Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Stuart McGraw

Default Possible to turn off NetworkManager?

In the past (fedora-8, fedora-11), I have always turned
off the NetworkManager service, leaving just the network
service running and configured by network (which are wired
and seldom change) by editing configuration files or using
a little network config tool (forgot what its executable
name was).

In Fedora 15 when I turn off NetworkManager service
(systemctl disable NetworkManager.service) and turn on
the network service and reboot, I get all sorts of dire
messages in syslog[*], and I have no network connectivity.

I would like to turn off services that don't offer any
useful (to me, at least I think) functionality, like
NetworkManager. Is this still possible in Fedora-15/systemd?
[*] For example:
Jun 11 10:50:43 soga dbus-daemon: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status' for details.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Stuart McGraw writes:

In the past (fedora-8, fedora-11), I have always turned
off the NetworkManager service, leaving just the network
service running and configured by network (which are wired
and seldom change) by editing configuration files or using
a little network config tool (forgot what its executable
name was).

In Fedora 15 when I turn off NetworkManager service
(systemctl disable NetworkManager.service) and turn on
the network service and reboot, I get all sorts of dire
messages in syslog[*], and I have no network connectivity.

I have two machines running without NetworkManager, without any issues.

In addition to disabling NetworkManager, make sure that your network
interfaces are not marked as being managed by NetworkManager!

I don't recall having to do anything drastic to disable it. On one machine,
it's simply disabled. On the second machine, the NetworkManager rpm isn't
even installed.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Tom Horsley

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:59:45 -0600
Stuart McGraw wrote:

> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load

That means it is off, but people are gonna complain about it
now. It is still off though. My system runs fine with those
warnings (I haven't yet tried to try down who the heck is
asking for NM so I could maybe turn them off as well :-).

Old 06-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Stuart McGraw

On 06/15/2011 04:05 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:59:45 -0600
> Stuart McGraw wrote:
>
>> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load
>
> That means it is off, but people are gonna complain about it
> now. It is still off though. My system runs fine with those
> warnings (I haven't yet tried to try down who the heck is
> asking for NM so I could maybe turn them off as well :-).

Thanks, knowing that I'll ignore them for now.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Stuart McGraw

On 06/15/2011 03:38 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Stuart McGraw writes:
[..]
>> In Fedora 15 when I turn off NetworkManager service
>> (systemctl disable NetworkManager.service) and turn on
>> the network service and reboot, I get all sorts of dire
>> messages in syslog[*], and I have no network connectivity.
[...]
> In addition to disabling NetworkManager, make sure that your network
> interfaces are not marked as being managed by NetworkManager!

I forgot to do that first time around. Thanks!