Old 06-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Stephen Gallagher

Default Dual monitors, one "desktop"...

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 10:24 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> For my Fedora 15 laptop, I have a docking station at work that has two
> monitors connected to it. When I move between desktops, the right
> monitor keeps its content and the left monitor is the only one that
> changes.
>
> How do I make it so that both displays change? I want to have both
> monitors to be used for each of the virtual desktops, not just one.

You can install gconf-editor and set
/desktop/gnome/shell/workspaces_only_on_primary to FALSE.

However, I should warn you that I've been told by GNOME upstream that
this is an unsupported feature, and I've identified quite a few bugs
with how it behaves.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:14 PM
"Darryl L. Pierce"

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:32:00AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 10:24 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> > For my Fedora 15 laptop, I have a docking station at work that has two
> > monitors connected to it. When I move between desktops, the right
> > monitor keeps its content and the left monitor is the only one that
> > changes.
> >
> > How do I make it so that both displays change? I want to have both
> > monitors to be used for each of the virtual desktops, not just one.
> >

> You can install gconf-editor and set
> /desktop/gnome/shell/workspaces_only_on_primary to FALSE.
>
> However, I should warn you that I've been told by GNOME upstream that
> this is an unsupported feature, and I've identified quite a few bugs
> with how it behaves.

Hrm, I did as you directed and it didn't change anything. I logged out,
logged back in and the right monitor still doesn't change when I switch
desktops.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Old 06-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Michael Cronenworth

On 06/14/2011 10:14 AM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>> You can install gconf-editor and set
>> > /desktop/gnome/shell/workspaces_only_on_primary to FALSE.
>> >
>> > However, I should warn you that I've been told by GNOME upstream that
>> > this is an unsupported feature, and I've identified quite a few bugs
>> > with how it behaves.

This refers to Gnome 2, which used gconf. Gnome 3 uses dconf, but there
is no configuration key available for this functionality.

> Hrm, I did as you directed and it didn't change anything. I logged out,
> logged back in and the right monitor still doesn't change when I switch
> desktops.

I don't think this is possible. I see the same thing on my dual-monitor
setup and I do not know of a way around it. To be honest, it seems like
a bug. The whole desktop should be considered a virtual desktop.

It is probably time to search the Gnome bugzilla and file a bug if one
hasn't been filed already.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Michael Cronenworth