Old 06-18-2011, 07:13 AM
antonio montagnani

Default Gimp and Eye-of-gnome shows jpeg images that don't match

-
I am using a Pentax kx DSRL camera and I am used to work with raw files,
so I open in GIMP (with Ufraw) and then save it as Jpeg...If I open
saved jpeg image with Eye-of-Gnome I see same Jpeg image quite in
different ways (texture, quality, colours..)

I am lost ;-)
--
Antonio M
Skype: amontag52

Linux Fedora F15 (Lovelock) on Acer 5720

http://lugsaronno.altervista.org
www.campingmonterosa.com
www.studiodacolpaloschi.it

Old 06-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 09:13 +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:
> I am using a Pentax kx DSRL camera and I am used to work with raw files,
> so I open in GIMP (with Ufraw) and then save it as Jpeg...If I open
> saved jpeg image with Eye-of-Gnome I see same Jpeg image quite in
> different ways (texture, quality, colours..)
>
> I am lost ;-)

Are you viewing it at a different magnification? Different programs are
better at handling shrinking a picture to fit the screen, and use
different techniques.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:13 PM
antonio

Tim ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on 18/06/2011 16:04:
> On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 09:13 +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:
>> I am using a Pentax kx DSRL camera and I am used to work with raw files,
>> so I open in GIMP (with Ufraw) and then save it as Jpeg...If I open
>> saved jpeg image with Eye-of-Gnome I see same Jpeg image quite in
>> different ways (texture, quality, colours..)
>>
>> I am lost ;-)
> Are you viewing it at a different magnification? Different programs are
> better at handling shrinking a picture to fit the screen, and use
> different techniques.

Tim,

a rescaled jpeg image has been loaded:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/imgp0379scalata.jpg/

Will you carry same tests I did, open in Gimp and eye-of-Gnome?? Tnx for
attention

Old 06-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 16:13:26 +0200, A wrote:

> Tim ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on 18/06/2011 16:04:
> > On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 09:13 +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:
> >> I am using a Pentax kx DSRL camera and I am used to work with raw files,
> >> so I open in GIMP (with Ufraw) and then save it as Jpeg...If I open
> >> saved jpeg image with Eye-of-Gnome I see same Jpeg image quite in
> >> different ways (texture, quality, colours..)
> >>
> >> I am lost ;-)
> > Are you viewing it at a different magnification? Different programs are
> > better at handling shrinking a picture to fit the screen, and use
> > different techniques.
> >
> Tim,
>
> a rescaled jpeg image has been loaded:
>
> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/imgp0379scalata.jpg/
>
> Will you carry same tests I did, open in Gimp and eye-of-Gnome?? Tnx for
> attention

Cannot reproduce with F15. Opened the image in gimp, eog, and geeqie. Always
displays with the pink nuances (which are missing in one of your examples
in the gallery).

Have you tried to reproduce with a fresh user account yet?

Old 06-19-2011, 05:59 AM
antonio

Michael Schwendt ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on
18/06/2011 20:42:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 16:13:26 +0200, A wrote:
>
>> Tim ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on 18/06/2011 16:04:

>>> Are you viewing it at a different magnification? Different programs are
>>> better at handling shrinking a picture to fit the screen, and use
>>> different techniques.
>>>
>> Tim,
>>
>> a rescaled jpeg image has been loaded:
>>
>> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/imgp0379scalata.jpg/
>>
>> Will you carry same tests I did, open in Gimp and eye-of-Gnome?? Tnx for
>> attention
> Cannot reproduce with F15. Opened the image in gimp, eog, and geeqie. Always
> displays with the pink nuances (which are missing in one of your examples
> in the gallery).
>
> Have you tried to reproduce with a fresh user account yet?

I am using a laptop (Acer) and I have a doubt about colour profiles, I
have a doubt that Geeqie, EOG and Gimp are using different color
profiles, see a new image with all applications (Gimp has more blue
nuisance)...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/schermata3.jpg/

And when I opened a png image the Gimp suddenly asked whether it should
use tha automatic screen color profile
I made same test with a different user, I also deleted the .gimp folder
in order to start from scratch

Tnx