Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 PM
gary clark

Default fedora 12 and no GUI

Hello,

I was was Fedora 4 and then Fedora 9 and just jumped to Fedora 12. When the machine boots up I have only text based system to login as root. What happened to the GUI?

Any answers would really help?

Thanks,
Gary C

Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Kam Leo

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM, gary clark <burslem2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was was Fedora 4 and then Fedora 9 and just jumped to Fedora 12. When the machine boots up I have only text based system to login as root. What happened to the GUI?
>
> Any answers would really help?

They disabled it for security reasons. Edit /etc/pam.d/gdm and
/etc/pam.d/gdm-password to enable root gui-login.

Why not move up to F14 so your system will benefit from security updates?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 PM
gary clark

Hi,

There is no gdm file or gdm-password file in this /etc/pam.d directory?

Thanks,
Gary C