Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Mike Williams

Default After logging out in gnome3 or xfce, I still see some of the user's processes

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> I don't know about Gnome3, but under XFCE wallpapoz survives a logout.
> I've mentioned it to the author, but he doesn't think it's that
> important because "most people don't log out and in."

That's careless coding, I'll avoid that package. Sometimes when I log
out its because I'm doing something that takes lots of memory on a
machine that doesn't have enough RAM to finish without logging out of
X to free up some memory.

Mike

Old 06-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Tim

Joe Zeff:
>> I don't know about Gnome3, but under XFCE wallpapoz survives a logout.
>> I've mentioned it to the author, but he doesn't think it's that
>> important because "most people don't log out and in."

Mike Williams:
> That's careless coding, I'll avoid that package. Sometimes when I log
> out its because I'm doing something that takes lots of memory on a
> machine that doesn't have enough RAM to finish without logging out of
> X to free up some memory.

That sort of thing's been a problem for a very long time, ever since I
started playing with Linux. You can log out and find some things still
running in your name, that haven't quit, and have no reason to still be
around (it's not as if you started up some services that you wanted to
run in your name, and stay running after you logged out).

e.g. Several instances of gvfs-fuse-daemon, crashed mplayers, gconfd-2,
firefox (that requires a reboot to kill, not even kill -9 will kill it),
bash...

Nor is it as if it's just one things that hangs around and will get
re-used when you next log-in. As you log in and out, these things
accumulate.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 21:55 +0930, Tim wrote:
> You can log out and find some things still
> running in your name, that haven't quit, and have no reason to still
> be
> around (it's not as if you started up some services that you wanted to
> run in your name, and stay running after you logged out).

And if you do, that's what nohup is for.

> e.g. Several instances of gvfs-fuse-daemon, crashed mplayers,
> gconfd-2,
> firefox (that requires a reboot to kill, not even kill -9 will kill
> it),

If kill -9 won't kill it, it's suspended in an uninterruptible state in
the kernel, usually waiting for some "short term" event that will never
happen. IOW it's a bug. This sort of thing has always existed in Unix
and related systems and is a PITA, but it's not easy to fix.

poc

Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Joachim Backes

> On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 21:55 +0930, Tim wrote:
>> You can log out and find some things still
>> running in your name, that haven't quit, and have no reason to still
>> be
>> around (it's not as if you started up some services that you wanted to
>> run in your name, and stay running after you logged out).
>
> And if you do, that's what nohup is for.
>
>> e.g. Several instances of gvfs-fuse-daemon, crashed mplayers,
>> gconfd-2,
>> firefox (that requires a reboot to kill, not even kill -9 will kill
>> it),
>
> If kill -9 won't kill it, it's suspended in an uninterruptible state in
> the kernel, usually waiting for some "short term" event that will never
> happen. IOW it's a bug. This sort of thing has always existed in Unix
> and related systems and is a PITA, but it's not easy to fix.
>
> poc

But *all* such processes I saw could be killed by "kill" or "kill -9"
(from some tty after having logged out) so why they still exist?

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 06-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 14:49 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> On 06/15/2011 02:39 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 21:55 +0930, Tim wrote:
> >> You can log out and find some things still
> >> running in your name, that haven't quit, and have no reason to still
> >> be
> >> around (it's not as if you started up some services that you wanted to
> >> run in your name, and stay running after you logged out).
> >
> > And if you do, that's what nohup is for.
> >
> >> e.g. Several instances of gvfs-fuse-daemon, crashed mplayers,
> >> gconfd-2,
> >> firefox (that requires a reboot to kill, not even kill -9 will kill
> >> it),
> >
> > If kill -9 won't kill it, it's suspended in an uninterruptible state in
> > the kernel, usually waiting for some "short term" event that will never
> > happen. IOW it's a bug. This sort of thing has always existed in Unix
> > and related systems and is a PITA, but it's not easy to fix.
> >
> > poc
> >

> But *all* such processes I saw could be killed by "kill" or "kill -9"
> (from some tty after having logged out) so why they still exist?

Well, if they still exist they clearly weren't killed, and conversely if
they were killed then you've been lucky. Note that I'm not addressing
your specific problem. My remarks about "kill" were in a general sense
about Unix/Linux processes, and unkillable processes do appear from time
to time.

poc

Old 06-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Tim

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 08:09 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> If kill -9 won't kill it, it's suspended in an uninterruptible state
> in the kernel, usually waiting for some "short term" event that will
> never happen. IOW it's a bug. This sort of thing has always existed in
> Unix and related systems and is a PITA, but it's not easy to fix.

It's not something that I'd seen often, except for recently. It's been
happening a lot this last couple of weeks on a laptop that I usually
suspend, rather than shutdown. With Firefox being the thing that would
not die.

And, of course, thanks to Firefox's insistence on not starting a new
instance when it reckons Firefox is still running, means you have no
choice but reboot to browse again.

Most of the other processes could be killed, when I've bothered to try.
Though I once found an unkillable bash. I can't recall whether that was
a problem, or not.