Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 AM
"Brian C. Huffman"

Default F15 - Hidden Wireless not automatic

All,

Has anyone else experienced the problem where a hidden wireless network
will never automatically configure? Even though fedora has saved all of
the necessary settings (essid, encryption info), i have to manually go
to Network-Settings->Wireless->Network-Name->Other and select my network
for it to work. If the laptop has just resumed, it will likely show up
in the list, but still will not automatically connect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 06-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Genes MailLists

On 06/16/2011 07:58 AM, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> All,
>
> Has anyone else experienced the problem where a hidden wireless network
> will never automatically configure? Even though fedora has saved all of
> the necessary settings (essid, encryption info), i have to manually go
> to Network-Settings->Wireless->Network-Name->Other and select my network
> for it to work. If the laptop has just resumed, it will likely show up
> in the list, but still will not automatically connect.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

If this is under your control, I'd suggest you don't hide the SSID -
its almost always pointless, adds no security and is borderline
violation of the 802.11x standards

It may cause some clients to choose to not engage with AP's which do
not broadcast the SSID (and this is allowed by the 802.11 spec .. tho
the wording is dodgy and I'd bow to Tim Smith as a real expert).

If the naughty AP is not under your control you might talk to its
owner and let them know its a good idea to broadcast its SSID and not
hide it.

gene

Old 06-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Tim Smith

> On 06/16/2011 07:58 AM, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced the problem where a hidden wireless network
> > will never automatically configure? Even though fedora has saved all of
> > the necessary settings (essid, encryption info), i have to manually go
> > to Network-Settings->Wireless->Network-Name->Other and select my network
> > for it to work. If the laptop has just resumed, it will likely show up
> > in the list, but still will not automatically connect.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
>
> If this is under your control, I'd suggest you don't hide the SSID -
> its almost always pointless, adds no security and is borderline
> violation of the 802.11x standards
>
> It may cause some clients to choose to not engage with AP's which do
> not broadcast the SSID (and this is allowed by the 802.11 spec .. tho
> the wording is dodgy and I'd bow to Tim Smith as a real expert).

If you think that wording is dodgy, you try getting your head round Block
ACK :-)

wpa_supplicant supports setting scan_ssid=1 in the network block to make it
scan with a specific SSID in the probe requests, thus getting responses only
from the AP which has that SSID (and spotting the "hidden" ones that won't
respond unless you do this).

/usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant-0.7.3/wpa_supplicant.conf on my F15 system
warns that this will add latency to scanning, which I simply don't believe.
In a target-poor environment you will send more probe requests, but people
typically don't have so many networks configured that this matters. In a
target-rich environment it cuts down the storm of probe responses and thus
improves things - you get APs on the far edge of range colliding with their
probe responses and increasing the probability that the one you really
wanted to see didn't get a look-in before the scanning station gave up and
moved to the next channel.

I think scan_ssid=1 should be the default, to be honest. If your network
config is in the text file you can probably fix this. I've got a suspicion
that you don't get to use wpa_supplicant.conf with NetworkManager though. I
don't have any NetworkManager-enabled systems to check with though; my boxes
are either servers or I need NM to stay out of the way for other reasons.

--
But while the ant gathered food, the grasshopper contracted to a point on a
manifold that was NOT a 3-sphere...

Old 06-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Genes MailLists

On 06/16/2011 11:32 AM, Tim Smith wrote:

> I think scan_ssid=1 should be the default, to be honest. If your network
> config is in the text file you can probably fix this. I've got a suspicion
s.

I wonder if there is RFE in NM for this .. sounds like a good idea to me.

gene