FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-17-2011, 06:29 AM
JD
 
Default 32bit cardbus card hangs fedora during boot

My old laptop lacks usb2.0 ports.
So I bought a Syba pcmcia card with 3 usb 2.0 ports and
an eSATA port (for my external drive).

The boot hangs when it detects the presence of the card.
I have another card from some other manufacturer (card
is not branded) with only eSATA ports, and it does
not hang the system at all.

Not sure how to grab enough information to open a bug.
When the system hangs, I lose all comm with the system,
and I have to reboot.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default 32bit cardbus card hangs fedora during boot

On 06/17/2011 02:29 PM, JD wrote:
> My old laptop lacks usb2.0 ports.
> So I bought a Syba pcmcia card with 3 usb 2.0 ports and
> an eSATA port (for my external drive).
>
> The boot hangs when it detects the presence of the card.
> I have another card from some other manufacturer (card
> is not branded) with only eSATA ports, and it does
> not hang the system at all.
>
> Not sure how to grab enough information to open a bug.
> When the system hangs, I lose all comm with the system,
> and I have to reboot.
>

What happens if you insert the card after the system is already up and
running?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-17-2011, 07:09 AM
JD
 
Default 32bit cardbus card hangs fedora during boot

On 06/17/2011 12:03 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/17/2011 02:29 PM, JD wrote:
>> My old laptop lacks usb2.0 ports.
>> So I bought a Syba pcmcia card with 3 usb 2.0 ports and
>> an eSATA port (for my external drive).
>>
>> The boot hangs when it detects the presence of the card.
>> I have another card from some other manufacturer (card
>> is not branded) with only eSATA ports, and it does
>> not hang the system at all.
>>
>> Not sure how to grab enough information to open a bug.
>> When the system hangs, I lose all comm with the system,
>> and I have to reboot.
>>
> What happens if you insert the card after the system is already up and
> running?
If I insert the good card, the card is recognized,
and I can hot plug the external drive into the esata port
and all is well.

The Syba card freezes the system whether I plug it in
before or after boot.
To be fair to Syba, they gave me an RMA and I returned
it for an exchange. Will know in 2 weeks what the replacement
card will do.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default 32bit cardbus card hangs fedora during boot

On 06/17/2011 03:09 PM, JD wrote:
> If I insert the good card, the card is recognized,
> and I can hot plug the external drive into the esata port
> and all is well.
>
> The Syba card freezes the system whether I plug it in
> before or after boot.
> To be fair to Syba, they gave me an RMA and I returned
> it for an exchange. Will know in 2 weeks what the replacement
> card will do.
>

If the system hangs on an insert, did you check /var/log/messages for
any information which may have been recorded before the hang?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-17-2011, 04:33 PM
JD
 
Default 32bit cardbus card hangs fedora during boot

On 06/17/2011 12:11 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/17/2011 03:09 PM, JD wrote:
>> If I insert the good card, the card is recognized,
>> and I can hot plug the external drive into the esata port
>> and all is well.
>>
>> The Syba card freezes the system whether I plug it in
>> before or after boot.
>> To be fair to Syba, they gave me an RMA and I returned
>> it for an exchange. Will know in 2 weeks what the replacement
>> card will do.
>>
> If the system hangs on an insert, did you check /var/log/messages for
> any information which may have been recorded before the hang?
Jun 15 22:05:34 localhost kernel: pcmcia_socket pcmcia_socket0: pccard:
CardBus card inserted into slot 0

and that's it! No more info after that.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org