Old 06-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Michael Hennebry

Default How do I point a mail client at Microsoft outlook?

For work, I have had to use Microsoft outlook for e-mail.
I'd like to be able to get at it through either
KMail or evolution on my home F13 machine.
I've tried to set up both without success.
That I've never used a mail client before probably doesn't help.

With KMail I'm stuck when I get to
Server Innformation
Incoming server:
Outgoing server:
Use local delivery

With evolution, I'm stuck when I get to the "Receiving Email" page.
For server, I'm completely stuck.
Which username?
My name on my box or the username part of my e-mail address?

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/15/2011 03:16 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> With KMail I'm stuck when I get to
> Server Innformation
> Incoming server:
> Outgoing server:
> Use local delivery

There was a time when I could easily have talked you through finding the
information in Outlook, but I happily recycled those neurons years ago.
Talk to the helpdesk at work, tell them what you need and they'll give
you everything you need. HTH, HAND.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Frank Cox

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 17:16:58 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry wrote:

> For work, I have had to use Microsoft outlook for e-mail.
> I'd like to be able to get at it through either
> KMail or evolution on my home F13 machine.
> I've tried to set up both without success.
> That I've never used a mail client before probably doesn't help.

Microsoft Outlook IS a mail client.

If you want to receive mail from a mail server (such as sendmail, postfix or,
in the Microsoft world, Microsoft Exchange) then you can use Microsoft Outlook
or any of a huge number of mail clients on Linux such as Kmail, Evolution, or
my personal favourite, Sylpheed, to pick up mail from the mail server.

If you want to transfer existing email from your Microsoft Outlook datafiles to
a different mail client that isn't Microsoft Outlook, that's a different
question. It's my current understanding that you can use Thunderbird on
Windows to import a pst file and then import from that into Evolution or,
possibly, Sylpheed.

If you want to be able to use both Microsoft Outlook and a Linux mail client in
tandem, i.e. check and respond to your email from both systems, then you will
require a mail server that supports the imap protocol. Depending on who
provides your email service (your isp, usually) this capability may or may not
be provided.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Michael Hennebry writes:

For work, I have had to use Microsoft outlook for e-mail.
I'd like to be able to get at it through either
KMail or evolution on my home F13 machine.
I've tried to set up both without success.
That I've never used a mail client before probably doesn't help.

With KMail I'm stuck when I get to
Server Innformation
Incoming server:
Outgoing server:
Use local delivery

Ask your helpdesk at work for IMAP and SMTP connection and login information
for your Exchange account.

There's a slim chance that you'll get lucky and they won't react as if
you've grown a second head on your shoulders, and give you that; then you'll
just plug that into the above dialogs.

If your Exchange server does not have IMAP and SMTP enabled, you're out of
luck.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Joe Zeff wrote:

> On 06/15/2011 03:16 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> With KMail I'm stuck when I get to
>> Server Innformation
>> Incoming server:
>> Outgoing server:
>> Use local delivery
>>

> There was a time when I could easily have talked you through finding the
> information in Outlook, but I happily recycled those neurons years ago.
> Talk to the helpdesk at work, tell them what you need and they'll give
> you everything you need. HTH, HAND.

Alas, I expect not. We are rapidly becoming a Windows-only shop.
I have my doubts they actually know.
I'm pretty sure Microsoft has the actual mail.
Supposing they do know, neither evolution nor
KMail is on their list of approved clients.
How should I phrase the question to avoid explicitly mentioning a client?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 17:16:58 -0500 (CDT)
> Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
>> For work, I have had to use Microsoft outlook for e-mail.
>> I'd like to be able to get at it through either
>> KMail or evolution on my home F13 machine.
>> I've tried to set up both without success.
>> That I've never used a mail client before probably doesn't help.
>
> Microsoft Outlook IS a mail client.

I've just been using the web interface.
Before the migration, I'd used Squirrel Mail.

> If you want to be able to use both Microsoft Outlook and a Linux mail client in
> tandem, i.e. check and respond to your email from both systems, then you will
> require a mail server that supports the imap protocol. Depending on who
> provides your email service (your isp, usually) this capability may or may not
> be provided.

Ouch. I'm pretty sure it's POP.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 17:16 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> For work, I have had to use Microsoft outlook for e-mail.
> I'd like to be able to get at it through either
> KMail or evolution on my home F13 machine.
> I've tried to set up both without success.
> That I've never used a mail client before probably doesn't help.
>
> With KMail I'm stuck when I get to
> Server Innformation
> Incoming server:
> Outgoing server:
> Use local delivery
>
> With evolution, I'm stuck when I get to the "Receiving Email" page.
> For server, I'm completely stuck.
> Which username?
> My name on my box or the username part of my e-mail address?

Evolution has plugins that can be used to connect to an Exchange server
using MS protocols, but it has to be set up and there's more than one
way to do it. Since I've never had to deal with this myself, my
recommendation is that you ask on the Evolution list
(http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list) where this topic
is frequently discussed.

poc

Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 18:39 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Michael Hennebry writes:
>
> > For work, I have had to use Microsoft outlook for e-mail.
> > I'd like to be able to get at it through either
> > KMail or evolution on my home F13 machine.
> > I've tried to set up both without success.
> > That I've never used a mail client before probably doesn't help.
> >
> > With KMail I'm stuck when I get to
> > Server Innformation
> > Incoming server:
> > Outgoing server:
> > Use local delivery
>
> Ask your helpdesk at work for IMAP and SMTP connection and login information
> for your Exchange account.
>
> There's a slim chance that you'll get lucky and they won't react as if
> you've grown a second head on your shoulders, and give you that; then you'll
> just plug that into the above dialogs.
>
> If your Exchange server does not have IMAP and SMTP enabled, you're out of
> luck.

Not entirely. Exchange supports something called OWA (Outlook Web
Access), and Evolution can talk to Exchange servers outside of IMAP.

poc

Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 17:39 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Joe Zeff wrote:
>
> > On 06/15/2011 03:16 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> >> With KMail I'm stuck when I get to
> >> Server Innformation
> >> Incoming server:
> >> Outgoing server:
> >> Use local delivery
> >>

> > There was a time when I could easily have talked you through finding the
> > information in Outlook, but I happily recycled those neurons years ago.
> > Talk to the helpdesk at work, tell them what you need and they'll give
> > you everything you need. HTH, HAND.
>
> Alas, I expect not. We are rapidly becoming a Windows-only shop.
> I have my doubts they actually know.
> I'm pretty sure Microsoft has the actual mail.
> Supposing they do know, neither evolution nor
> KMail is on their list of approved clients.
> How should I phrase the question to avoid explicitly mentioning a client?

Ask them how to access your mail from your smartphone. If you don't have
one just pretend you're evaluating which one to get.

poc

Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 17:44 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Frank Cox wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 17:16:58 -0500 (CDT)
> > Michael Hennebry wrote:
> >
> >> For work, I have had to use Microsoft outlook for e-mail.
> >> I'd like to be able to get at it through either
> >> KMail or evolution on my home F13 machine.
> >> I've tried to set up both without success.
> >> That I've never used a mail client before probably doesn't help.
> >
> > Microsoft Outlook IS a mail client.
>
> I've just been using the web interface.
> Before the migration, I'd used Squirrel Mail.
>
> > If you want to be able to use both Microsoft Outlook and a Linux mail client in
> > tandem, i.e. check and respond to your email from both systems, then you will
> > require a mail server that supports the imap protocol. Depending on who
> > provides your email service (your isp, usually) this capability may or may not
> > be provided.
>
> Ouch. I'm pretty sure it's POP.

Then you're laughing. Any of the Linux mail clients can read POP as long
as you know how to authenticate to the server.

poc