Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Manuel Escudero

Default HP Laserjet 5P in Fedora 14

Hi!
I've seen that in Fedora you only have to plug in a printerand it usually gets recognized and work, You just have to

install these packages:
sudo yum -y install hplip hplip-common
and if you have a HP scanner:
sudo yum -y install libsane-hpaio

It has been working for me like that since
F13 with two or three HP printers and All in Ones
But now I tried it in F14 with a HP Laserjet 5P
and it doesn't work, System does not recognize printer

when I plug it in the USB port (it's a Parallell to USB connection)
I already tried installing HPLiP from the HP binaryand it gave me a GUI, but the printer is still not getting

recognized, it's like I never plug it to the PC.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!
--*<-Manuel Escudero->
Linux User #509052

@GWave: jmlevick@googlewave.com
@Blogger: http://www.blogxenode.tk/ (Xenode Systems Blog)
PGP/GnuPG: E2B4 31CE F2BF 1944 8664* 3E22 88C8 DFC9 4D7C 1B35

Old 06-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 17:46 -0500, Manuel Escudero wrote:
> Hi!
>

> I've seen that in Fedora you only have to plug in a printer
> and it usually gets recognized and work, You just have to
> install these packages:
>

> sudo yum -y install hplip hplip-common
>
> and if you have a HP scanner:
>
> sudo yum -y install libsane-hpaio
>
> It has been working for me like that since
> F13 with two or three HP printers and All in Ones
> But now I tried it in F14 with a HP Laserjet 5P
> and it doesn't work, System does not recognize printer
> when I plug it in the USB port (it's a Parallell to USB connection)
>

> I already tried installing HPLiP from the HP binary
> and it gave me a GUI, but the printer is still not getting
> recognized, it's like I never plug it to the PC.
>

> What am I doing wrong?
>

> Thanks!

I don't know what you are doing wrong. But the default installation of
F15 on my machine has: hplip, hplip-libs, hplip-common and libsane-hpaio
are all installed.