Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 AM
Abu Attar Musharih

Default How to make gnome3 on F15 more convenient

Dear All,

One think I found convenient in the gnome on F14 is a panel where you
can put launcher packages. Whenever you need a package, it is only a
single click away. The question is, can I do similar thing for the
gnome3 on F15.
Thanks for any suggestion.

AA

Old 06-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

Old 06-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Stuart McGraw

On 06/15/2011 12:54 AM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> On 06/15/2011 08:30 AM, Abu Attar Musharih wrote:
>> One think I found convenient in the gnome on F14 is a panel where you
>> can put launcher packages. Whenever you need a package, it is only a
>> single click away. The question is, can I do similar thing for the
>> gnome3 on F15.
>> Thanks for any suggestion.
>
> Check out the following thread by Antonio Olivares on this mailing list,
> I think you will find a lot of beneficial infor there:

I also am having trouble trying to "adapt" to Gnome3.

Two things which I found helped a lot (and are mentioned
in the referenced thread above but I'll mention explicitly
here to save some digging..)

yum install gnome3-shell-extensions-dock

This adds something like the vertical bar with favorite
application icons that is on the left side of the screen
in the Overview mode, to the right side and makes it visible
all the time.

The second was to

yum install gnome-tweak-tool

run it, and in the File Manager section, turn on "Have
File Manager handle the desktop". This allows any things
you had in your gnome2 ~/Desktop directory (including
program launchers) to appear (and function) on your Gnome
3 desktop. I'm not sure if there is a way of creating
new launchers in Gnome 3 -- I've been just using the ones
I created in F11's Gnome 2.

I am still find moving back and forth between workspaces
to be a PITA tho.

HTH

Old 06-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Steve Underwood

On 06/15/2011 10:43 PM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> On 06/15/2011 12:54 AM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
>> On 06/15/2011 08:30 AM, Abu Attar Musharih wrote:
>>> One think I found convenient in the gnome on F14 is a panel where you
>>> can put launcher packages. Whenever you need a package, it is only a
>>> single click away. The question is, can I do similar thing for the
>>> gnome3 on F15.
>>> Thanks for any suggestion.
>> Check out the following thread by Antonio Olivares on this mailing list,
>> I think you will find a lot of beneficial infor there:

> I also am having trouble trying to "adapt" to Gnome3.
>
> Two things which I found helped a lot (and are mentioned
> in the referenced thread above but I'll mention explicitly
> here to save some digging..)
>
> yum install gnome3-shell-extensions-dock
>
> This adds something like the vertical bar with favorite
> application icons that is on the left side of the screen
> in the Overview mode, to the right side and makes it visible
> all the time.
>
> The second was to
>
> yum install gnome-tweak-tool
>
> run it, and in the File Manager section, turn on "Have
> File Manager handle the desktop". This allows any things
> you had in your gnome2 ~/Desktop directory (including
> program launchers) to appear (and function) on your Gnome
> 3 desktop. I'm not sure if there is a way of creating
> new launchers in Gnome 3 -- I've been just using the ones
> I created in F11's Gnome 2.
>
> I am still find moving back and forth between workspaces
> to be a PITA tho.

I think you mean

yum install gnome-shell-extensions-dock

Steve

Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Stuart McGraw

On 06/15/2011 08:57 AM, Steve Underwood wrote:
> On 06/15/2011 10:43 PM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
[...]
> I think you mean
>
> yum install gnome-shell-extensions-dock

Yes, thanks.