Old 06-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Matt Domsch

Default Yum and security

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:41:14AM -0600, CS DBA wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> We're having discussions within our company about standardizing on a
> Linux server OS so we can also standardize our methods & approaches to
> configuration, security, etc based on what type of server it is (web,
> database, etc).
>
> That said, we'll need to be able to manage updates in a very controlled
> manner. Can anyone point me to any info, documentation, etc in the area
> of managing security on RedHat / RPM based distro's, how to manage
> security updates via yum, best practices for non yum based packages, etc ?

You may also wish to look into how Red Hat Network (Satellite) and its
open source upstream, Spacewalk, work. Additionally, you can
certainly host your own QA-tested-and-approved yum repos on an https
server which you completely control the content thereof, and point
your servers at those repos - a lot of people do this.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch