Old 06-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Joe Zeff

Default Was systemd discussion

On 06/15/2011 11:21 PM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
> OK, you got me with the pointer arithmetic in FORTRAN trick. That is
> precisely the sort of thing that the word "hack" was originally intended
> to indicate and the sort of wizardry only available to those who have a
> complete understanding of what is going on in the code, compiler and
> hardware.

I assure you, Dan didn't do that sort of thing just because he could.
He did it because it was the only way to get the job done in FORTRAN,
and he couldn't use a language with pointers because the whole project
was to create a set of subroutines *for* FORTRAN. If anybody really
wants to know about this, email me off-list because there's no way in
the world I'm going to bore and/or confuse the rest of you.