Old 06-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default Further mysteries of F15 and Gnome3 .

First let me say my installation of F15 went extremely well. Sound ,
video, printing, etc worked without problems. My log files were
recorded. But still mysteries continue.

1.. Workspaces
I can fine no good explanation of how workspaces work in Gnome3. Despite
statements on the video their use is far from intuitive. But I figured
it out. However some screwiness remains.
Why are only two workspaces available? I found this can't be changed.
Even stranger I found you could not put instances of the same program in
both workspaces. For example, if Firefox is in one workspace a
different instance of Firefox can't be put in the second workspace. If
anyone out there knows how to do that I would be glad to hear about it.

Finally, alt-tab is supposed to something relative to workspaces but
what?

2, Poweroff
It seems pretty lame that to poweroff you have to hold down the alt key
to change the Suspend option to Poweroff. Why couldn't the menu have
both of them?

I guess these are really questions for the developers but they are still
interesting questions.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 08:49 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> First let me say my installation of F15 went extremely well. Sound ,
> video, printing, etc worked without problems. My log files were
> recorded. But still mysteries continue.
>
> 1.. Workspaces
> I can fine no good explanation of how workspaces work in Gnome3. Despite
> statements on the video their use is far from intuitive. But I figured
> it out. However some screwiness remains.
> Why are only two workspaces available? I found this can't be changed.

That's incorrect. In Gnome 3 the number of workspaces is dynamic, rather
than fixed. If you are on workspace 2 and open a window, a blank
workspace 3 is automatically created below you, for future use.

> Even stranger I found you could not put instances of the same program in
> both workspaces. For example, if Firefox is in one workspace a
> different instance of Firefox can't be put in the second workspace. If
> anyone out there knows how to do that I would be glad to hear about it.

You can put different windows in different workspaces, but if you just
click on the Firefox icon, it does not open a new window by default.
Instead, it takes you to your last-used window of that application.

If you right-click on the Firefox icon, you'll see "New Window"

> Finally, alt-tab is supposed to something relative to workspaces but
> what?

Alt-tab switches between applications, not workspaces.

Alt-~ (tilde) switches between windows of a particular application.

> 2, Poweroff
> It seems pretty lame that to poweroff you have to hold down the alt key
> to change the Suspend option to Poweroff. Why couldn't the menu have
> both of them?

yum install
gnome-shell-extensions-alternative-status-menu-3.0.2-1.g63dd27cgit.fc15.noarch

Old 06-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Alexander Volovics

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 08:49:53AM -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> Even stranger I found you could not put instances of the same program in
> both workspaces. For example, if Firefox is in one workspace a
> different instance of Firefox can't be put in the second workspace. If
> anyone out there knows how to do that I would be glad to hear about it.

Try this Aaron.

1) open a terminal
2) right clik on the terminal window with the mouse and select
'Open Terminal'
3) press 'Ctrl+Alt+Shit+DownArrow'
4) right clik on the terminal window with the mouse and select
'Open Terminal'
5) press 'Ctrl+Alt+Shit+DownArrow'
6) right clik on the terminal window with the mouse and select
'Open Terminal'
7) press 'Ctrl+Alt+Shit+DownArrow'

Now press the 'Windows' key or 'Alt+F1' and look at the panel
with the workspaces in the Activities overview.

See how long you can keep this up before the gnome shell protests

Alexander

Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Genes MailLists

On 06/14/2011 10:41 AM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 08:49:53AM -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
>> Even stranger I found you could not put instances of the same program in
>> both workspaces. For example, if Firefox is in one workspace a
>> different instance of Firefox can't be put in the second workspace. If
>> anyone out there knows how to do that I would be glad to hear about it.
>
> Try this Aaron.
>
> 1) open a terminal
> 2) right clik on the terminal window with the mouse and select
> 'Open Terminal'
> 3) press 'Ctrl+Alt+Shit+DownArrow'
> 4) right clik on the terminal window with the mouse and select
> 'Open Terminal'
> 5) press 'Ctrl+Alt+Shit+DownArrow'
> 6) right clik on the terminal window with the mouse and select
> 'Open Terminal'
> 7) press 'Ctrl+Alt+Shit+DownArrow'
>
> Now press the 'Windows' key or 'Alt+F1' and look at the panel
> with the workspaces in the Activities overview.
>
> See how long you can keep this up before the gnome shell protests
>
> Alexander

Geez - this is deemed clean and simple ? Holy moly with yoghurt ... :-)

Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Genes MailLists

Old 06-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Tuesday 14 June 2011 15:41:58 Alexander Volovics wrote:

[snip]
> 3) press 'Ctrl+Alt+Shit+DownArrow'
[snip]
> 5) press 'Ctrl+Alt+Shit+DownArrow'
[snip]
> 7) press 'Ctrl+Alt+Shit+DownArrow'
[snip]
> See how long you can keep this up before the gnome shell protests

ROTFLMAO !!! :-D

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 06-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Marko Vojinovic

Old 06-15-2011, 01:18 AM
Brian Mury

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 11:46 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 10:41 AM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> > 1) open a terminal
> > 2) right clik on the terminal window with the mouse and select
> > 'Open Terminal'
> > 3) press 'Ctrl+Alt+Shit+DownArrow'
> > 4) right clik on the terminal window with the mouse and select
> > 'Open Terminal'
> > 5) press 'Ctrl+Alt+Shit+DownArrow'
> > 6) right clik on the terminal window with the mouse and select
> > 'Open Terminal'
> > 7) press 'Ctrl+Alt+Shit+DownArrow'
>
> Geez - this is deemed clean and simple ? Holy moly with yoghurt ... :-)

There are other ways to do this if you find that too complicated.

You could go to the new workspace first (just click on it in the
Activities view), the new window will open there, eliminating the
'Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Downarrow".

You can avoid the right click->new window by using ctrl-left click (it
does the same thing).

Or you could avoid all of that by going to the Activities view, and
simply dragging the Terminal icon (or the icon for any other
application) to a workspace on the right - it will open a new window in
whichever workspace you drag it to. Just keep dragging the icon to a the
empty workspace at the bottom of the list, and you'll have get the same
results as Alexander's method.

Or you could just middle-click on the Terminal icon, and it will open a
new window in a new workspace.

Hopefully one of these is clean and simple enough for you.

These tricks, and many more, are described here:
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

Brian