Old 06-15-2011, 04:41 PM
CS DBA

Default Yum and security

Hi All;

We're having discussions within our company about standardizing on a
Linux server OS so we can also standardize our methods & approaches to
configuration, security, etc based on what type of server it is (web,
database, etc).

That said, we'll need to be able to manage updates in a very controlled
manner. Can anyone point me to any info, documentation, etc in the area
of managing security on RedHat / RPM based distro's, how to manage
security updates via yum, best practices for non yum based packages, etc ?

Thanks in advance

Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Markku Kolkka

15.6.2011 19:41, CS DBA kirjoitti:
> That said, we'll need to be able to manage updates in a very controlled
> manner. Can anyone point me to any info, documentation, etc in the area
> of managing security on RedHat / RPM based distro's, how to manage
> security updates via yum, best practices for non yum based packages, etc ?

RHEL Security Guide:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Security_Guide/index.html

NSA Guide to the Secure Configuration of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5:
http://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/os/redhat/rhel5-guide-i731.pdf

--
Markku Kolkka
markku.kolkka@iki.fi