Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 AM
JD

Default Blu Ray Burner

I am considering buying a blue ray burner.
What app on linux handles blu ray drives
for reading/writing, ..etc

I am hoping that wodim will be able to handle it,
but do not know for certain.

Thanx,

JD

Old 06-15-2011, 02:31 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/15/2011 10:17 AM, JD wrote:
> I am considering buying a blue ray burner.
> What app on linux handles blu ray drives
> for reading/writing, ..etc
>
> I am hoping that wodim will be able to handle it,
> but do not know for certain.

A bit of superficial Google-ing suggests that the only application
capable of burning at this time is Nero 4.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:43 AM
JD

On 06/14/2011 07:31 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/15/2011 10:17 AM, JD wrote:
>> I am considering buying a blue ray burner.
>> What app on linux handles blu ray drives
>> for reading/writing, ..etc
>>
>> I am hoping that wodim will be able to handle it,
>> but do not know for certain.
>>

> A bit of superficial Google-ing suggests that the only application
> capable of burning at this time is Nero 4.

Thanx for confirming my googling results
I was hoping that someone might have some
"esoteric" knowledge of linux ware that would
do the job.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:53 AM
Bruce Byfield

K3B also supports blu ray (http://www.k3b.org/)
--
Bruce Byfield, Burnaby BC 604-421-7177 (on Pacific time)
blog: https://brucebyfield.wordpress.com

Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 AM
Antonio Olivares

> What app on linux handles blu ray drives
> for reading/writing, ..etc
>
> I am hoping that wodim will be able to handle it,
> but do not know for certain.
>
> Thanx,
>
> JD
>
> --

Original cdrtools can write to blu ray media :

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html

and some folks say that growisofs will also do it.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 AM
JD

On 06/14/2011 07:54 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> [...]
Thanx.
My prior experience with cdrtools was when I had
tried to burn a 4GB dvd. Well it would not do so,
because I was required to obtain a license for
dvdrecord-pro.
I will give it a try, but, not holding my breath

Old 06-15-2011, 03:15 AM
JD

On 06/14/2011 07:54 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:

I dug into k3b web site, and found this under the heading "K3b 2.0
released" :

Support for Blu-ray writing

Only thing I need now is find a way to convert a movie file (mpeg4, or avi)
into a blu-ray compatible structure (i.e. something similar to what "ToVid"
or "dvdauthor" do), and burn it.

Cheers,

JD

Old 06-15-2011, 03:42 AM
Antonio Olivares

> >> What app on linux handles blu ray drives
> >> for reading/writing, ..etc
> >>
> >> I am hoping that wodim will be able to handle it,
> >> but do not know for certain.
> >>
> >> Thanx,
> >>
> >> JD
> >>
> >> --
> > Original cdrtools can write to blu ray media :
> >
> > http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html
> >
> > and some folks say that growisofs will also do it.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Antonio
> Thanx.
> My prior experience with cdrtools was when I had
> tried to burn a 4GB dvd. Well it would not do so,
> because I was required to obtain a license for
> dvdrecord-pro.
> I will give it a try, but, not holding my breath
>
> --

That was a while ago , I remember it too, but now that problem has been eliminated

See
http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/R-3.0.html

for details in case you are not sure.

Regards,