Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 PM
"Roelof 'Ben' Kusters"

Default Special Characters

Hi There,

I'm using the US English keyboard, and am so used to that, I don't want to
change the layout.
However, I type quite a few things in Dutch, and in F14 and earlier, I had
standard enabled a special character "thingy" in the panel. This allowed
me to chose a character (like or - the most common two in Dutch) and
hit ctrl+v (yes, I know, paste would work too) and get that character in
my text.
With the absence in panels, I would like to know if there is a way to
assign certain key-combinations to make (application independent) certain
letters? I mean, I don't only use them in LibreOffice, but also in Opera,
or Chrome... Is there a way to always get the same result?

Ideally I would like to get the combination ctrl+'+e to make , and
ctrl+shift+;+i to make (or ctrl+:+i to make ). Anyone any thoughts?

--
Greetz,

Roelof Kusters
aka Ben

The internet isn't a highway, it's a swamp: the more you surf, the more it
draws you in.

Make 1000 euros in minutes! Sell my house: http://www.bentrein.com/house

Old 06-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Tim

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 20:01 +0700, Roelof 'Ben' Kusters wrote:
> Ideally I would like to get the combination ctrl+'+e to make , and
> ctrl+shift+;+i to make (or ctrl+:+i to make ). Anyone any thoughts?

One way that used to be done, was by setting up a "compose" key in the
keyboard preferences. Then, to make special characters, you'd type your
compose key, then type the other characters that looked like the
character that you wanted to create. ("Type" as in type one key after
another, not hold all the keys down at the same time.)

e.g. compose a e would produce
compose a ` would produce
compose a ' would produce
compose a " would produce

You could do most of the obvious characters that way, though a few
always elude me. Like how to type the degrees symbol.

I don't know if it's still done that way, I'm not using the latest
release of Fedora.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Sjoerd Mullender

On 2011-06-15 17:21, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 20:01 +0700, Roelof 'Ben' Kusters wrote:
>> Ideally I would like to get the combination ctrl+'+e to make , and
>> ctrl+shift+;+i to make (or ctrl+:+i to make ). Anyone any thoughts?
>
> One way that used to be done, was by setting up a "compose" key in the
> keyboard preferences. Then, to make special characters, you'd type your
> compose key, then type the other characters that looked like the
> character that you wanted to create. ("Type" as in type one key after
> another, not hold all the keys down at the same time.)
>
> e.g. compose a e would produce
> compose a ` would produce
> compose a ' would produce
> compose a " would produce
>
> You could do most of the obvious characters that way, though a few
> always elude me. Like how to type the degrees symbol.

compose o o

See http://www.hermit.org/Linux/ComposeKeys.html for a big list.

--
Sjoerd Mullender

Old 06-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Roelof 'Ben' Kusters wrote:

> I'm using the US English keyboard, and am so used to that, I don't want to
> change the layout.

I type a lot in German and French and I also use the US 104-key generic layout.
In systemsettings/input devices/keyboard/layouts, you can select US-
international with dead keys (sometimes called acentos).

This works great! You have exactly the same keys as are shown on the keyboard,
with the added enhancement that diacritical marks actually work the way they
are supposed to, ie., they wait until you type a letter after typing them
before displaying the accented character on the screen. If you want to type the
diacritical mark by itself, which occurs mostly with the apostrophe or the
quotation mark, you type alt-diacritical mark. There is no relearning involved.
It all works naturally and the way it is supposed to.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 11:19 -0600, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Roelof 'Ben' Kusters wrote:
>
> > I'm using the US English keyboard, and am so used to that, I don't want to
> > change the layout.
>
> I type a lot in German and French and I also use the US 104-key generic layout.
> In systemsettings/input devices/keyboard/layouts, you can select US-
> international with dead keys (sometimes called acentos).
>
> This works great! You have exactly the same keys as are shown on the keyboard,
> with the added enhancement that diacritical marks actually work the way they
> are supposed to, ie., they wait until you type a letter after typing them
> before displaying the accented character on the screen. If you want to type the
> diacritical mark by itself, which occurs mostly with the apostrophe or the
> quotation mark, you type alt-diacritical mark.

Or diacritical+space, which works all the time. I speak as one with an
apostrophe in my name :-)

> There is no relearning involved.
> It all works naturally and the way it is supposed to.

+1

IMHO this is the only reasonable way to do accented characters. The
"compose-key" combos are hopeless for people who actually use accents
continually, as I do in Spanish. The other option (using a special
language keyboard) can be even worse. Imagine a keyboard with no visible
@, |, {, #, etc. Monolingual programmers need to aware that accents
aren't an optional extra but something that if you need them you need
them all the time and in every context (outside actual programming for
the most part).

poc

Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 PM
nomnex

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:50:56 -0430
Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO this is the only reasonable way to do accented characters.

I used to simultaneously press <Ctrl>, <Shift> and <U> keys.
Release "U" key and enter Unicode symbol's hex code (I use Fr/En)... It
does not always work (eg. applications using a QT toolkit)

Linux compose key sequences method is a gem (first time to read about
it)!

Could somebody help me setting the compose key on Fedora LXDE 13.
I probably have to edit a text file. Which one, how, and its location
would help. Thanks

--
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com>

Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> Or diacritical+space, which works all the time. I speak as one with an
> apostrophe in my name :-)

I have an :-) but in English, I usually just use ue.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 16:59 -0600, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > Or diacritical+space, which works all the time. I speak as one with an
> > apostrophe in my name :-)
>
> I have an :-) but in English, I usually just use ue.

pops up in Spanish now and again, though not as frequently as . The
hardest to remember are and (open query and open exclamation mark)
because they aren't accents but independent punctuation signs.

poc

Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

nomnex wrote:

> I used to simultaneously press <Ctrl>, <Shift> and <U> keys.
> Release "U" key and enter Unicode symbol's hex code

Holy Moley! But you have to memorize the unicode hex code for each character.
You're right, it doesn't work in KDE.

> Linux compose key sequences method is a gem

I like them, too, for some of those character that I forget how to make. I
often forget the placement of the on the us-international layout. Where is it
again?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 PM
nomnex

nobody to help me setting a compose key on LXDE? I found an article
about editing XORG.

in /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules, the xorg file is now auto generated.
And it says do DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE.

I have include this command in my bashrc file to be able to switch from
US/CH(F) "setxkbmap -layout "jp,ch(fr)" -option "grp:alt_shift_toggle"

There is probably a file I could set &the compose key, &the keyboard
layout?

Anyone?

--
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com>