I downloaded the 32-bit Fedora 15 XFCE live cd, ran it, noticed there
were no oscillating yellow lines going down the LCD screen and installed
to hard drive. There is a God! My 75 year old mother loves it! She keep
IM'ing thank yous. It was 100% compatible with her SIS craphics, the
wifi strength is now well into the 90% range instead of the 60% range,
and pidgin is the latest version ( I couldn't get it updated on that 3
year old gOS instllation ).

She raves about the ease of use. She raves about how she prefers the
fonts. She is stunned by the speed, and positively loves the layout. I
let her take a look at gnome 3 on my computer and she went "how cool."
In any case, she was right. I downloaded the XFCE 64-bit live CD and
installed to my notebook. It is very decent indeed.

I just wanted to post something other than "doom&gloom" for a change. ;-)

GW

Old 06-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Fernando Cassia