Old 06-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Alexander Volovics

Default Again: the Nvidia driver does not work with Gnome 3

A couple of weeks ago I posted a mail specifying a problem
I had with the Nvidia driver under Fed15/Gnome3.

Using either kmod-nvidia or akmod-nvidia from Rpmfusion the
driver installs OK, the necessary modeset=0 and rdblacklist
are added to the kernel line in grub.conf and an xorg.conf file
added to /etc/X11.

The boot process continues up to the login screen. I can login
and the Gnome desktop appears. But then the screen freezes!
(mouse and keyboard keep working). I can do nothing.
Only Ctrl-Alt-F2 and shutdown.

I have installed and worked with the Nvidia drivers without
problems under Fed15/KDE and Fed15/LXDE using the Rpmfusion
drivers. So the problem is specific to Fed15/Gnome3/Selinux.

Nvidia is recently issued new drivers so I tried it again.
No luck. Exactly the same problem occurs: a frozen Gnome 3
desktop.

I really would like a solution to this problem because the
nouveau driver is not up to the task of running Gnome 3.
And this time there is some responsibility for Fedora/Gnome
because Gnome 3 requires 3D hardware acceleration and the
nouveau driver can't provide it sufficiently yet.

I would appreciate hearing from Fed15/Gnome3 users who
(maybe) have the same graphics card: Geforce 7300 LE in
a Dell Dimension E520 and have also experienced (and maybe
solved) this problem.
Suggestions on how to solve the problem (if possible) are
also welcome.

Alexander

Old 06-18-2011, 02:56 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/18/2011 06:25 AM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> I would appreciate hearing from Fed15/Gnome3 users who
> (maybe) have the same graphics card: Geforce 7300 LE in
> a Dell Dimension E520 and have also experienced (and maybe
> solved) this problem.
> Suggestions on how to solve the problem (if possible) are
> also welcome.

Well, I don't have the same card as you.... I've a GeForce GT 230.

But, I would always get a hard freeze in KDE (and GNOME) whenever I
started google-earth. I've just finished installing the latest
275.09.07 driver from nVidia and the freeze has been resolved.

I can now check the 3D box for the display on my Vbox Fedora VM and run
GNOME 3 in the VM. Previously the VM would crash when starting GNOME.

Of course nVidia driver problems should be reported on their forums. :-)

Old 06-18-2011, 05:39 AM
Mark Eggers

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 00:25:51 +0200, Alexander Volovics wrote:

> I would appreciate hearing from Fed15/Gnome3 users who (maybe) have the
> same graphics card: Geforce 7300 LE in a Dell Dimension E520 and have
> also experienced (and maybe solved) this problem.
> Suggestions on how to solve the problem (if possible) are also welcome.

This is long (as usual).

My current environment:

Platform: Upgraded Dell 8200
CPU: 2.6 GHz P4
Memory: 1.5 GB
Video: 7600 GS (overclocked)
Driver: 275.09.07 (from NVidia)
Screen: Samsung SyncMaster 23" DVI at 1680x1050x24
OS: Fedora 15

It's not quite the same card as yours, but close. Unfortunately this is
an AGP system, so there may be some differences. I've not included my
driver options to enable AGP side band addressing, since that would be
pointless for a PCI-e card.

This works reasonably well for WindowMaker, KDE, and Gnome 3. I'm
editing this post in Emacs under Gnome 3 at present.

The last time I did a full install was with Fedora 10. Since then,
I've upgraded (mostly using preupgrade). I went through the following
releases.

F10 -> F11 -> F12 -> F14 -> F15

My xorg.conf file has been around for a long time, and has evolved a
bit. However, the last edit was on 09/15/2009.

I've posted the background for this system since some of what I do may
no longer be necessary. However since it results in a working system,
optimizing this process has a pretty low priority.

*** IMPORTANT ***
Please note, this works for me. It may or may not work for you. It may
or may not be optimal. Use at your own risk.
*** IMPORTANT ***

1. No modeset line in grub

While I can use modeset to get a graphical boot, there doesn't seem to
be a value for my monitor. Using a reasonably scaled modeset results
in a slower performing desktop (in my experience). Besides, I'm pretty
much of an old school type of person and I like seeing messages scroll
by when a system boots up.

2. Drivers from NVidia

This is less convenient than using rpmfusion's packages, but it seems
to give me a little more flexibility.

3. Installation triggers

Every time a kernel, X server component, mesa component, or a
screensaver component is upgraded, I reinstall my drivers. From my
understanding, NVidia drivers will no longer have problems if you use
the default libraries, so only a kernel upgrade should trigger the
reinstallation. However the reinstall takes only 5 minutes and seems
to generate no problems.

4. Installation steps

4a. Boot into init 3 (oops, systemd.unit=multi-user.target).

4b. Uninstall the current NVidia driver.

I know as part of the reinstall, NVidia attempts to uninstall the
current driver. Unfortunately, this often leaves a bunch of files
about. It's best to uninstall the driver, and then clean up the
remainder as detailed in 4c.

NVIDIA-x86-<driver-version>.run --uninstall

4c. Clean up any remaining files.

Sometimes the NVidia installer fails to completely uninstall the
driver. This can leave shared libraries around which will lead to
unstable operations. The uninstaller will warn you if it did not
remove all of the files.

To find the leftover files, I do the following:

grep /usr /var/log/nvidia-installer.log > cleanup.sh

I then edit the resulting file, adding a #!/bin/bash at the top,
removing comments, and adding an rm before every file that needs to be
removed. Run this as root to clean up the last traces of the previous
installation.

4d. Install the NVidia driver.

./NVIDIA-x86-<driver-version>.run

If you build OpenGL programs, you might want to run:

./NVIDIA-x86-<driver-version>.run --opengl-headers

This will install the OpenGL headers. NVidia has said they'll
standardize on the upstream headers at some point, but again I've not
tested this.

4e. SELinux tweaks

The NVidia install script does a reasonable job at changing the
SELinux properties. At some point in the past I found that these
changes were not enough. Symptoms included performance degradation and
lots of SELinux warnings (I run in permissive mode mostly). To fix
that I run the following script.

#!/bin/bash
chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
semanage fcontext -a -t
texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
chcon -t texrel_shlib_t
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.275.09.07
semanage fcontext -a -t texrel_shlib_t
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.275.09.07
chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.275.09.07
semanage fcontext -a -t texrel_shlib_t
/usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.275.09.07
chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/libGL.so.275.09.07
semanage fcontext -a -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/libGL.so.275.09.07
chcon -t textrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/libvdpau.so.275.09.07
semanage fcontext -a -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/libvdpau.so.275.09.07

Change 275.09.07 to fit the driver version you're
installing. Hopefully word wrap won't damage the script. Read and
modify carefully. You're running this as root, so it's best to
double-check.

Text relocation may no longer be necessary, but I've not taken the
time to experiment with this.

4f. One time SELinux change

When I first brought up Fedora 15 and Gnome 3, there was an SELinux
alert for gnome-session-c and nvidiactl. I just followed the SELinux
Troubleshooter recommendation to make a new local policy. This has
worked out fine.

4g. Reboot

Once all of this is done, reboot and you should have a working
environment.

Here's my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
Option "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Samsung"
ModelName "Samsung SyncMaster T220"
HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
DisplaySize 445 278 # 1680x1050 96dpi
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "PNY 7600GS"
Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
Option "Coolbits" "1"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "BackingStore" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "PixmapCache" "True"
Option "PixmapCacheRoundSizeKB" "4096"
Option "AllowSHMPixmaps" "False"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "enable"
EndSection

Like I said, this seems to work for me. I hope this helps you.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/

PS: I've had some anomalies with Java swing applications and Emacs. If
you maximize a Java swing application, horizontal menu placement seems
to be off. In Emacs, sometimes focus is lost and the file menu has to
be touched before you can work with Emacs (scroll, edit, etc.). I
think both of these are Gnome 3 artifacts and not NVidia artifacts at
this point. However it could be a combination of the two. I would be
interested in hearing from people running Emacs or a Java swing
application under Gnome 3 with a) the nouveau driver or b) an ATI card.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Alexander Volovics

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 10:56:31AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 06/18/2011 06:25 AM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> > I would appreciate hearing from Fed15/Gnome3 users who
> > (maybe) have the same graphics card: Geforce 7300 LE in
> > a Dell Dimension E520 and have also experienced (and maybe
> > solved) this problem.
> > Suggestions on how to solve the problem (if possible) are
> > also welcome.

> Well, I don't have the same card as you.... I've a GeForce GT 230.
> But, I would always get a hard freeze in KDE (and GNOME) whenever I
> started google-earth. I've just finished installing the latest
> 275.09.07 driver from nVidia and the freeze has been resolved.
> I can now check the 3D box for the display on my Vbox Fedora VM and run
> GNOME 3 in the VM. Previously the VM would crash when starting GNOME.

> Of course nVidia driver problems should be reported on their forums. :-)

So they should.

But I find it just a TINY bit exasperating that Gnome 3 has been
be foisted on the world when it is known that the drivers necessary
to appreciate it are not available and won't be available soon
(nouveau/radeon). And that the interaction of Gnome 3 with the
proprietary drivers hasn't been checked (so that you can still
run Gnome 3 if nouveau/radeon does not work or works badly).

I am getting just a little bit too old to chase after every
problem. I now want things to just work :-)

Alexander

Old 06-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Ed Greshko

On 06/19/2011 09:05 PM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> But I find it just a TINY bit exasperating that Gnome 3 has been
> be foisted on the world when it is known that the drivers necessary
> to appreciate it are not available and won't be available soon
> (nouveau/radeon). And that the interaction of Gnome 3 with the
> proprietary drivers hasn't been checked (so that you can still
> run Gnome 3 if nouveau/radeon does not work or works badly).
>
> I am getting just a little bit too old to chase after every
> problem. I now want things to just work

Well, I ran GNOME 3 just fine with my GT 230 and nouveau. So, I don't
know what to make of your earlier post that said Gnome 3 requires HW
acceleration or that it wasn't up to the task of running GNOME 3.

I only switched to the nVidia drivers because my primary/preferred
desktop is KDE but I'd like to experiment with GNOME 3 and that is only
possible with nVidia drivers at the moment.

I don't think the philosophy of Fedora ever was to test with proprietary
drivers...or to consider failures with them as blockers.

If you have problems with the drivers supplied by Fedora then of course
they would appreciate your filing a bugzilla if one isn't already open.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Alexander Volovics

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 05:39:12AM +0000, Mark Eggers wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 00:25:51 +0200, Alexander Volovics wrote:

> > I would appreciate hearing from Fed15/Gnome3 users who (maybe) have the
> > same graphics card: Geforce 7300 LE in a Dell Dimension E520 and have
> > also experienced (and maybe solved) this problem.
> > Suggestions on how to solve the problem (if possible) are also welcome.

> This is long (as usual).
> My current environment:
> Platform: Upgraded Dell 8200
> CPU: 2.6 GHz P4
> Memory: 1.5 GB
> Video: 7600 GS (overclocked)
> Driver: 275.09.07 (from NVidia)
> Screen: Samsung SyncMaster 23" DVI at 1680x1050x24
> OS: Fedora 15
> It's not quite the same card as yours, but close. Unfortunately this is
> an AGP system, so there may be some differences. I've not included my
> driver options to enable AGP side band addressing, since that would be
> pointless for a PCI-e card.
> This works reasonably well for WindowMaker, KDE, and Gnome 3.

Thanks for the long reply.

So evidently you are running Gnome 3 using an AGP 7600 GS with
the Nvidia driver. 7600 GS should not be too different from the 7300 LE
unless the AGP vs PCIe makes a (big) difference.

But I have already wasted more than a few days exploring the problem
so I am not going to use the Nvidia installer to set up the Nvidia driver
to see if that makes a difference (which I doubt).

I installed Fed15/Gnome3 and encountered the irritatingly slow
performance of the nouveau driver and the occasional freezes.
I then used the Rpmfusion kmod and akmod rpms to install the
Nvidia driver. That resulted in the desktop freeze problem.
I googled myself blue in the face to see if anybody had suggested
anything to solve the problem.

When that didn't work I installed Fed15/LXDE and used the Rpmfusion rpms
to install the Nvidia driver. Everything worked perfectly!
To my mind this suggests that Selinux is definitely not involved
(unless there is some Gnome 3 Selinux peculiarity).

To be even more sure I now installed Fed15/KDE and used the Rpmfusion
drivers to install the Nvidia drivers. Again everything worked
perfectly! So I suspect there is some Gnome3/Nvidia conflict.

When the new Nvidia drivers were issued a few days ago I again
installed Fed15/Gnome3 (I don't like KDE very much anyway) to
try the new drivers. No luck again. The same desktop freeze!

I then group installed LXDE from a console screen and shall
continue using LXDE until either a new nouveau driver is available
or I hear of some trick to get Nvidia working with Gnome 3 or
Nvidia issues a new driver that does work with Gnome 3.

Luckily I can taste the forbidden Gnome 3 fruit on my laptop
with Intel graphics.
I am a little bit ambiguous about the taste :-)

Alexander

Old 06-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Alexander Volovics

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 09:26:21PM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Well, I ran GNOME 3 just fine with my GT 230 and nouveau. So, I don't
> know what to make of your earlier post that said Gnome 3 requires HW
> acceleration or that it wasn't up to the task of running GNOME 3.

Well Gnome 3 does require 3D hardware acceleration.

And the nouveau driver IS slow when performing the normal graphics
switches. You could live with that if you are a masochist but a real
show stopper are the random freezes when nothing works anymore and you
have to reboot.

I am certainly not the only one complaining. There have been more
complaints from Fed15/Gnome3 users and you only have to look around
(Arch Linux forums, Ubuntu forums, etc.) to see similar remarks.

It could be that the Nvidia NV40 familie is especially affected.
Nouveau is not at the same level on all Nvidia chips.
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix

> If you have problems with the drivers supplied by Fedora then of course
> they would appreciate your filing a bugzilla if one isn't already open.

Hardly necessary as nouveau 3D is still a work in progress.

Alexander

Old 06-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Ed Greshko

On 06/19/2011 10:24 PM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 09:26:21PM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Well, I ran GNOME 3 just fine with my GT 230 and nouveau. So, I don't
>> know what to make of your earlier post that said Gnome 3 requires HW
>> acceleration or that it wasn't up to the task of running GNOME 3.
> Well Gnome 3 does require 3D hardware acceleration.

If you say so....

> And the nouveau driver IS slow when performing the normal graphics
> switches. You could live with that if you are a masochist but a real
> show stopper are the random freezes when nothing works anymore and you
> have to reboot.

It was not slow on my system. I'd invite you over to see for yourself,
but maybe the airfare is a bit steep.

Also, no freezing here.... Never had to reboot.

> I am certainly not the only one complaining. There have been more
> complaints from Fed15/Gnome3 users and you only have to look around
> (Arch Linux forums, Ubuntu forums, etc.) to see similar remarks.

I am sure you are having a problem. Just don't try to tell me that I'm
having the same problems.

> It could be that the Nvidia NV40 familie is especially affected.
> Nouveau is not at the same level on all Nvidia chips.
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix

Of course not.... Which is why I'm using the nVidia drivers as I've
said. I'm just saying that if not for the Vbox glitch I would have
stuck with nouveau to be a nice FOSS citizen. :-)
>> If you have problems with the drivers supplied by Fedora then of course
>> they would appreciate your filing a bugzilla if one isn't already open.
> Hardly necessary as nouveau 3D is still a work in progress.

I have a different philosophy. The more people write bug reports, even
if they are working on something, the better. Even adding yourself to
cc's adds weight. But that's just me.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 06/19/2011 07:54 PM, Alexander Volovics wrote:

> Well Gnome 3 does require 3D hardware acceleration.

To be more accurate, GNOME Shell requires hardware acceleration.
Fallback mode in GNOME 3 does not and work is being done upstream, Adam
Jackson, Red Hat Xorg developer to make software rendering in Mesa
capable enough to run GNOME Shell, perhaps by Fedora 16.

> And the nouveau driver IS slow when performing the normal graphics
> switches. You could live with that if you are a masochist but a real
> show stopper are the random freezes when nothing works anymore and you
> have to reboot.

Nouveau works just fine on my test system. It really does depend on the
specific hardware.

> Hardly necessary as nouveau 3D is still a work in progress.

The work in progress is guided by feedback from users. I would consider
it necessary

Rahul

Old 06-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Alexander Volovics

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 02:55:29AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:>

Ed Greshko & Rahul Sundaram

> > Hardly necessary as nouveau 3D is still a work in progress.

> The work in progress is guided by feedback from users. I would consider
> it necessary

As a result of the community spirit your combined "words masculine
perswasive force begot in me" (to paraphrase the great English poet)
I repented and submitted a bug report (bugzilla 714800) :-)

Alexander