Old 06-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default systemctl command that is the same as chkconfig --level

I searched the man page of systemctl and I can't find one that is
eqwuivalent to: chkconfig --level 35 <service name> on

Is there such a command?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> eqwuivalent to: chkconfig --level 35 <service name>

To start it during this session:

systemctl start <service name>.service

To start every time you start graphical.target:

systemctl enable <service name>.service

I'm not sure how you would differentiate between multi-user.target and
graphical.target.

Don't quote me, but I think this is it.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:

> I'm not sure how you would differentiate between multi-user.target and
> graphical.target.

I just remembered that multi-user.target is a subset of graphical.target, so
this should likely cover your needs.

Again, don't quote me.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Petrus de Calguarium writes:

To start it during this session:

systemctl start <service name>.service

To start every time you start graphical.target:

systemctl enable <service name>.service

I'm not sure how you would differentiate between multi-user.target and
graphical.target.

This is specified by the service unit. systemd uses a slightly different
paradigm. The service itself knows what system state it should be running
in, by default. Enabling the service puts it as a target for the state.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> This is specified by the service unit. systemd uses a slightly different
> paradigm. The service itself knows what system state it should be running
> in, by default. Enabling the service puts it as a target for the state.

I'm glad you know what you're talking about. It's pretty well all gibberish to
me. :-)

But the commands should work, non?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> This is specified by the service unit. systemd uses a slightly different
> paradigm. The service itself knows what system state it should be running
> in, by default. Enabling the service puts it as a target for the state.

I'm glad you know what you're talking about. It's pretty well all gibberish

me. :-)

But the commands should work, non?

Well, those are the right commands. I know that much, at least. My knowledge
of systemd is limited only to what I had to figure out to fix the systemd-
related subset of everything that was utterly broken after updating from F14
to F15.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:46 AM
Petrus de Calguarium

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> My knowledge
> of systemd is limited only to what I had to figure out to fix the systemd-
> related subset of everything that was utterly broken after updating from
> F14 to F15.

Same here. I had to rewrite all of my scripts. Just really easy stuff, like
starting a daemon before performing a task, or checking whether it was already
running, and then stopping it after having performed the task, if I had started
it. That's why I refused to stick with F14 after the reversion to upstart. I
went straight to F15 pre-alpha/rawhide. I didn't want to undo all my work, only
to have to redo it all in a couple of months.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Arthur Dent

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 16:41 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I searched the man page of systemctl and I can't find one that is
> eqwuivalent to: chkconfig --level 35 <service name> on
>
> Is there such a command?

This doesn't quite answer your question, but I have found this page to
be useful:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet

Old 06-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 15:53 -0600, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > eqwuivalent to: chkconfig --level 35 <service name>
>
> To start it during this session:
>
> systemctl start <service name>.service
>
> To start every time you start graphical.target:
>
> systemctl enable <service name>.service
>
> I'm not sure how you would differentiate between multi-user.target and
> graphical.target.
>
> Don't quote me, but I think this is it.

You note the problem with your answer. The chkconfig example prepares
the service to start in runlevel 3 and 5 at the same time. Your commands
do not.

In fact what in this command indicates that it applies to the graphical

Old 06-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 19:01 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Petrus de Calguarium writes:
>
> > To start it during this session:
> >
> > systemctl start <service name>.service
> >
> > To start every time you start graphical.target:
> >
> > systemctl enable <service name>.service
> >
> > I'm not sure how you would differentiate between multi-user.target and
> > graphical.target.
>
> This is specified by the service unit. systemd uses a slightly different
> paradigm. The service itself knows what system state it should be running
> in, by default. Enabling the service puts it as a target for the state.

Now II am really confused. How does a service like sshd.service know
what system state it is to run at